Who wants to live in Tottenham?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• edited 6:15AM
    How can you post this after the Arse got took out 2-1?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Other than a new MP, what else would change?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited December 2012
    I am curious what affect, if any it would have on property prices.
    None. Parliamentary Constituency boundaries don't I think have a strong bearing on where people perceive a place to be. I prefer living here to the many years I lived in Tottenham but I'm not troubled by a boundary change that just has an effect on who you vote together with for an MP. Bear in mind that the Lib Dems have a lot to lose from this particular change because of the strong Labour vote in Tottenham. I hope they don't resort to negative comments about Tottenham as part of any campaign.
    Lol/+1 Taff bach
  • AliAli
    edited 6:15AM
    Historically Stroud Green has been in Hornsey for quite a few hundred years so why change it now ? The actual text from the boundary commission is: 38. In Haringey, we noted that the Hornsey and Wood Green constituency could be left unchanged, but in order to accommodate changes elsewhere, we propose to include one ward (Stroud Green) in the Tottenham constituency. We also propose to include one Enfield ward (Bowes) from the existing Enfield, Southgate constituency in the Hornsey and Wood Green constituency. Not sure what colour Bowes would vote but I would have thought before the last Election it could be LibDem. I guess this is the fallout from the LibDems deal with the Tories on AV etc. I hope that the LibDems in the House of Lords manage to stop it.
    Yeah, I feel a bit twitchy about it due to the historical element. If Stroud Green *is* going to be sundered from Hornsey then I would have thought it would be best merged with the Islington constituency over the road. But I suppose constituency boundaries are not as important as local government boundaries.
  • KazKaz
    Are there an actual point to these proposed changes? Surely, it would just involve extra paperwork, bureaucracy and cost?
  • KazKaz
    *Is there* damn you Monday morning....
    Officially it’s to reduce the number of MPs (which I don’t agree with) and to equalise the population of each constituency (which I do agree with). Ali will tell you it’s to disadvantage Labour, who supposedly deserve to have more MPs per head of population for reasons I don’t understand.
  • KazKaz
    Ah, I see! Thanks Arkady!
  • AliAli
    I think it probably affects the LibDems the most as this will hit them very hard at the next election along with the disgruntled people who voted last time but won’t next. I did read somewhere that after the next election the LibDems will only have to hire a mini bus to transport all there MPs around in. I agree with A that a merge with Islington could be better and maybe move the council boundary as well to say Parkland Walk. Could make a lot of logic on the way services and schools are delivered and reduce the number of councils responsible for around Finsbury Park etc. Stroud Green could just end up being that place in Tottenham that is on the “other side of the park” so why bother about it too much as Lammys seat is solid Labour
  • edited October 2011
    Already feels like SG is on the other side of Haringey Borough from the majority of services and directives, and making the electoral boundary so it is again 'just some place on the other side of the majority' might lead to it being ignored as Ali says (I think that's what s/he is saying)?

Is there a danger of it becoming more like how the grim edge of Islington is treated, e.g. with some of it's planning decisions near the station which appear to be mostly for council tax/business rates generation purposes. [I realise the electoral boundaries are different, but already being in the hinterland, it is not going to be helped by being in the Tottenham constituency - it's miles away!] At least you can walk to Hornsey.
    "Residential streets, such as Weston Park, Nelson Road, Inderwick Road, Ferme Park Road and Mount View Road would be spilt, with one half in the Hornsey constituency and the other in Tottenham."

As a resident on the already-split Stroud Green Road, I would call this an utter non-issue.
  • edited December 2017