A Burning Question...

edited November 2007 in Local discussion
Does anyone know where we could buy wood for our fire?

Comments

• edited 3:22PM
    There's a timber yard on Fairbridge Road. It may be worth trying there for firewood.
  • AliAli
    edited 3:22PM
    Think we are smokless Zone which came in after the Grta London Smogs of the 50s.

I think you suuposed to use a smokeless fuel such as Coalite.

Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_Air_Act_1956
  • edited November 2007
    We're also after a good, local supplier of smokeless fuel. Bizarrely enough, I keep meaning to try Woody's. They have a lot of fuels just inside the front door. I'll let you know when i go there later.
    I'm suffering from fireplace envy.
  • edited November 2007
    Sorry Colette! It seems Woody's only do BBQ fuel, so the best I've found for a 10kg bag of Big K smokeless fire fuel: Londis Ferme Park Road £3.99 Last Stop Service Station £4.99 Take a car or something, because I've just carried one back with some small shopping and it wasn't fun! Both places also sell bags of wood/logs. The law is in your hands!
    Cheers all.

Carried some back from a service station on holloway road - I suspect I may have broken my back...

Rather strangely the terms of our leasehold say we're only allowed to burn wood...
    I had a wood burner when I lived in Kings Cross. Perfectly legal. I think the smokeless fuel thing doesn't include wood. Not sure how that works but you can burn stuff in London for sure.
  • AliAli
    I still don't think you can leggaly but am not sure.

There is loads about this on

http://www.airquality.co.uk/archive/smoke_control/index.php

Harringey is smoke control zone and wood is not on the approved list of fuels.

It all goes back to the great smogs in Lonodn in the 1950s
    I'm pretty sure you can't burn wood in a domestic dwelling. But then again I doubt anyone is really going to stop you.
  • edited January 2008
    Maybe its just smokeless fuels then. Though I am ashamed (if its illegal) to admit i've burnt wood quite merrily in an old flat in Kings Cross _(Remember the woodburner in the corner, Andy?)_ There's a whole raft of various smokeless fuels for sale all stacked up outside Londis on Ferme Park.
  • AliAli
    love all the google adds that come up on the left when you access this. trying to sell us Woodburning stoves we aren't allowed to use !
    You can use a wood stove according to <a href="http://www.uksmokecontrolareas.co.uk/index.php">this</a>. But I don't think you can burn wood in an open fire ( just smokeless fuel ).

Are Pappageno's breaking the law by burning wood in an unauthorized appliance?
    No. I think commercial premises can apply for a permit.
    Great, our fire is a stove rather than an open one. I'll be buying wood next, as this smokless fuel I got last time is so very hard to ignite.