The Noble under new management

Thought I'd start a new, unbiased and fairly-titled discussion on The Noble, now that it's Under New Management.

Had a really rather tasty eggs Benedict for brunch there the other day, at what seemed a fair price. Recommended.

Are they sill doing 'tapas' in the evening?

My only grouch, was being asked (very politely indeed - almost apologetically) if I had any objection to paying a service charge (10% I think). And I paid. It was hard to refuse.

It did leave a bit of a bad taste though. I mean, I seem to remember that while the previous management did add service to main meals, the bar staff always seemed more than happy to bring over a refill or a new drink to your table whether you were eating expensively or not, and didn't ask for service. An extra charge on food and drinks for having a cheap snack carried three feet to your table seemed a bit over the top - or is that just my remote Pictish ancestry coming out?

Comments

• edited 6:41PM
    Any idea what happened to the previous management?
    Adam went off to Wales to build a house for his dad.
    What exactly is the service charge to cover and how do restaurants/pubs get away with charging it? If it's in place of a tip, then it should be at the diners' discretion, not the venue, and if it's not then shouldn't it be covered in the price of the food and drink?
  • edited October 2011
    Restaurants add a service charge because the English are cheap.

A competent, knowledgeable waiter will not work for minimum wage. If you want a waiter who knows where your meat comes from and can recommend a wine to complement every dish on the menu, you need to pay him at least twice as much. So restaurants have a choice. They can either raise prices and pay their staff more or add a service charge. For tax purposes, most go with an 'optional' service charge. It's not really optional unless the waiter spills food in your lap or tells you to get your own fucking beer.

Until recently, restaurants could actually pay the staff less than the minimum wage and make up the difference with the services charge. Obviously, that's bad and wrong.

If the English were less stingy, none of this would be a problem. If everyone tipped 15% on top of the bill, the waiters would be fairly remunerated, and restaurants would have less of an opportunity to steal from their employees' pockets. But, alas, you cannot trust a people who think that it's OK just to round up a £195 bill to £200.

If the service charge is optional, I usually ask the waiter to remove it. I then tip 15% in cash so I know it goes to the waiter and not the company.
    We went to one of those all you can eat buffets in Chinatown for lunch last week with my stepson. They made us pay the minute we walked through the door, and I found it a bit amusing that they'd added a 12% service charge, so we were expected to pay the service charge before getting any service (and of course it was a help yourself buffet, so the only service we got was them bringing the drinks to the table and clearing the plates).

