Dog owners/cat slaves

Hiya - I will be moving to the area quite soon with my 10 yo grumpy GS girl and 4 not so grumpy cats. Would love to get in touch with other dog owners and cat slaves near by? Also, if anyone is aware of a step free access to Parkland Walk? Or at least access that does not involve steep stairs? My girl is 10, had a double hip replacement and both cruciates operated on plus problems with spine so stairs are not a great idea for her.. Thanks a lot :) (looks like I now have a spam filter on my account here hmmmm for posting too fast )

Comments

• Finsbury Park entrance is step free.

I think you will meet other friendly dog walkers soon enough.
  • Oh, I know Finsbury Park is step free and was really asking about step free access to Parkland Walk, thanks @HolbornFox My girl is not dog friendly so not likely to meet anyone to be honest. She got very grumpy after all the health problems. Great with people but not so with dogs. By get in touch I meant online rather :)
  • Yes the entrance to parkland walk by Finsbury Park is step free.
  • That is great, thanks. Closest one to me will be Florence Road between the houses there but that has got a lot of steps. Finsbury Park side will be close enough to walk my old grumpy girl to. Oh dear - just got another spam block on my account. Will try sending again after a ciggy ...as "You have posted 2 times within 60 seconds. A spam block is now in effect on your account. You must wait at least 240 seconds before attempting to post again" Is there a FB equivalent of this group please? The only groups I have found on FB relating to area were just full of adverts and no "community" chat whatsoever..
  • It is step free at Blythwood Road as well thinking about it although it is a steep slope to get there.

Are the ornamental ponds at wanstead still in good condition?
  • Thanks again - all in Wanstead is still as it should be. You can even see some grass from under the litter left by the ones who come here to get in touch with nature on sunny weekends.....
  • edited November 2016
    Your girl is beautiful looks a lot like one I grew up with.

The parkland walk can be challenging if they are not dog friendly, so many dog walkers especially at weekends.

You might want to check out Granville Rd Spinney, we take ours. One isn't friendly but we just wait till it's clear.
  • If you're closer to Stapleton Hall Road, you can also get step free access to Parkland walk from the Lancaster Road entrance. It is quite steep though.
  • edited November 2016
    Thanks @Toddlesocks and @Donna - I hope to move before Christmas rather then after so will check all the tips then. Zara turned 10 in August, she had double hip replacement when she was 6 and both cruciates operated on last year - about a week ago she needed the plate and screws from one knee removed as it was causing infections. She also has spine problems. Saying that - mentally she is a puppy, wants to chase her ball and in her head is not ready to slow down. Where we live now, between Wanstead Flats and Wanstead Park (E11) - there is masses of dog walkers about and the regular ones go by the code "If I see a dog on a lead I do not allow my dog to run up to it". But then you always get weekend walkers where I have Zara on a lead next to me and a dog appears from nowhere running straight at her and owner like 100 metres away (so not in control of his/her dog) shouts "oh do not worry, he/she is friendly, only wants to play". That drives me bonkers to be honest as there is a reason why I have my dog on a lead. She has never bitten a dog but she will growl bark act like a psycho on a lead when she sees a dog. Which is strange as I always had a dog walker and she was also in dog daycare with other dogs and never any problems. I got to conclusion it must be me, she is acting like that with me. Guarding me in a weird way from other dogs. She is great with people though - unless we come across someone smelling of alcohol/wearing a hoodie and it is dark-ish outside. From what I see online at the moment, the entrance in between houses on Florence Road as per this website may be not too bad - has steps but they do not seem to steep http://www.finsburypark.life/things-to-do-in-finsbury-park/parkland-walk.html I will check them all - thanks for all the suggestions. Are there a lot of cats in the area? I have 4 boys. 3 are not very keen to approach strangers but one is a real pain. I got good neighbours here and they do not mind coming home and seeing Teddy asleep on their bed/in their sink etc (he likes to visit people, he is way too social for his own good) as he gets in trough people's open windows.. sighhhh. Teddy is 10, same as Zara. @Toddlesocks what dog have you got? Not sure about the place you mention - I am working with Google Maps only now. EDIT - found it...thanks. May be a bit too far for my old girl to walk though. At the moment we only cross a road and we are on Wanstead Flats - massivvvvvve green open spaces and you can see all around so can keep on eye on other dogs and distance. This is my whole gang - Zara shattered after a session with a physiotherapist and cats waiting for a spider to fall down ![](http://i68.tinypic.com/2iiba5k.jpg "") Fred (left) and Teddy (right) - Teddy is the one with wandering spirit and way too sociable ![](http://i65.tinypic.com/2vd5vnk.jpg "") This is George ![](http://i67.tinypic.com/14jyyh4.jpg "") And this is Macius ![](http://i63.tinypic.com/16hl2ld.jpg "") And Zara - she always has a ball, always ![](http://i67.tinypic.com/34fxo94.jpg "")
  • That is a very attractive furry family Anka. I hope you all settle well in your new home.

