Comments

• No. Last I heard their plans were for a late bar.
  • Amazing that Dave Strauss has been drinking in Finsbury Park since 1983. He must be hammered. Astonishing he can even put a coherent sentence together.
  • @verga hahahahaha Yeah, a late bar makes sense. That would be such a crap place for a burger and lobster. It's going to happen now, so let's wait and see. Could become a real asset in the area as the silver bullet wasn't really my cup of tea on the weekends. As cool as it is to have a grassroots music venue, the downside is that some grass roots music isn't very good.....
  • edited June 2016
    I suppose the point here is that it might not have your cup of tea but it was many other people's, lots of whom travelled quite a long way to come to Silver Bullet. Like the Big Red in Holloway Rd, it's a meeting place and has a thriving community of its own. The loss of so many independent clubs and music venues in London over the last few years worries me, we'll be left with just the big beasts soon which is sad in a city with such a glorious musical heritage.
  • edited June 2016
    Also, I'm not sure that a late night drinking den at a bus station near a football stadium will have quite the clientele they might hope for.
  • @missannie Of course, I'm just offering the other side. As much as I liked the silver bullet, depending on how good the new place is I imagine I'll be more likely to spend more time there, as I've always been more of a quiet pint and chat kind of person (but that's me...)
  • I never went to the Silver Bullet but am in favout of independent venues. I also prefer a quiet pub but I suspect that the new place will not be it.
  • <div><font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 13.3333px; line-height: normal;">https://www.thecaterer.com/articles/367342/goodmans-david-strauss-to-open-late-night-bar-in-london</span></font></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal; font-family: Arial, Verdana;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal; font-family: Arial, Verdana;">“It will be a late-night bar for people who work in hospitality, in restaurants, supermarkets, takeaways – people who don’t finish work at 5pm.”</span></div><div><br></div><div>I never heard anyone saying 'I'm going to the Silver Bullet to hear some quality music', it was always 'I'm going to the Silver Bullet because it is open and will serve me more alcohol'. So that crowd will still be catered for. I think we are well served for the 'quiet pint' type of place.</div>
  • To be honest, I would love something like Blues Kitchen in Shoreditch.
  • edited June 2016
    <p>I know lots of people that like local rappers, I am one of them, and also it was one of the few places that played dub music.</p> <p>Skinny Man has a big following and regularly played there, as did Rudimental.</p> <p>I feel like moving to wherever it is that people that only like a quiet pint and do not like chavs, music or Carlsberg come from and buying the local pub before turning it into one of them really scary places that plays music and you are ‘allowed’ to talk loudly or (shock horror) even swear a little bit... hell I might even go really mental and let people watch Horse Racing on the TV, employ bar staff that can actually remember to pour the Guinness first and encourage people to talk to one another. 8-} </p>
  • @holbornfox Funnily enough, I would call the crown and the mother red cap "quiet pint" places, and they tick most of those boxes. I just hate shouting, is that so bad? I don't think everywhere should be like that - I'm just speaking for myself as a bar-goer.
  • The Red Cap was rammo on Saturday night!
  • City I think we are well served for the 'quiet pint' type of place. Where are these establishments as I think just about very pub around here is all loud music etc ?
  • Oh, rammo is fine - so long as they're not blaring house music out a la the florin....
  • Seriously? The Stapleton was pretty chilled on a recent visit. The Old Dairy isn't that rowdy mid-week. The Hopsmiths is quiet. The W B Yeats is very welcoming and chilled out - they only have music once a week or so?
  • You can add the The Edward Lear to the list of places to go for a quiet pint now, its been added as one of the places for me to avoid just in case just in case i infect anyone with council estate culture or hoi polloi-ness. In fact it go on the following lists: Sterile Boring Safe Generic Bar staff who can say 'Hi Guys' but cannot work out that if you pick glasses up rather then putting them on a silver tray you wont drop them. £2.35 for a packet of peanuts.
  • I've not been yet, but I think many locals would take 'safe' and 'generic' over 'genuine risk of being glassed' any day. Out of interest, do you have a favourite pub in the area?
  • SG'ers love safe and generic, one look around the pubs on SGR will confirm that.
  • Genuine risk of being glassed?! Is that what happens when you don't drink in an ikea catalogue's wet dream then? I hadn't noticed. Moi? I like the fullback, the 12 pins, the lamb (holloway), the woodbine... used to like the plough and the white lion as well, oh and I like the shaftesbury and Haringay arms. Think you've much more chance of getting glassed at somewhere like Ascot then Stroud Green, little Englander's and all that. I've started drinking in Tottenham again lately as well, great mix of Irish and West Indian people.
  • "Is that what happens when you don't drink in an ikea catalogue's wet dream then?" No, but stuff like that happened often at The Quays. That's all I'm saying. The Lamb is nice. What do you drink at The Fullback? Their beer has a pretty bad rep!
  • @holbornfox Safe and generic it is, but to be honest who cares? If you don't like it don't go, there are plenty of other places. It's not like we're lost for options, and as you've said in the past - you can only drink at so many places in a given week.....

As I said in a previous post, though I'm probably not going to go very often at all, the place has its appeal in certain situations. The front courtyard catches the sun pretty nicely for example.
  • The bar that the Goodman group are opening will be called Zelman Drinks. (For context, they own the rather good Zelman Meats in Soho, named after the company's boss, Misha Zelman). In an advert for a bar manager they say: "We are the people behind Goodman and Burger & Lobster and we are about to open a trendy new bar in the lively Finsbury Park area, right outside of the tube station. With this new concept, the aim still is to provide a unique experience to our customers. We want it to be a great sport bar during match days, amazing cocktail bar, open to live music, a late night bar open to all and especially industry people looking for a last drink before going home, a great neighbourhood place." I present this without comment. I'm sure you will all have opinions... ;)
  • I have opinions. The main one is that the grammar is shocking - right outside 'of' the tube station? Uughh.

Which industrial people are they hoping for? The concept sounds hotchpotch of nonsense.
  • They're referring to the hospitality industry.
  • Fumny advert..

Industrious drinkers?
  • People in the hospitality industry will surely either drink after hours at work or head into town via night tube.
  • Does that mean that they will have a very late licence?
  • @miss annie i think your being a bit fussy on grammar there (sorry couldn't help it).

@south_to_north i don't go in there thanks, and it looks dead whenever i go past as well, i now go in the Hercules with all the other Quays rejects - the glassing ratios have not increased in there though oddly enough (still at zero).

I genuinely hope the new bar gets busy, I would use it if it has music, sells beer and no-one gives me my change on a silver tray.

Rowans was as busy as ever the other week anyway, maybe busier with the SB being shut, and still playing 90's R&B so all is not lost.
  • @HolbornFox - Are you still denying there was ever a nasty fight / bad vibe in the Quays?! miss annie - I imagine a lot of pub and restaurant staff in N4 would welcome somewhere to drink after hours. Not everywhere allows staff to drink on site once the place is shut.
  • Good news. Let's see what the place will be like. Live music will definitely be a plus

What is wrong in "outside of"?