We didn't bother querying it, but I did think it a bit cheeky.
    @Rainbow Carnage. Im guessing you're American? I think service means something different in this country. There are defenitely issues with people undertipping, or not at all which i agree is not acceptable. Straight 10% on meals is my rule. Going the extra mile is something we enjoy, but we're not that arsed to pay for it above the standard 10%....we prefer to save the cash and keep it normal and transparent. If we liked the service we go back again. It wasn't because we paid for it that it was good. The American system makes me uncomfortable. Here's a day in the life that i recently experienced.... 1. turn up to hotel, can't park, has to be valet. Im perfectly happy and used to parking my own car, but im not allowed. even though its 50 yards away - Im expected to tip every time the car gets touched by a Valet, even to get a jacket out the boot. 2. Im at hotel reception, the person who checks me in tells the porter to get my bags. Again, im used to carrying my own bags, but im not given the choice. The same person then shows me how to use the light switch, TV, sink etc. - Im expected to tip the guy who's followed me to my room. I didn't want him to carry my bags or show me how to use a TV, i even said so but they just said it "wasn't a problem". Awkward 10 seconds when they've finished doing the tour. 3. I get a drink from the bar. Its $4. I plan on buying more, so do i tip once like 60 cents (which seems a bit lame) or do i wait until i can give some folded. In my head i can't really see why im tipping them anyway as they're opening a bottle for me. They look massively disappointed when $3 eventually comes their way. 4. I have a meal. It comes to $50. I tip $5. Its been a standard operation whereby i've ordered, they've brought it out. Its been ok. I don't want to have some major interaction with them. They expect $10, i work out that id basically be paying for them to stand by my table for an hour if i gave them that. They try and over deliver but you just don't want that. things like knowing where the meat is from should be standard knowledge of a good restaurant. As an aside, nobody tips the guys in Mcdonalds....guess thats one rule for them, another for everyone else. Ultimately, the tipping culture is irrelevant since it seems to be expected. And thats my issue. It is none of my business what the members of staff get paid. All restaurants should state "we expect you to pay for our staff this evening" if its an issue....then it'd be a bit more transparent. Tipping in the states can make a pleasant experience very uncomfortable. If its a big deal, put the prices up, i think most people would be relieved not to have the stand off. That was a long post....im a bit sensitive about tipping comments about Brits. In practice in the states, it seems like people just queue up to tax a few bucks off you when its unecessary. I guess its purely a culture thing though.
    Couldn’t agree more. One should only pay over the odds to reward exceptional service. People should be paid properly to be waiters, rather than rely on tips, just as in any other industry. And you’re quite right about ‘over-service’. All I want is for the staff to keep their eyes peeled in case I give them a friendly nod or wave to indicate that I want to order more wine or am ready for the bill. I’ll allow you to ask if everything is OK shortly after the meal arrives – ONCE please. See Hitchens on over-attentive waiters: <http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/fighting_words/2008/05/wine_drinkers_of_the_world_unite.html>;
  • KazKaz
    edited 6:41PM
    @rainbow_carnage. I believe the service charge is always optional, I'm pretty sure legally nobody can force you to pay it. From my experience, and I have spent years in and out of this sector, the issue with service charge has gotten way better. The service charge goes into a tronc fund and is shared amongst staff. Well-run restaurants should always have a staff member on the tronc committee to make sure this is divided fairly and according to police. (Although this doesn't always happen.) The problem when you ask them to take off the service charge and instead leave it in cash, is that waiters are rarely the only ones benefitting from the service charge, it often goes to a lot of staff that you don't see, but nevertheless have contributed to you having a (hopefully) enjoyable evening. Dispense bartenders, receptionists, chefs, barbacks etc. It might also make management question the waiter: a) Why did the customer want to take the service off? Was the service bad? b) Have the waiter encouraged this from the customer to benefit himself by pocketing more tips? I don't like the culture of tipping. I believe everyone should get paid a fair living wage from the company, and nobody should be forced to tip. However, this is not how it works. I make myself unpopoular with my friends when we go for dinner. I always insist on tipping on top of the service charge, as I know that whatever extra we leave, even if it's a few quid, WILL go to our waiter, and it will make a difference to that person if everyone left a little extra on top of the service charge.
  • KazKaz
    *According to policy* There is no police involvement.
    Personally I really don't like the American way. The over-attentive service makes me uncomfortable, and I think it's wrong that businesses can increase their profits by not paying a living wage and relying on the customer to make up the shortfall.

All businesses should pay their staff decent wages and tipping should be a reward for excellence.

Service charge should be optional, but having asked for it to be taken off, I know it isn't. I also know that it doesn't necessarily all go to the staff - I've asked that too.
  • IanIan
    Back to the issue at hand ... Noble was my regular, and got on really well with the old team. I thought they were staying on save Adam. However, since have been in three times. First time the whole pub stank of grease - I am guessing they hadn't cleaned up properly in the kitchen the night before. It was as if the whole place was on fire and stank. Walked straight out.

Second time, had a drink with the wife. It was strangely unfriendly.

Third time, went for a few with friends. The service was chaos. Apparently two people hadn't turned up. The bar staff there didn't know what the wine was. They tried to give the person before me half a bottle of wine when they asked for a bottle. Every order took ages. We struggled through. Main thing was that again the manager made no effort to jolly us along or be nice.

Under Adam it was a friendly atmosphere. I just haven't felt very welcome in there since. It might be just me not liking change, but I've basically switched full time to the Dairy now.
    Tipping's an odd thing. I work for a well known bookshop chain. Most booksellers know an astonishing amount about books. We can happily recommend books, advise customers about what to buy for others and track down incredibly obscure books. We call cabs for elderly customers, get bowls of water for dogs, wrap gifts and entertain customers' children. Up until the recent change of ownership in the summer we have been paid about the same as a waiter in a restaurant. No one tips us.
    Miss Annie: excellent point. Ditto for the friendly and well-informed staff in a good comic or music shop. Maybe the difference is that it's harder for staff to surreptitiously gob in a book?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I prefer the French and Italian system, you pay the waiting staff a fairer wage and you tip for service that is above and beyond what you would expect.

