Looking for a dog to walk after school

edited September 2016 in Local discussion
I'm looking for a dog to walk once or twice a week with my daughter, ideally on either Mondays and Thursdays straight after school. My husband is allergic so we can't get a dog ourselves, sadly, but I'd like her to grow up knowing dogs and enjoying being with them, as I did. I am looking for a dog we can collect from an address within a five to ten minute walk from her school, otherwise it will end up being quite a long walk for her (walking home from school, collecting the dog, walking the dog, dropping the dog off, then walking home). She goes to Stroud Green School so if you are within a five to ten minute walk from there, that would be ideal. Please let me know if you have got a child-friendly dog that needs a walk!

Comments

• edited September 2016
    Dearie me! I think the way it works is that you fit in with what the dog and dog owner need rather than the other way around.

Dogs should not be used as after school amusement for a child, they are a lifelong and serious commitment and this should be made extremely clear to children.

Perhaps you should think about starting off with a small pet and getting the child used to the responsibility of caring for an animal that way.
  • @Donna - Check out Borrow My Doggy.
  • @Miss Annie. Bit harsh - people pay a lot of money for reliable dog walking and most dogs of my acquaintance do not object to being walked so this has the potential to be of mutual benefit for all concerned. Was going to mention BorrowMyDoggy too.
  • edited September 2016
    Thanks trainspotter. Totally hear what you are saying miss Annie. Problem is we can't get a dog because my husband is extremely allergic. I appreciate the arrangement would have to be mutually beneficial to everybody concerned. Just wanted to be upfront and realistic about what we could offer and why. I know some people pay dog walkers and obviously we are not asking for money.
    The dog will enjoy the walk, hopefully, and I think it would really help my daughter to become more confident and knowledgeable around animals in general and dogs specifically. There are so many children out there who are scared of dogs from bad experiences - I am hoping she will have great experiences with a dog she gets to know really well and learn to love dogs as a result.
    I've already joined borrow my doggy but thanks for the tip. It's an interesting site, you can see lots of people have dogs but you can't contact them because they haven't paid £10!
  • Couple of people have now offered their dogs once a week for a walk, thanks everyone.
  • edited December 2017
  • Good question. I've taken out insurance via borrowmydoggy so if it works out I might ask the other person to subscribe to the site (then we are both covered).