Endymion Road ???!!!

edited October 2011 in Local discussion
When is Haringey / Harringay apparently there are 2 spellings going to sort out the huge queues especially at weekends at Arena [ Sainsburys/ Argos] car park & Endymion Road [ Stroud Green] . It can take longer to get in & out than to get there.It is caused by 2 sets of traffic lights not synchronised & ushers who don't know what they are doing? And while we are on to them how long is one delayed at the traffic lights at Finsbury Park going onto Blackstock Road. Suspect Islington. Why have you to inform them over and over again? Do they not monitor?

Comments

• edited October 2011
    Harringay - the 'district' around Green Lanes. Haringey = the entire borough.
  • edited 8:09PM
    Some complicated maths there!
    Wow angry, and multiple punctuation marks
    edited 8:09PM
    Don't drive there—cars are helping destroy the planet so you'll be doing your bit—walk or get a bike. On the other hand, they should implement an allowance policy of two or more people per car. Cars queuing, there's seldom more than one bored occupant.
    I regularly drive straight through the red light at the bottom of SGR just under the bridge (before the main lights at Seven sisters road junction) because it is just plain ridiculous how long they keep you there.
    I timed it once. Three minutes on red, 15 seconds on green.
    You should be able to sue somebody for that.
    So far I have not been fined/murdered anybody so there mustn't be a working camera there.
    Accelerate.

@36 - are you for fucking real? Walk/cycle 8 miles to work. Is that what you do?
    I don't think there's going to be an easy solution to traffic jams at the Arena shopping centre: there is simply far more traffic turning onto green Lanes than it is able to cope with.

Whoever did the traffic survey during the upgrade of the Arena Shopping Park must have really screwed up.
    @barnesbq,

I cycle about 6 miles to work - it's easy.
  • KazKaz
    edited 8:09PM
    I don't understand why anyone needs to drive from Stroud Green to Arena?!
    Yes barnesbq - I also do the 6 miles each way to work at the moment, but used to do 17 to croydon and back - it's really not that difficult and is usually as quick, and more pleasant.
    @Kaz - I regularly drive from SG to Arena to go to the big Sainsbury's, and pick up stuff from the post office.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    the [cycle training](http://www.islington.gov.uk/transport/cycling/training/Courses.asp) from islington council is free, and really helpful. i think haringey subsidise theirs through [these people](http://cycletraining.co.uk/).
    8 mile cycle is nothing at all. Mine is 5 miles which I do in 20-25mins easy. Much better than a car. Today cycling through London was glorious (apart from the cars)
    From what she says in [this post](http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/3244/road-to-hell/#Item_2) I think julieshrive for one may not be able to cycle...
  • edited October 2011
    I'm all for cycling and walking to local shops to avoid excessive use of poluting cars...but for many people who use the larger Sainsbury's type places, it's because they (like me) are doing a weekly family shop, it's just not feasible to get that on a bike, so I'll have to keep braving the ineffectual traffic calming measures (men in high vis jackets that stand around chatting) and poluting I'm afraid.

However, for the odd bottle of milk etc, I just walk to local shops.
    A couple of suggestions to alleviate Arena car park stress. 1. Under no circumstances, EVER visit on a Sunday afternoon. If you must, ensure you are done and dusted by 2pm. 2. If its chocca, always take the right hand lane on your way out and turn RIGHT onto Green Lanes and then negotiate back to Stroud Green via Umfreville and Wightman Road. You miss the gridlock that occurs at the lights onto Endymion. 3. Show no mercy to anyone, just put your foot down and get out as quick as you can. Its a dog eat dog world. Take comfort from the fact that 9/10 occasions where you let someone in, they don't say thanks. 4. Remember that your car is full of groceries that you would never be able to carry if you were on a bike. In addition, take extra enjoyment if its raining or snowing. The world of multi-buys is yours....because you can take them home! 5. When you've done your shopping, your car will still be there. However, you will look over your shoulder and find a cyclist crying into their rucksack as they find thats it been pinched and their ice cream is melting.
    I like going really really late at night. You avoid the queues and there's a slightly dystopian David Lynch feel to the whole thing. It's hard to get that unnerving sense of urban dislocation if you go on Saturday morning.
    I agree, I tend to go after midnight. I also enjoy the urban dislocation, especially the eeriness of the car park.
    The Toys 'R' Us on the North Circular is open until 22:00. If you go late it's really, really creepy. Like a cross between Toy Story's Toy Barn and the Chucky Films. All the toys have eyes, even those that don't. And they *watch you*.
    Why drive to Wightman Road or anywhere else for the weekly shop when you can order online and get Tesco/Sainsbury/Ocado to deliver it right into your kitchen?
    1. £delivery fee 2. I enjoy grocery shopping 3. Social interaction with actual people, not in front of a laptop 4. Reports of nobhead delivery drivers and mis-picked orders That said, online supermarket shopping defo has its place. It can be very useful for a certain type of customer (time poor parent, the elderly and infirm, those that hate supermarkets). I just happen to like buying food. Would you buy food from www.boroughmarket.co.uk?
    Sorry, I appear to be talking in lists at the mo
    i like thinking about food. in front of the food.
    I'm alright Jack?I've worked out the same as Brodie . Just thought it might help others not the arrogant young on bicycles. Yes I go to sainsburys because I have a mobility scooter & Blue badge holder & very good Disabled parking. Haringay let Tescos turn the one disabled bay into a Business Bay & not one Cllr or MP or member of the community did anything about it- only one remonstrated with the traffic warden giving PCN at time . Only a local newspaper.So have taken custom elsewhere.For a single pensioner person £5 is a lot of money for delivery .I do you use Delivery if not up to it.
    I ended with cardiac arrest from the stress of dealing with this unreasonable mentality found here and in many LAs .
    Arrogant young? Nice prejudice JS!