Litter Picking while Jogging (or 'Plogging'!)

Hi everyone! I've been living in Stroud Green for two and a half years, next to the Old Dairy, but have only just joined the site. Nice to meet you all!

I watched a video the other day about a thing people do in Scandinavia called plogging - it's a mixture of litter picking and jogging, where you basically meet up in a group with gloves and a bin bag and go for a run, but picking up litter as you go. It's really good exercise because you're bending down and jumping up all the time, with the added bonus of clearing up the rubbish in whichever area you choose to run in! I thought it was a really good idea and would love to do something around here as I do sometimes get depressed about the amount of rubbish, particularly in Finsbury Park.

I was wondering if anyone would like to join me in getting a group together? Please let me know if this is something you would be interested in!

All the best and Happy New Year!

Sophie

Comments

• I won't be joining you, SophieMc, but I think this is a laudable undertaking, although I can't help feeling that the litter is a secondary problem; the real problem is the antisocial arses who drop litter. Still, you can hardly be expected to roam in gangs, running after litter buggers, stuffing their litter down their throats, and then summarily garrotting them with a twisted bin bag (can you?) They wouldn't be missed.

Seriously, though, a laudable undertaking.
  • grennersgrenners Ferme Park Road, N4
    When I was at school a complete nutcase teacher (Jock the Cock) gave me a detention for walking past a littered can of Coca Cola and not picking it up. It wasn't even on school grounds but a couple of streets away. This was my mistake to try to tell him why it wasn't my responsibility as I was outside of school grounds. I'm constantly depressed by the amount of litter. People should be hot with a truncheon if seen dropping litter.
  • They are doing something like this already in Bruce Castle.

As gardener-joe would say, from The Twitter: