Boulangerie Bon Matin

Comments

• edited 1:06PM
    I haven't been yet but am looking forward to going. Coffee can be a very personal taste so I am relaxed on that front, as with service.
  • edited December 2017
    I've always found Stroud Green to be friendly when it comes to bars, shops and pubs. A few people at Tesco are a bit unfriendly but most are lovely. That security guard at Sainsburys Local is a bit over eager in following people about too.

I still have to check out Bon Matin.
  • RoyRoy
    edited 1:06PM
    @miss annie: is that the Brioche D'Or? The tiny cafe which has a sign that seems to be trying to say "Costa" but has done something very odd with the "C" in "Costa"? I've had coffee there and it was pleasant enough... -roy
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I agree with @Misscara and I know you used to be in the 'industry' once, but 'service' should be pervasive and not the preserve of the catering and retail sectors. I'm one of those sit-at-desk all day, office job types and I insist that me and my team don't let the phone ring more than twice before it's answered etc. I have a massive bug-bare about the way people conduct themselves in any line of business - its good business to be polite, attentive etc. Perhaps it's because I came from the 'industry' too once.
  • RoyRoy
    edited 1:06PM
    @Misscara: AIUI it's a standard postie trick. They know that many (most?) people won't be in, particularly during the week, so they'll just end up carrying a huge load of packages on their round, most of which they'll end up having to carry back to the depot. So instead, they complete the "while you were out" cards back at the delivery office, before even setting off on their round. Then they leave the packages behind, and deliver the pre-filled cards along with the mail as they do their round. Quicker and easier for them, and a huge nuisance for you. You just have to hope that this isn't your new regular postie, otherwise this may well happen with *every* package you receive for the forseeable future. -roy
    We ate at BBM a few weeks ago. not very imprerssed. The decor and back room are lovely, and I loved the tiles on the floor at the front, but the food was disappointing.

Wife had scrambled eggs and smoked salmon on rye. The eggs were good but there was so much, and not very much smoked salmon. It felt mean for about £6.

I had veggie breakfast. I ordered fried eggs and got scrambled. They were good, though, but so much! Rye toast was good, mushrooms were mediocre as was tomato. baked beans were baked beans. The veggie sausage was disgusting.

Overall, slightly disappointed. I'd go back for a pastry and tea, probably, but not a meal. It reminded me of a bad Sable D'Or breakfast - same sausages, same components.

I'd much rather have a Croque Madame from FR.
  • edited April 2011
    I love the veggie sausage there, and I usually can't abide them.
    @Arkady, you and I clearly don't see eye to eye! (By which I mean that I am right and you are wrong)
    I’m pretty sure that whether or not one likes a particular sausage is subjective and therefore not worth an argument. If you want an argument then give me a nod, I have *loads*.
  • edited April 2011
    One word: gentrification.

A sad day for N4 when this place opened
    What is wrong with gentrification?
    Gentrification?

LIDL is a relatively newcomer to the area. 99p Stores opened just before Christmas and another new fried chicken takeaway has opened at top of Blackstock Rd.
    Yes there are black cabs at the BR side of FP station but they seem to pick up fares very infrequently.
    If BBM is gentrification, then could we have a lot lot more of it please.
    @ Sevlow. You'll be able to tell if the area has become gentrified by the survival / decline of BBM. I could open a branch of Harrods on SGR, but that doesn't mean the population exists for it to flourish. Theres room for all types of places in N4, BBM reflects a demand and supply issue. If it was called, "Greasy Spoon teas and coffees" and had plastic tables and chairs, but all the prices were the same as BBM would that be gentrification too?
    I think if Harrods did open up on SGR it would have been a result of market research, based on local population demographics complimentary businesses (eg. Season/Sains.) etc. I'm sure any business would have done the same, and I've no-doubt BBM would have done so. BBM surely indicates "gentrification". I've not been there, but I love the look and feel it gives the place. I'm not sure what the objection is.
  • edited April 2011
    One has to do a lot of Market research as part of a business plan in order to make any bank part with cash for a new business. No one in their right mind would open a posh cafe hoping that it would draw in punters from outside the area, they would have to be sure that they're already there, champing at the bit for a new place to while away the afternoons. I wouldn't go in Harrods even if it was on the doorstep. It's not the prices that put me off it's the sheer vulgarity of it. Selfridges now, that's a horse of a different colour.
    It's worth a visit only for the D&D shrine, which I assume the new owners have ripped out.
    Appears the name Harrods is sending people down the wrong path. It was just the most extreme opposite i could think of in 2 secs. The point is that just because a certain type of shop exists on a high street, doesn't mean that the area is gentrified. If its target market is that of "gentrified" demographics, then if it survives/thrives then maybe the area is moving that way. If it were to fail, then that would suggest that its target market doesn't exist in that area. I was making a counter argument for some reason :-) Sevlow will be proven right i think, but i don't think its a sad day at all. BBM is a great addition, and its success suggests that N4 was more than ready for it.
    I'm sure Harrods was simply used for analogous reasons. Though it would be interesting to find out what the best single representation of high street gentrification might be.
    M&S / Waitrose?
    There's an M&S in Wood Green and a Waitrose on Holloway rd. ...next
    Starbucks?
    The absence of fried chicken / burger / kebab shops?
    I wonder which point in London is the furthest from a fried chicken shop (not counting parks).
  • IanIan
    edited April 2011
    @Arkady - top floor of the shard of glass?