Stroud Green Beautification

Comments

• I'm very supportive of all attempts to protect the Stroud Green Conservation Area. There is already a Stroud Green Conservation Area Advisory Committee - set up last year. It's a group of residents who comment on local planning applications. Some details buried here:
    http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index/housing_and_planning/planning-mainpage/designandconservation/conservation_areas/caacs.htm#sgcaac

@gardener-joe - I've reported the empty tree pit you've described to the Council asking for a new tree to be planted.
  • edited December 2017
  • edited 10:38AM
    Cllr Wilson, can you also give us some feedback on the PVC windows being installed in various places within the Conservation Area? Thanks for the heads up about the Advisory Committee. If we set up a group with a slightly wider remit (as discussed above) would you be interested in attending? Has anyone noticed the ugly plastic above-garage-shanty that appears to have been built between two houses on Stapleton Hall Road, near the junction with Victoria?
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    What did he have to say for himself?
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AliAli
    edited 10:38AM
    Apparently according to my planner who is dealing with my planning complaint the type of conservation area we are in does allow plastic windows if it is a single dwelling. Maybe some research is needed to establish the type of conservation zone it is and what is allowed and not.
  • Someone in Florence Road has put in vile plastic windows with small panes that are ttally out of keeping with the rest of the street - in a house between Lorne and Albert Roads. Shurely totally against conservation guidelines? Has anybody else noticed it?
  • Houses in single occupation by the owner do have exemptions from some of the Planning regulations imposed by a Conversation Area. It was a concession at the time of the legislation to the principle, enshrined in magna carta probably, that an englishman's home is his castle. Alterations do still have to meet Building Regulations.<br>The 'caravan' between the terraces on Stapleton hall Road is an extension of an existing structure to make a 'granny flat'. It was specifically designed so that the 1st floor frontage was set back, so that the existing profile of the terrace was not broken. <br>
  • Surely the conservation area rules prevent shit plastic facades from being placed between 19th century frontages, set-back or no set-back?<br>
  • edited November 2011
    <font face="Arial">I have requested to get involved in the<span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"; color:black"> (Haringey) Conservation Area Advisory Committee.<span style="mso-spacerun:yes">  </span>I’d like to understand more of how that works before launching a new initiative.<span style="mso-spacerun:yes">  </span>I shall research Islington’s too.</span></font>
  • A Stroud Green Conservation Area Advisory Committee formed about a year ago - if we can exchange e-mail addresses I'll put you in touch. I'll PM you via your profile. Am not sure who is best point of contact in the group otherwise I'd post here ... 
  • I just noticed Cllr Wilson's post with a link to CAAC's in Haringey where you can see a Stroud Green contact listed. I think it would be fair to say that the Cllr's enthusiasm is not matched by any support from Harringey other than moral... it is entirely voluntary, receives no funding and sees the biggest problem facing Conservation Areas is the lack of enforcement because of Council spending priorities.
  • The deadline for asking for money from the Outer London Fund is midday on Monday. <span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: none; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">Is there any chance we could put a bid in? </span>
  • edited November 2011
    Many thanks Jim.  So have there been cases where individual violations have been raised by the committee but then not pursued by the Council?  Is the CAAC presented with all new planning applications?  How often does the CAAC meet?<br><br>Has there been any co-operation with Islington's SG CAAC?  Indeed is there such a thing?  I'm not turning anything up online.<br><br>Under the new planning legislation propsed by the government, CAACs are one of the civic groups that will supposedly gain a stronger role.  Somerstown CAAC is one of the pilot groups.  Other, broader civic groupings are being suggested too - Kings Cross Development Forum are researching whether they should fill the role precisely becasue they cross borough boundaries.  It might be that the sort of cross-border umbrella group that we have been discussing here might also fit the bill locally, and be more open to wider participation.<br><br><br>
  • @Mirandola: I wouldn't know where to begin.  I wish I'd had time to push this a bit harder and earlier, and perhaps then things would have been different.  But my work-life is currently in-flux and in-sane, and I just haven't had the spare CPU cycles to commit to it.  I feel bad about that.  But onwards and upwards.<br>
  • @Arkady,<div><br></div><div>Don't feel bad. Ad astra per ardua and all that. </div>
  • <p class="MsoNormal"><span class="apple-style-span"><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; ">From my understanding of the Outer London Fund, the bids are predominantly council led and otherwise require council support. <o:p></o:p></span></span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; ">I think Haringey are submitting a bid focusing on the town centres – Tottenham Corridor, Wood Green / Green lanes, Crouch End, Muswell Hill and </span>Highgate. I guess Stroud Green will never be a priority for this sort of thing – because of the boundary issues, Haringey see SGR as a local shopping centre rather than recognising the wider town centre area.</p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; ">There is another pot of money coming up – the Mayor Regeneration Fund (£50m). I think inner London Boroughs can bid for this too, so it could be an opportunity for Islington and Haringey to work together on getting some cash for area as a whole.</span></p>
  • I got a fairly prompt postal reply after notifying haringay about some pvc windows around here. It has the name of the person in charge, and promises a site visit asap. Will see...<br>
  • I have a couple of meetings on this subject this week and should have something to report soon.