Too many places in Britain now seem to think that despite paying handsomely for your meal, you should then pay for the privilege of having it brought to the table courteously. That's the bare minimum that should be done - after all it's not like you can opt out and go get it from the kitchen yourself.

I understand why to Americans the British may look mean, but to us the American system of underpaying staff and expecting tips to make it up is dishonest and disconcerting.

I ate out last night in Chinatown, in a nicer than average restaurant, stuck at the bottom of the bill was SC and an amount stuck on, if you hadn't spotted the little initials and realised what it meant you would have tipped as well and the set up was clearly made to get you to double tip - now that is sneaky.

Back on topic I've only been in the Noble briefly once since change of hands and it seemed as usual, although they'd axed the wife's favourite wine.
  • @Sharybo - A service charge at a buffet is just baffling. You shouldn't have to pay it if you're getting your own food. You don't tip for getting your own sandwich at Pret.

@Brodiej - I am American, but I've lived all of my adult life in London. I've bartended and waited tables for six years. I was good at it, and I made a decent living. Like Misscara, I haven't made that kind of money since leaving the industry.

You don't tip the waiter for bringing you the food. Hopefully, the restaurant pays him for that. You tip for the overall service experience. Different people want different types of service. What's good service for one is over-service for another. Some people want to chat to the waiter. Others want to be left alone. A good waiter knows the difference. If you're getting annoyed 'cause the waiter keeps coming up to your table to check on you, that is not good service.

I've never had a bellhop forced on me at a hotel. I always say, 'It's fine. I can carry my own bags,' and they leave me alone. I agree that it's a service that most of us don't need. I do tip when I call reception for something and a bellhop brings it to my room.

In the States, you really should tip 15% for good service, 20% for excellent service. In a bar, $1 per drink is standard. The waiters and bartenders are paid a pittance, sometimes not at all. It's expected that most of their income comes from tips. Waiters pay tax based on their expected earnings. The restaurant thinks you'll tip 15%. They're taxed on that amount, even if you leave 10% or nothing at all. So you really are taking the food out of their (children's) mouths.

@Idoru - The service charge is not always optional. If the bill says 'optional', then they have to remove it. I've never had an issue over it. Then again, I usually say something like, 'Could you please take off the service, and I'll tip you in cash.' No waiter is going to say no. But if it doesn't say 'optional', they may not remove it. It also means that they pay tax on it.

@Kaz - The tronc system is a joke. It varies hugely from one place to another. I've worked at two places where the staff didn't see a penny of the 12.5% service charge, but they did have higher salaries. In another place, the waiters were supposed to get all of their own service charge once a percentage had been deducted for the busboys, but the numbers never added up. I'm much more comfortable handing the waiter a £10 note than adding it to the bill and hoping that it doesn't all end up in the owner's pocket. Back of house staff should be on salaries, not a percentage of the service charge.
  • @Papa L - It's not like the service in Germany or France is free. It's just included in the price of the food. It means that if the waiter tells you to fuck off (not unheard of in either of these countries), you'll have no choice but to pay for your meal and the crap service.

I love Cologne beer halls. I love the middle-aged waiters who bring you your beer, tray in one hand, cigarette in the other. I love that they're constantly bringing you more beer, even when you didn't ask for it. Thing is, not everyone likes that type of service. But it's what you get when the waiter doesn't give a damn whether you're happy with your dining experience.
    In Germany (and the Benelux countries), they do/don’t bring you another beer depending on where you position your glass on the bar/table. In large venues they constantly pour more beers as they take a lot of time over it, allowing it to settle naturally (as should be done with some real ales, especially when applied via a sprinkler). Most foreigners are ignorant of the etiquette, and so don’t know how to stop the beer coming. Some of us just pretend to be ignorant…
    I can't really comment on German service, as haven't experienced too much of it in recent years.

