British Citizenship Test

edited October 2011 in Local discussion
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/blog/quiz/2011/oct/11/uk-citizenship-test-quiz

I failed miserably. As has everyone else I know. Take up the challenge?

Comments

• edited 12:25PM
    14/24 On seeing the answers i'm pretty pleased with my performance On seeing the questions, i'm surprised we have an immigration issue. Most have no relevance to UK life, and more importantly...they're really hard!
  • IanIan
    edited 12:25PM
    I doubt that the questions the Guardian published are a representative sample, but the thing is like the highway code - you get a book to learn from. If we had the book to revise from before we might have had a chance even if these are the hard questions.
    18/24 I'm in. And I'm comforted by the fact that this is because I guessed that there are 15m children in the UK, rather than 16m. It would have been heretical to suggest otherwise.
    I took the citizenship test five years ago. It was nowhere near this difficult. Most of the answers were obvious. All were word-for-word from the official citizenship test book. You could pass it even if you didn't speak English. I got 100% of the questions right on the actual test. On the Guardian one, I got 14/24.
    @Ian and rainbow-carnage The questions are all from the official government practice test and this is the new test, not the one from 5 years ago.
  • edited October 2011
    Utter fail from me, 9 out of 24 And Miss Annie.... 13 out of 24. Fail!
  • IanIan
    @Siolae I wasn't disputing that they were from the test, just questioning whether they were a representative sample from the test. My guess is they chose the hardest ones.
    Well it's got some very out of date stuff in it. The New Deal no longer exists.
  • KazKaz
    Fail, 10/24...
    Fail 16/24. So far Andy is the only one not deported from Stroud Green.
    @Ian, no they are not a selection of questions. They are all the questions. The test has 24 questions, you have to get 75% to pass. The questions on the Guardian link are the whole of the practice exam.
    @Siolae - The site says that they're questions from the current test, not the new one. Hence the warning about the out-of-date info. My friend took the test a few months ago. I helped her study. It was the same one that I did. The problem isn't the questions. It's the answers. From what I remember, the choices weren't that close to each other. It wasn't 13m, 14m, 15m or 16m. It was more like 4m, 10m, 20m, 30m. So even if you didn't know the exact answer, you could guess. My test had a question about the percentage of the British population that's Scottish. I don't know the exact percent, but it was pretty obvious which answers were wrong.
    I got 16. But the point is that people learn these exact things to prepare for the test, which obviously makes it more likely they will pass. But my main problem is why you would ask people to learn some of these things (eg the exact year in the 19th century when women could divorce men - what is the possible value of that knowledge?).
    Implicitly, that women have been able to divorce men here for a very long time, so if you have a problem with that, get the Hell over it.
    (Similarly, I have heard - though cannot confirm - that immigrants to Holland are shown a picture of two men kissing, to make clear that if they don't like that, they should jog on. I would wholeheartedly support the imposition of a similar measure here)