Free Local Wifi

edited August 2011 in Local discussion
Hi all

Moving to SG in just over a week and know, from bitter experience, that it is likely to be weeks before I have a proper broadband service up and running again.

Are there any local cafes, pubs etc that have wifi for customers? I wont just sit on the kerb outside either - i'll actually buy coffee!

Thanks.

Comments

• edited August 2011
    Just about all of them.

Old Dairy
    Dream River Cafe
    White Lion of Mortimer
    Front Room (but no electric plugs)
    Finsbury Park lake cafe
    Sugar Lounge
    (all free)

Of these in my opinion the best signal is WLM.

Definitely not The Noble
    Stapleton wifi very unreliable.
    Don't know about Bon Matin.

Anywhere else?
  • Good for Food has free wi-fi. OK signal.

The Front Room has a plug in the back room. Usually a good signal.

WLM's connection is unreliable. A few months ago, I desperately needed to send a document at 9pm. Our broadband was down, and all the cafes were closed. Went to WLM. Couldn't get online. Had to work out how to send a Word file through my phone.
  • KazKaz
    edited 4:37AM
    Hornesy library has free wifi as well. And plugs. <http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index/community_and_leisure/libraries/findalibrary/hornseylibrary.htm>; You don't have to buy coffee, but if you do you will be served by a pirate, something that always brightens up my day! Not sure about the N4 one on Blackstock road. Gail's in Crouch End has both free wifi and plugs. Good food, (sandwiches, pastries etc), but perhaps a bit on the pricey side. I did not have internet for a while and got a dongle, the Carphone Warehouse can check the coverage in your area. I got one from 3 mobile and was very happy with it. Just watch your youtube surfing and downloading though, it can get expensive.
  • KazKaz
    *Hornsey* dammit.
  • edited 4:37AM
    Wow - thanks everyone. What a lovely bunch!
  • AliAli
    I have also noticed that a few people have home wireless that has not been secured so you could freeload on one if you can find one. It is illegal though so don’t get caught. You might get lucky and find one in range. If you an O2 customer on your mobile use their broadband as you will get a great deal. This from list a lot of places across London and might be useful <http://www.timeout.com/london/aroundtown/features/6187/1.html>;
  • KazKaz
    Had the same issue as rainbow_carnage a while back. (No internet at home and internet down where I went.) What I found was that the cafes/bars have different providers. I think the Sugar Lounge and Stapleton (?) are on BT, while WLM is on The Cloud. So, unless the internet has just disappeared from the area (is this even possible?), you should be able to get on it somewhere on SGR until pub closing time.
  • IanIan
    Cats also has free wifi.
    Re: unsecured home wireless - when I first got a laptop, before our broadband was sorted, I freeloaded on the signal of the dodgy pastor who was living downstairs. I particularly enjoyed downloading aggressively homosexual music using the old bigot's bandwidth.
  • JakJak
    I wouldn't know what qualifies as aggressively homosexual when describing music :-p
    Now this is going round my head.

"I spent my last ten dollars on birth control and beer
    My life was so much simpler when I was sober and queer
    But the love of a strong hairy man has turned my head I fear
    And made me spend my last ten bucks on birth control and beer"
    Where's that from? I love it! But for me, while Stephin Merritt and the Hidden Cameras have their moments, the sine qua non is <a href="">The Shock-Headed Peters' I Bloodbrother Be</a>.
  • edited December 2017
  • KazKaz
    The Weatherspoons just over the hill in Crouch End has excellent wifi! I think I have just found my new office space. Plus the staff here are really nice. Lacking in wine knowledge (would I like a red or white Sauvignon), but thoroughly nice.