Site upgrade

Beloved stroudgreen.orgers<div><br></div><div>At some point, quite possibly this week, I'm hoping to upgrade the forum software to Vanilla 2.2.<div><br></div><div>I'm hoping that this will fix the dreadful mobile compatibility problems.</div><div><br></div><div>If there are other issues with the forum that you think I should be fixing too then now's a good time to ask.*</div><div><br></div><div>As ever,</div><div>Arkady</div><div><br></div><div>*I can't make people funnier or more interesting**. Stop asking.</div></div><div>**Page views are double what they were this time last year, month on month, so perhaps we are more interesting than we used to be.</div>

Comments

• Is there more page views because of all the students?
  • I think that's unlikely. They're a tiny fraction of the population, and we don't seem to have many of them posting.<div><br></div><div>The average number of posters and active discussions per day has also increased. I think we're just a broader canvas than we used to be. End of 2013 through early 2014 there were fewer active topics and fewer active users, but more comments and more page views than we get now, basically because a very small number of users dominated, made many comments a day, and in one or two cases were probably hitting refresh every two seconds thereby artificially bumping the page view count. One such user is still in the top three posters for the last five years even though they haven't posted in the last two years, for instance. </div><div><br></div><div>It's somewhat less cliquey now, with a wider range of topics and opinions. Though I think we have some way to go before we're back to being as busy (and as amusing) as we were around 2009-12.</div>
  • I should mention that during the upgrade things (links, avatars) are quite likely to break in the short term.
  • The mobile thing should be fixed now. It should look more like the main site on mobiles. What do you think?<div><br></div><div>The instagram widget is still broken but I'm working on it.</div>
  • Not so sure the mobile version works properly. Comes up very small and Nokia-ish on my phone, like days of old....
  • Yes that is what I meant to say
  • Constructive criticism appreciated.<div><br></div><div>I'm not entirely happy with it. I like the mobile home screen, but individual threads look a bit rubbish and, for me at least, the text box isn't working. Will have another look.</div>
  • Site is now undergoing an upgrade. Please be patient.
  • OK folks, how's the mobile site looking now? Looks pretty good on MY NEW SAMSUNG GALAXY S7 EDGE. The 'first post doesn't show' problem should be gone, and it should be formatted properly too.
  • It's looks great. Thanks for your hard work with this Arkady
  • Looks great! - and proper emoji's too! :)
  • No discussions are visible (to me, at least) when not logged in. Am I doing something wrong, or is it deliberate? You won't get any new people joining if they can't see anything on the site.
  • Oh balls. Thanks minim I'll get on to that.
  • edited December 2017
  • I'll have a look. If you put your search term in "speech marks" you get much narrower results.