Preserved lemons

LizLiz
edited September 2010 in Local discussion
Anyone know where I can get them locally? Trawled Yasar Halim and a couple of other Turkish grocers on Green Lanes today with no luck.

Comments

• edited 12:38AM
    waitrose on holloway road has them, but you can get them cheaper at a north African butcher on seven sisters road, on the stretch between holloway road and hornsey road, opposite block busters as I remember...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Budgen's Crouch End also used to have them.
    Sainsbury's in Harringay or the Lebanese shop in Kentish Town. The bottled ones are better for a tagine of chicken in preserved Lemons.
  • PruPru
    edited 12:38AM
    The best ones (I think) come from the Al Baraka Algerian butchers next door to the college / library on Blackstock Road. They sell them loose in brine from big tubs (alongside the olives) or pre-packed in little plastic containers of 6 or so.

These preserved lemons are bigger than the tiny ones you get in glass jars and of a much better quality (they also have the ones in glass jars).
    What does one use a preserved lemon for?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Make your own?? It's very easy.

1. Wash, scrub and dry your lemons. trim the ends, making a flat base at either end around the size of a small coin.

2. Quarter the lemons to within a half inch of the base, leaving them attached.

3. Sprinkle a handful of salt into the base of a mason jar and start adding the lemons. Stuff as much salt into the cavities of the attached lemons as the lemons will hold.

4. When the jar is full, top with another handful of salt and add boiling water to make sure that all the lemons are fully covered. Leave an air space at the top of the jar. Seal it up and leave for about a month.