Miso closing down

edited November 2010 in Local discussion
Not much else to say on the subject, other than Miso is closing down on Sunday 28th apparently. A possibly unreliable Chinese source told me that they've sold it to Turkish buyers who are going to turn it into a kebab shop.

I'm not surprised as Miso was pretty much always empty, but I did used to pop in there every once in a while.

Comments

• edited 9:15PM
    I went on the opening weekend, and my food didn't arrive until after the rest of the group had finished. We were not impressed, and I haven't been back. It's also the only time I've ever seen a restaurant stay part of the same chain, but put an 'under new management' sign in the window. I could only assume they'd sent in a head office troubleshooter or something, but clearly it wasn't enough.
    A shame - not much better than the other Chinese places, but then not much more expensive either. Please god not another kebab shop though.
    MISO was one of those places where you walked past and wondered every time how it was still managing to stay open...always empty. Had a couple of take-outs and maybe a quick bite but always under the duress of not having much time and just needing a fill. Always average at best.

As an aside....i have been surprised to see Dudleys still open. The whole concept didn't seem to lend itself to the SG audience and regular buyers (its not a bad concept, but how many pancakes can you eat regularly?). It's nice to be proved wrong...it makes me sad seeing someone having a go with something new and it not working out.
    Dudley's seem to be mainly for teenage dates, I think it's quite sweet.
    I went to Dudley’s for the first time the other day. I thought it was really good.
    What did you have? I had a look at the menu online and you get a choice of something like 80 different types!
    We've used Miso for takeaway loads since it has been open - it's not particularly exciting food but it's fairly priced and you know what you're getting. I don't really mind if another kebab shop opens as an alternative to the one near the chicken shop, as the guy in there (the kebab shop) rubbed me up the wrong way and we've boycotted it ever since.
    Something spicy for the main – jalapenos, pepperoni etc. It was like a very-thin based pizza. Then a mixed berry one to finish – scrummy. We shared each course and still didn’t manage to finish the second one, they’re massive.
    I quite like Miso for takeaways. If it was a proper Dalston-style eat in kebabery grill then that would be good. Otherwise a Vietnamese would go down a storm judging by the excitement and disappointment of the pre-Dudley's almost opening of one
    I was hoping that Dotori would seize its opportunity - it would be a great spot for them and give them more room for the kitchen.
    Right. I'm going then....with a revised positive attitude.

Talking of Kebab shops (emma), i'd like to nominate Crystal on Holloway Road as the best in the area. For £4, you get chicken or lamb stew, rice or cous cous, warm bread AND a mixed salad. I go there when i haven't touched a drop of booze too.
    I really miss Mey. They used to do lambs testicles.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @sincers - I couldn't quite place my finger on why I thought you weren't a girl (till told otherwise). Now I feel I'm getting somewhere.
    I see your point, but I'm definitely NOT a girl. A penchant for testicles doesn't necessarily define you. ....now there's a sentence you won't come across often!
    @Misscara, considering the Chinese 'source' in question practically has shares in the place, I think it's pretty safe to say it is closing. What she wasn't so certain about what was is replacing it. She mumbled something about Turks that I couldn't make out properly...
    I only ventured to Miso once and found all the meat so gristly it was inedible. My vegetarian friends seem to like it much better. I too would be thrilled to see a Vietnamese (or a butcher!)

@Emma - I too love Crystal Kebab on Holloway Road. It's where all the northern tour managers stop off on the way out of London after a show and was the only good thing about going to Nambucca.
  • AliAli
    edited 9:15PM
    There is a butcher already just up Crouch Hill
    And isn't there one on the bottom end of SGR too?
    Thats a shame I was willing it to stay open. I only just found out they delivered and Ive been getting crispy duck, my guilty pleasure.

I like popping in there and it's a nice place to go and the staff are nice.
    Oh well.

I love Dudley's too and the lemon and sugar pancakes, the mars bar one is nice too and I take my two little one's in there to share a milkshake too. The guy who owns it is lovely. The one in Barnet is always packed.

Ive seen teenagers on what looks like dates too which I think is really sweet, I used to go to Wimpey in Muswell Hill many moons ago. There arent many places for them to go really! So that is nice.

Let's hope it stays open.

Bridget
    I thought Dudley's wasn't nice.
    Nooooooo!

Our favourite Stroud Green restaurant closing down. How can this be?

I know, I know it's always completely empty, unless we're eating there, but if that was the reason then it would have closed down years ago.
  • Meh, that's a wee shame.

I've had takeaway meals from there a few times and they've mostly been pretty good for the money.

I'd welcome a decent kebab place open at antisocial hours.
    And by that, all I'm really asking for is a place that uses pitta breads instead of those useless wraps all the reasonable-looking places along SGR and Blackstock Road use...

If it sold pakora... that would change everything...
    I've always thought of it as "Miso Hornsey" which never fails to make me smile.

(yes, i know. but Miso SG isn't as amusing)
    @Brodiej agreed on Crystal Kebabs. Two things spring to mind:

1) Walking down Holloway at about 3am, seeing loads of police cars lined up and me thinking 'what's going on here?' Walk up to Crystal and all the coppers are patiently lining up for their grub!

2) Talking to a guy in Hong Kong who was from London about food, and both of us suddenly exclaiming 'Crystal kebabs!' at the same time.

Truly the mark of a great eatery.
    Miso is/was a chain of 9 restaurants but the Stroud Green one has always been running at a loss, and was propped up by the other profitable branches, so I've been told (but I had figured that out myself anyway).
    I thought it was a much bigger chain than that!

Crispy - that's brilliant.
  • hsbhsb
    edited 9:15PM
    Dudleys - had it once. It was the worst pancake I have ever had the misfortune to eat. Never been back.
    Dudleys has closed, it looks like for good.