I have never gone up those stairs in Florence Rd, but that stretch of the Parkland Walk is not to bad for space and seeing others approaching.

I have two , a 5yr old Jack Russell X , and 9 yr old Beauceron (a large French Shepherd).

The Beauceron is a rescue dog, we have had her since around 11 months old . Sounds a lot like your girl in temperament, so understand.

She has always got on with larger dogs better, I guess being what she was used to as she is an ex guard dog, dumped with others when a factory closed. She has a lovely nature, very loyal and loving so was really worth working with, and all effort.

Unfortunately she got attacked by two staffs a few yrs ago, and has been nervous of certain dogs since.

She can be friendly and playful with some friendly dogs, however others can instantly spark her off. If she senses any wariness or aggression , she gives it the big one, bouncing around. However like your girl , has never bit another dog, is just trying to warn them off!

She still goes into guard dog mode in the dark all these yrs later, keeps a close eye on everything , especially anyone getting near us / rowdy.

Unfortunatley I developed mobility issues so cannot walk them, my husband does that.
  • @Toddlesocks awwww they are both lovely xx Hope to move before rather than after Christmas so not too long to go. Tried to investigate that Florence Rd entrance yeaterday but it was after dark so did not see much. Alrhough the space between houses to get there is quite marrow so will have to keep my grumpy 40kg of fur on a short lead while getting there. I have a 10 metre strong flexi lead so she is on a lead 90% of the time but it is dogs running up to her that I always worry about. Wish people would not allow rheir off the lead dogs to run up to a dog that is on a lead but...
  • Yes it is very narrow entrance, was a while before I noticed, hopefully it will mostly be a quiet entrance.
  • Would never think this is an entrance to there if not for a website I came across some time ago while researching the area [finsburypark.life/things-to-do-in-finsbury-park/parkland-walk.html](http://www.finsburypark.life/things-to-do-in-finsbury-park/parkland-walk.html "finsburypark.life/things-to-do-in-finsbury-park/parkland-walk.html")
  • That's the one I use all the time. Quite cleaver when they repaired the steps that they have put rail sleepers end to end on the left as you go up so you don't have to bump your wheels when pushing up a bike.
  • And it did not look very steep. Have to see it in daylight though to see if suitable for my grumpy old girl
  • I will be looking for a day care for Zara from January as leaving her home alone with just a dog walker to break her day would probably makes neighbours suicidal - she is not destructive in any way but barks/howls, separation anxiety to the extreme. I do not particularly want to use any "professional" service as they often have too many dogs in their care and Zara is over 10 years old, likes to sleep a lot. Ideally someone who does not have own dog or has one older, calm dog and would be able to look after her for me between 7:30 am and 6 pm on a Mon-Fri basis - very local to Florence Road and with own garden and no steps access to their house/flat would be ideal. Zara will not need a walk, she just needs daytime company. I take her for walks myself before/after work - she can not walk too much anyway so I want all her walks to be with me. Zara lives with 4 cats but not sure how she would be with "strange" cats. Probably ok with a confident cat that does not run away from her. Probably not so with a cat that would run away because then she would want to chase and force him to be her friends scaring the cat in the process... She has been group walked with other dogs and in day care for years and if fine with "her" group of dogs - just as long as there are no balls involved. She is very possessive over balls. All balls are HERS sighhhh Price negotiable - if you know anyone, please ask them to contact me via PM here? Thanks a lot.
  • Just to clarify - I do not want someone to stay with my dog in my place on a Mon-Fri basis. I want to find someone who will be able to pick her up from me before I go to work and drop her off when I get back. And look after her in his/her place - so must be ground floor with own garden and no steps. Of course will need references as Zara is my baby. Thanks.