New Visitors Start Here

123457»

Comments

• edited 12:08PM
    Hello Stoobydoo Welcome to the wondrous world of SG. Miss A
    Hello,

I am new, I have spent 2 Months living very close to the Dairy, which is now my 'local', and am very much enjoying Stroud Green. I don't have a dog but I do sometimes walk a dog (look out for a girl being walked by a boxer).

Lovely site, very much enjoying the photo thread - although I am crap at it. Thinking of joining the book group and would like to know more about these drinking groups!
    Cristo - you must be Clandestinos!?
  • gemgem
    edited 12:08PM
    Hi All, I am a new member, moved into the area just over a year ago, but found out about this site recently at a dinner party in the neighbourhood. I love it, lots of useful and fun stuff here and just as coyote I like the photo thread especially.

Lived in N4 before, moved to N8 for about 10 years and now back to N4, just off SGR. Loving the Parkland Walk and the restaurants, but I must admit I used to visit the SGR restaurants more often when I lived in N8. Will have to do some catching up soon.

Nice reading you all:-)!
    Hi all,

I'm a long-term lurker who's finally decided to go legit. Well, legit-ish; Mexcat isn't the name on my birth certificate. I lived in N8 for 2 years before being seduced by the bright lights of Stroud Green Road & moving to N4, where I've been for the last 6 years. I love the area - I have to, as I'm freelance so I spend most of my time here. I also spend much of my time trawling SG.org for tips & tiffs; this is probably why I'm not the world's most successful freelancer.
    Hi all

I'm moving to Regina Road at the end of August and am really please something like this forum exists. I've lived in Maida Vale for the last year or so and, although I love the area, it's very "offish" and not very community focussed. I'm looking forward to actually feeling at home in N4 and getting involved in some community stuff.

Horrah!

Rob
  • IanIan
    @tharobc welcome to Stroud Green and, indeed, to my street. (You will be quiet won't you :-)). This forum is a great way of feeling part of a community in our little corner of London. By and large we rub along well.
    Hello SG-ers. I'm hoping that Finsbury Parkers are welcome here. We are in Finsbury Park Road but seem to end up in SG fairly often.
    @Ian - i'm the model neighbour - scouts honour.

Itching to get moved now. Got a few weeks left here beforehand and counting down the days a bit.

First question. Good pubs? I hear a lot about The Old Dairy but any other tips?
    @tharobc - welcome. The Stapleton Taven opposite the Dairy is now a splendid public house. The Noble - a little further up the hill - is also charming. The Faltering Fullback always receives high praise, but tends to suffer from overcrowding, a dank smell, and a lack of decent ale options.This is compensated for by pleasing and unusual decor, a unique Ewok Village, and easy-on-the-eye barmaids (albeit with a tendency towards miserablism). The World's End is somewhat underated here in my opinion - good ale, well kept, and good live music. At the rougher end of the market there is the Park Tavern (old man's pub with excellent Guinness), The White Lion of Mortimer (Weatherspoons, currently undergoing something of a boycott by some SG.org members) and - if you're really brave - the exceptionaly peculiar Nicholas Nickelby. I await your reviews! Arky
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Thanks both!

I'm a big fan of both a slightly pretentious gastro pub and a lassic sticky floored boozer, so it sounds like stroud green is the place for me!!
    What does everyone think of the places in Crouch end ?. I have visited most of them but would be keen to know other opinions ?
    The Harringay Arms every time.
    Stroud Green boozers win venue for venue. The Haringey good, as is Kiss the Sky but you can keep the rest.
    I like the Queens Head, but I am overpriced and pretentious. I think the friendly service (as in the Dairy) gives it points.
    I like the Queens too, and Kiss the Sky. I've always thought that the King's Head was overrated although I do like the comedy club downstairs. I do not like the Devonshire, same lack of ambience as the White Lion but more offensive carpet.
  • valval
    Sometimes I wonder if there is some way we can thank/reward Andy for starting and maintaining this brilliant community wesite? Should there come a time when we make a contribution? I have lived in Lancaster Road for more than 40 years and have met many lovely local people through this site this year, as they helped me out with my glut of tadpoles! I also enjoy reading all the witty banter. My favourite celebrity sighting was John Simm in Londis.
  • Hi,

I moved to Stroud Green (bottom of Oakfield Road - does that count?!) just over a year ago and stumbled across this site the other day. Just a quick hello!
    @abugintheground: sure does. It's the 'Lower East Side'. Welcome.
    Hello, been lurking on here for a while but took the plunge to join.

Lived in N8 on Ferme Park Rd for about 18 months and have recently bought a flat with my partner on Grenville Road. It is N19 but it's still Stroud Green in my eyes.