Scruffy Stroud Green

It might just be me but I have noticed a definite scruffiness appearing in the area. Yesterday in Finsbury Park there was loads of uncollected rubbish about the place. I hope the Friends of FP are spending some the energy they project towards the concerts to get the council to clean the place up? It is the same in the estate which sits between Marquis and Lorne Road , been like that for weeks, the gardens haven't been attended to for a long time as well. Dumped rubbish such as old beds mattresses, building rubble seems more prevalent. I am getting approached by beggars much more recently, there were street drinkers having a good time on the bench opposite the White Lion on Saturday afternoon. Has anyone else noticed this or has it always been like this.
  1. Is Stroud Green getting scruffier ?16 votes
    1. Yes
      68.75%
    2. No
      31.25%

Comments

• edited August 2016
    Edit: I think it's always been a bit like this, but as the area gentrifies, so we notice it more. Sorry to use the G-word. Again.
  • There is a bit more rubbish these past few weeks but I put this down to it being summer and more people out and about, etc. There does seem to be an increase in beggars but I think this is probably due to a new intake at the halfway house/hostel nearby.
  • I notice there is always more litter when it has been very windy, so that might go to explain some of the recent scruffiness
  • It is the council's job to clean up the park. Perhaps Haringey could spend some of the millions they rake in for pimping the park out all summer on a couple of new park keepers and refuse collectors? Police moving beggars on from under the bridge - Islington side over the weekend. Just as well as I doubt I'd cope well with the prison sentence I'd get for doing in real life what I dearly wanted to do with that fella's accordion.
  • Use the clean islington app: http://www.islington.gov.uk/services/rubbish-recycling/street-cleansing/Pages/default.aspx It works in Haringey as the app detects the location automatically and will send your report (fly tipping/dog fouling/graffito etc.) to relevant council.
  • edited August 2016
    I live in Islington and use the app all the time. I wasn't aware that it works in Haringey and sends the report to the relevant council.

Last year the Council placed garden waste bins across the road and people dump all sort of rubbish next to them (there have been also been reports of anything but garden waste in the actual bins, but I can't vouch for this). The fact is that fly tipping has increased dramatically since the bins are there. Residents have approached the council and they said that "this is under review". Incidentally, garden waste still gets picked up from the doorsteps in Islington, on the same collection day as the dry recycling. I like the app and it's efficient, but it's a reactive way of solving a problem, rather than a proactive one.
  • Here in Haringey side I tweet with a photo and location to @veoliauk and they assign a job number and usually clear it within 24 hours - generally works well.
  • Didn't know about the app - that's a great idea. I've noticed a fair few mattresses, bits of broken furniture, etc on our street and nearby. I wonder if it's because Islington now charges for bulky waste collections? (£30+).
  • Yes, the app is great. The bulky waste collection thing is understandable given cuts, but it might be counterproductive if leads to more fly tipping.
  • If you have a decent quality item of furniture that could be re-sold to get rid of - fridge still in working order, old but serviceable sofa, old wardrobes etc. the Red Cross shops will pick it up free of charge. Just give them a call or get in touch online - all details are on their website.

I see tons of lovely old pieces of furniture out on the streets that could be going off to a nice new home. Sometimes they do, but I'm running out of space!
  • The Restore Project based near Tottenham Hale picks up furniture for free, too.
  • edited August 2016
    I'm not sure about SG, but on my side of Seven Sisters people dump huge quantities of stale bread all over the street for the pigeons. Though noble in intent I suppose that doesn't stop it from creating an almighty mess!
  • British Heart Foundation will also collect furniture & white goods for resale.
  • BRITISH HEART FOUNDATION IS AMAZING!!

Some really ace furniture in there.....
  • Joining this discussion a bit late but I agree with Ali and think SG is getting scruffier - looks like it is slipping back to how it looked in the pre-gentrification days. Could the increase in street drinkers be as a result of the White Lion of Mortimer changes? They are now using the bench opposite instead of the pub since it's gone all upmarket.....
  • Yes I've noticed more Street drinking. But will they still be doing that come winter? We will see. I disagree it's slipping back though. Nandos has just had a rather nice refit for instance!
  • The amount of people begging and drinking on the street is insane at the moment. I'd have more sympathy if I hadn't given a fiver to the girl who begs outside Sainsburys and then watched her spend it beside me at the bar at the White Lion. p.s. Top marks for the Clean Islington app. We reported a pile of broken furniture and general junk and it was cleared up in a few hours.
  • If they are begging outside a supermarket why not buy them a sandwich would be interesting what the reaction would be
  • A begger told me the other day that he didn't drink or smoke crack, i came out of sainsburys and gave him 2 beers which immediately changed his mind judging by the sparkle in his eyes.
  • The area around Station Place has taken a noticeable nose dive. four people sleeping under the bridge, big crowds of drunks and of lairy youth and some quite noticeable drug dealing most nights. It feels quite unsafe when I come home from work - often around 10.15 at night.

I spotted a couple of police officers yesterday morning and voiced my concerns to them, they said that regular police there clock off at 9pm and it's left to British Transport Police who send most of their time in the office or on National Rail platforms.
  • I totally agree. It s getting much dirtier and not safe as it was. Or at least the perception. Near vagabond it s so bad. Full of litter and with people gathering and doing drugs all day. I wonder why no one really cares about it. I guess it s about time to complain to the MP. Countless mattresses and other things are just left for days everywhere. I just can t believe it.
  • Lots of litter between the station and world's end. matrice broken furniture outside Seasons when I walked up the road at lunch time
    There was an article in the Islington Tribune about similar problems elsewhere on Islington.

Not really sure why it is happening as it is on several fronts
  • MP is Jezza. He's busy.
  • Even on the Haringey side the situation is not great and the MP is not as busy as Corbyn Busy or not busy someone else might respond to this situation too :-)
  • I suspect the other MP is pretty busy with JC sitting on thr opposition front bench at the BREXIT update from Davies. The folks in Hornsey High Street will be rubbing their hands
  • Strangely I have just received an email called Dawn Barnes who is the Lib Dems prospective candidate for Hornsey!
  • Isn't this a Council matter? What do the MPs have to do with it?
  • well it would be great if someone would do something about it !
  • Have you reported it to anyone at the Council Fabruce?