  • Hello<br><br>I’m going to break this up into separate posts on the subjects of conservation and planning policy in case you are only interested in one or the other. The latter, though, could be big news.<br><b><br>Stroud Green Conservation Areas</b><br><br>So, as noted elsewhere I’m trying to get to grips with the different civic groups of one kind or another that might have an interest in this project. At the moment the Haringey Stroud Green Conservation Area has an Advisory Committee (CAAC), but it’s scope is properly and necessarily quite narrow, being focussed on planning applications within that conservation area. It is still in formation, and a constitution and website are still in development. <br><br>I am waiting to hear back from Islington, but seems that the conservation areas on the Islington side of the road have no extant Advisory Committees, which is a serious problem in itself – the planning departments are not good at enforcement, and without keen local oversight things will go amiss. If you live in Islington’s <a href="http://www.islington.gov.uk/DownloadableDocuments/Environment/Pdf/conservation_2010/conservation_area_design_guidelines/ca_39_stroud_green_map.pdf">Stroud Green</a> or <a href="http://www.islington.gov.uk/DownloadableDocuments/Environment/Pdf/conservation_2010/conservation_area_design_guidelines/ca_25_tollington_park_map.pdf">Tollington Park</a> conservation areas or the immediate environs and would like to assist (or know more about how you might do so) then please get in touch. Both are quite small and do not cover many residencies (though they cover ‘high profile’ areas) so there may be an argument for co-ordinating the CAACs or moving towards a single cross-border CAAC down the line, though this would not be without complications.<br><br>I am increasingly thinking that some form of umbrella organisation might be the way to go, one that might meet bi-monthly and be a forum into which the various local groups (CAACs, residents associations, trading associations, etc) could contribute and co-ordinate. By involving popular ‘new media’ sites such as this one the various member organisations might be re-invigorated. <br>
  • edited November 2011
    <b>The Future of Planning Policy in Stroud Green</b><br><br>Now I don’t know whether any of you have been paying attention to the governments new Localism Act, but it may have a quite significant impact on the way planning works. We may need to pull our fingers out quickly, too.<br><br>As briefly as I’m able (you know what I’m like), here is the gist as I understand it:<br><br>The new Act sweeps away a lot of red tape. In its place, local Neighbourhood Forums (of which more later) are to work with the local authorities to co-ordinate on planning policy “in the context of national priorities”. The positive interpretation of that is that new civic forums will gain oversight over planning policy and implementation. The possible negative interpretation is that these local groups may be forced to agree to new housing in areas unsuited to it – that is still in doubt and debate.<br><br>From the consultation document:<br><br> <font color="#000099"><i>“Neighbourhood planning will allow communities, both residents, employees and business, to come together through a local parish council or neighbourhood forum and say where they think new houses, businesses and shops should go – and what they should look like. <br>These plans can be very simple and concise, or go into considerable detail where people want. Local communities will be able to use neighbourhood planning to grant full or outline planning permission in areas where they most want to see new homes and businesses, making it easier and quicker for development to go ahead. <br>Provided a neighbourhood development plan or order is in line with national planning policy, with the strategic vision for the wider area set by the local authority, and with other legal requirements, local people will be able to vote on it in a referendum. If the plan is approved by a majority of those who vote, then the local authority will bring it into force. <br>Local planning authorities will be required to provide technical advice and support as neighbourhoods draw up their proposals. The Government is funding sources of help and advice for communities. This will help people take advantage of the opportunity to exercise influence over decisions that make a big difference to their lives.”<br></i></font><br>In theory the ‘Community Right to Build’ would allow the Forum to decide to build new schools, affordable houses etc.<br><br>There should also be stronger enforcement rules, which would certainly be welcome.<br><br>The Forum would also have to be consulted if certain types of development were proposed.<br><br>As now, an ‘infrastructure levy’ will be raised from certain new developments. The Forum would have the chance to amend the amount of the levy, and decide what it was spent on (not necessarily only on public infrastructure as it is now).<br><br>So who would this Forum consist of, you ask. And what would its geographical remit be? Here’s where it gets interesting. Forgive me for posting the relevant sections of the ‘Plain English’ Guide verbatim (my italics):<br>
  • edited November 2011
