Yeast

2»

Comments

• Somebody has sent me a different recipe.

https://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/recipes/sourdough-bread

I just might have another go if I find enough flour. I still think it's a daft middle class fad BUT I'm middle class and I do like a challenge. Nobody ever called me a quitter. (Well they did actually. All too often.)
  • I saw flour being delivered to the Blue Owl about an hour a go. They have extended what they still. You can get Turkish flatbreads imported fresh every morning from Green Lanes
  • Sourdough is very hard to do at home without a bakers' oven. I find wether breads like focaccia much easier.
  • edited May 2020
    I recommend a bread machine with strong white flour, a few tasty ingredients and an instruction manual. Never, ever fails.

• Making bread in a machine got me into baking, because I found it unsatisfying. it smells good but flavour is really lacking. May as well buy supermarket bread. I have made sourdough a number of times. Good sourdough is fantastic. But to make really good sourdough takes too much effort for my liking. I am a huge fan of no-knead, which uses a tiny amount of yeast (1/4 tsp) and a long rise (anything from 12-18 hours). Much better than machine bread, and not much effort.
  • Bread is something you make with left over pizza dough...
  • I'm also a sourdough experimenter. But there are times, it just won't rise enough. I think it all gets better as the weather warms up. Sometimes I add a bit of yeast to the loaf mixture. You still get the sourdough taste, but not the flat, heavy brick effect.
  • I'm doing a sourdough twice a week. The bread is great but ordinarily it would be a hassle. Best tip I’ve found is to bake in an iron pot. Keep the lid on for first 25 minutes then 10 minutes without. It keeps the steam in which is what you need. Glorious!