Dry cleaner

2»

Comments

• edited September 2010
    I think dry cleaners have insurance (although this might be for damage rather than loss). Ask him to make a claim for the suit?
  • edited August 2011
    Just to add to this, not thinking they could also f*ck up alterations as well as lose garments, I've just returned from having the worst alteration done on a jacket that needed the sleeves shortened.

Buttons were not all moved up the sleeve, so they're all jammed up right at the cuff, and the one which was moved (to the end of the queue, as it were) has just been sewn on, without any of the stitching. Plus it's squint. Saw it when I was in the shop, just took it and left rather than tell the sewing guy that it was a joke as rather than get angry at them for being woeful, I got angry at me for giving them business.

Warning: Lost garments, ink stains on clothes, and amateurish alterations. My fault for giving them the benefit of the doubt. This is over about 4 years, but is £300 of lost/botched jobs.

I haven't had anything cleaned here since they lost half a suit last year.
  • edited 9:33PM
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I've found nowhere consistently good for dry cleaning or repairs. Sew in Crouch End are quick and reasonable for repairs. Image are great, but three times too expensive and take forever.

I've found Snowhite really good at fixing bags, frayed straps and holes etc. With other repairs they do strange things sometimes making it worse. I know someone took them to court recently.

I've had fan pleats ironed out of a skirt before in the cleaners across the road from Nandos.

Snowhite have been trying to get the dirt out of a white dress I was wearing when I fell into a puddle. Been done three times now, it's still filthy. But so it goes.
  • edited August 2011
    Thanks for the other tales of woe, I guess Image are the place to go. Would rather pay them a bit more than have some clown ruin a £200 jacket, that'll probably take £50 to repair.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2011
    The dry cleaner a few doors down from Sainsburys Local on SGR has always been OK in my experience.
  • We use the dry cleaner and shoe repairs place at the bottom of Ferme Park Rd beside Londis and have no complaints. They also do repairs but not tried them yet.
    Does anyone know if Image do shirt service (cleaning + ironing)? Start a new job on Monday and would like a brief period of looking close to smart!

Cheers!
    I use the one at the SG end of Ferme Park Road, opposite-ish Firezza as it is very near my flat. It's run by a friendly dude. No problems so far, although I do wonder whether dry cleaning in general is any good. Sometimes it's like they just give you your clothes back as they were.
  • edited September 2011
    I really really like the people at Image. hey do good dry cleaning and alterations, although they are pricy.

@tharobc, I wash my shirts at home and on the way to work drop them off at the launderette opposite Image (corner Moray and Fonthill), and collect them on the way home, nicely ironed. £1 each. Not sure how much it would be for washing too, but I prefer to use my own detergent and softener anyway, and know that they aren't going to be tumble-dried. The two women who work there are really nice. I also get my pillows, duvets and blankets washed there.
    @therattle, thanks for that. Dropped mine in to Image yesterday (before seeing your message) for cleaning and ironing and it'll come to £16! Bit steep for a weekly need! £1 a shirt is much more like it.
    Grrr - used the cleaner opposite Image to get shirts ironed and, not only do they appear to have been ironed by a toddler, but one of them now has a great big brown stain on the arm. Avoid.
    @tharobc, sorry about that! Mine always come back reasonably well-ironed and I've never had a stain or mark.
    @therattle - no worries, i'm sure they're normally fine. The dry cleaner next to Sainsbury on SGR does an absolutely amazing job on them for the same price. Lovely blokes in there too.
  • I know it's probably the wrong side of Hornsey Road (*gasp*) for stroud greeners, but has anyone got any horror stories about Tollington Dry Cleaners on Tollington Way? Positive recommendations would also suffice. <br>
  • <p>I used to frequent the Dry Cleaners on Ferme Park Road for 5 years. 1 day I went through my freshly dry cleaned suits and realised 1 of the pants was missing. So I rang them to enquire about it and the owner who had been always nice suddenly got very angry at me over the phone, having the gall to accuse me of losing it!</p><p>I was so shocked by his response I marched straight to the Laundry and gave him a good old bollocking . When he realised I was the guy he spoke to earlier, he tried to appease me in various ways but it was a bit too little too late by then. The only way he was going to keep my custom was to recover my missing pants which he never did. </p><p>I now use the Dry Cleaners next to Sainsbury. I haven't had any problems yet ... touch wood.</p><p><br></p>
  • thanks for the heads-up ...
  • Is this UK or US pants? If the former, hard to see why it'd be such a big deal.....
  • edited June 2012
    The guys near to Sainsbury's are great. But, don't use them for alterations unless you're happy for red thread being used for shortening green trousers. I think their seamstress is colourblind. P.S. I don't own any green trousers.
  • Snow Whites all the way, super friendly, good service. I've used them regularly for 4 years and not once complaint.
  • @<;span class="Apple-style-span" style="color: rgb(119, 119, 119); font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 27px; "><a href="/profile/2578/lucyabcde" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; outline-width: 0px; outline-style: initial; outline-color: initial; font-weight: bold; font-style: inherit; font-size: 15px; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; text-decoration: none; color: rgb(43, 45, 51); border-style: initial; border-color: initial; ">lucyabcde</a>  I used to use Tollington Dry Cleaners for alterations for ages until they made a right mess of taking up some jeans (they pinned 3 pairs for me but did one of them 3 inches shorter than the other 2!)  They were really horrible about it and refused to fix them or give me a refund.</span>
  • <p>I don't see the point of dry cleaners unless it's for something extremely badly stained or extortionately expensive. Or winter coats. There are very few things that can't be machine washed at a low temperature with a non bio detergent. </p>