    <font color="#000099">“Stage 1: Defining the neighbourhood <br>First, local people will need to decide how they want to work together. <br>In areas with a parish or town council, the parish or town council will take the lead on neighbourhood planning. They have long experience of working with and representing local communities. <br>In areas without a parish or town council, local people will need to decide which organisation should lead on coordinating the local debate. In some places, existing community groups may want to put themselves forward. In other places, local people might want to form a new group. In both cases, the group must meet some basic standards. It must, for example, have at least 21 members, and it must be open to new members. <br>Town and parish councils and community groups will then need to apply to the local planning authority (usually the borough or district council). <br>It’s the local planning authority’s job to keep an overview of all the different requests to do neighbourhood planning in their area. <br>They will check that the suggested boundaries for different neighbourhoods make sense and fit together. The local planning authority will say “no” if, for example, two proposed neighbourhood areas overlap. <br>They will also check that community groups who want to take the lead on neighbourhood planning meet the right standards. The planning authority will say “no” if, for example, the organisation is too small or not representative enough of the local community. <br>If the local planning authority decides that the community group meets the right standards, the group will be able to call itself a ‘neighbourhood forum’. (This is simply the technical term for groups which have been granted the legal power to do neighbourhood planning.) <br>The town or parish council or neighbourhood forum can then get going and start planning for their neighbourhood.<br><br>Stage 2: Preparing the plan <br>Next, local people will begin collecting their ideas together and drawing up their plans. <br>With a neighbourhood plan, communities will be able to establish general planning policies for the development and use of land in a neighbourhood. They will be able to say, for example, where new homes and offices should be built, and what they should look like. The neighbourhood plan will set a vision for the future. It can be detailed, or general, depending on what local people want <br><br>With a neighbourhood development order, the community can grant planning permission for new buildings they want to see go ahead. Neighbourhood development orders will allow new homes and offices to be built without the developers having to apply for separate planning permission. <br><br>Local people can choose to draw up either a plan, or a development order, or both. It is entirely up to them. Both must follow some ground rules: <br>They must generally be in line with local and national planning policies <br>They must be in line with other laws <br>If the local planning authority says that an area needs to grow, then communities cannot use neighbourhood planning to block the building of new homes and businesses. They can, however, use neighbourhood planning to influence the type, design, location and mix of new development. <br><br>Stage 4: Community referendum <br>The local council will organise a referendum on any plan or order that meets the basic standards. This ensures that the community has the final say on whether a neighbourhood plan or order comes into force. <br>People living in the neighbourhood who are registered to vote in local elections will be entitled to vote in the referendum. <br>In some special cases - where, for example, the proposals put forward in a plan for one neighbourhood have significant implications for other people nearby - people from other neighbourhoods may be allowed to vote too. <br>If more than 50 per cent of people voting in the referendum support the plan or order, then the local planning authority must bring it into force”</font><br>---<br><br>Now, all this starts to come into affect from April. Various London neighbourhoods are already in the vanguard, such as Bankside. In Highgate, which crosses three borough boundaries, the Highgate Society (if memory serves) is putting themselves forward. In Kings Cross the Development Forum is doing the same, although I can see a possible turf war developing with one of their members, the Somerstown CAAC.<br><br>Where Forums do not develop, there is a real danger of developers having it their own way. There is also a danger of dubious, artificial Forums being established by local businesses or developers for their own ends.<br><br>Where am I going with this? I would suggest that if Stroud Green does not develop its own (cross-border?) Neighbourhood Forum, with broad participation and affiliation from existing local civic groups, then it will be greatly to the detriment of the area. If we don’t ‘get in first’, as it were, then Stroud Green may end up being divided up among forums established in Finsbury Park, Crouch End, perhaps Harringay, possibly leading to the neglect of Stroud Green Road in favour of other urban centres.<br><br><b>In short (ha!), the idea of an umbrella group overseeing conservation and planning may just have moved from ‘nice to have’ to ‘urgent necessity’. </b><br><br>Your thoughts, comrades?<br><br>More info:<br><br><br>The ‘Plain English’ Guide - recommended: http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/localgovernment/pdf/1896534.pdf<br>The info hub on this topic: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/inyourarea/neighbourhood/<br>The consultation document: http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/planningandbuilding/pdf/1985878.pdf<br>Guide to neighbourhood planning: http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/planningandbuilding/pdf/1985896.pdf<br>;
  • <div><div><div><br></div><div>Interesting. Very. <br><div><br></div><div><br></div></div></div></div>
  • Wholeheartedly agreed with the bold text, and interested in being part of same (subject to amount of time required, obviously)..<br>
  • Good work. So do we start collecting our ideas and forming a plan right away then?
  • I am probably stealing someones thunder but you might be interested to know that Finfuture is planning to host a planning/regeneration 'conference' at the end of January (probably at the college on Blackstock Road and probably on the 28th). Part of the idea of this is to pull together interested people from Finsbury Park including SG) (across the LBs of Hackney, Haringey and Islington) to talk about how we 'operate' localism and what role bodies like Finfuture can play. It could be a really good event and I hear that all the MPs and leading members from the respective boroughs/areas have confirmed they can make it. Publicity to start shortly. I will make sure that as soon as it is firmed up I will share any info asap. Keep the date free.<div><br></div><div>(Also, Finfuture will shortly be publishing a new website, hence not bothering to sort out the current one for the time being)</div>