Overall the standard of service in Britain, which now sits nearer America's compulsive tipping than not, is no better or worse than that found in France or Italy where service is included.

Wages are part of the restaurant's costs that should be reflected in the price of your food, not made artificially low so that they rely on people's goodwill to be bumped up.

In France or Italy if the waiter tells enough people to fuck off he'll get fired, if he tells you to fuck off, you tell the manager and point out you aren't paying your full bill.

I get why people who have worked tables etc in America defend the system and tipping, it's because they manage to make quite large sums from it that would probably far outweigh the relatively higher wages in a different culture.

The English aren't cheap or stingy, in my experience most will always leave a 10% or larger tip on top of a food bill and are happy to pay for quality food, wine and service.

However, they also recognise that your local pub asking for a service charge for carrying a snack from the bar to your table is a bit much.
  • edited November 2011
    @Arkady - It's a brilliant system. I can never figure out the specifics of the etiquette, but as long as the drinks keep coming, I'm happy.

@Papa L - I've never waited tables in the States, just here. And I agree with you about not tipping in a pub for non-existent service. I don't tip the guy who pulls my pint or brings me a portion of chips. I do tip the guy who makes me four different cocktails (unless he makes them wrong, in which case I ask him to make them again). I tip the guy who can recommend a decent bottle of wine based on my preferences, not the guy who pours me a glass of house red.

The English know they're expected to tip at least 10%, but a large proportion do not. Between stingy students ('I'm too poor to tip.' But not too poor to eat out, huh?), mathematically-challenged morons ('That's about 10%, right?' No, that's 6%. Use a calculator, if you're too stupid to move the decimal point.) and general cheap bastards ('Keep the change.' Thanks. I'll put that 23p towards my dream holiday), waiters get screwed over by at least half of the customers.
    I generally tip 15% unless its terrible service. I seem to horrify people with it. I've noticed that when I'm out with a friend and we split the bill, generally they never allow for the tip. The other day I was out with a group, and we split the bill. I noticed that service wasn't included and no one had allowed for the tip. Since it was a place round here that I wanted to go back to without the shame, I put an extra £20 down. Later the person who took charge of paying the bill gave me £2, as my share of the £20 too much, we'd put down wrongly.
  • @dorothy - Yep. That's exactly what happens when a group of people goes out for a meal. Not just the English, of course. Spaniards are even worse. Scandinavians and Americans are the only ones who consistently tip well.

For the diners, £2 is pocket change. For the waiter, that £20 is the difference between being able to pay the rent and not.

Everyone should have to wait tables at least once in their lives. Not for pocket money, but for a living. Especially restaurant owners and politicians.
    I find it odd that you got good tips from Scandinavians as in most Scandi countries tipping is not the norm. Tipping is actively frowned on in Denmark, they only tip for exceptional sevice in Norway and in Sweden 5 - 10% would be generous. @rainbow - carnage Just out of interest, what are your views on my post (above) on tipping in shops, why should it be only restaurant staff who benefit from tips? Do shop staff in the U.S. get paid significantly more than the minimum wage - which is what most shop staff are paid here? Does it vary much from state to state?
    indeed. most scandis i know see tipping as a bit like bribing. and i totally see their point.
  • @miss annie - From my experience, Scandinavians spend a lot of money (mostly on booze) and tip 10-20%, often on top of the service charge. My guess is that they're so thrilled that the drinks are so much cheaper than in their home countries that they're happy to observe the local tipping custom. Or maybe they're just nice people.

In the States, shop staff are paid at least the minimum wage. Waiters and bartenders are not. I agree with you that it doesn't always make sense that one group gets tips and the other doesn't. What about cabbies and hair dressers? Why do they get tips?

I've had some very positive shopping experiences with helpful, knowledgeable shop staff. But the vast majority are no better than the self checkout tills. Yesterday, I asked a man at Home Base if they sold individual precision files. I showed him a box containing six of them. They were clearly labeled 'files'. He showed me a wall full of screwdrivers. I had to explain to him the difference between a file and a screwdriver. I don't think this man deserved a tip. Frankly, he doesn't really deserve to keep his job.

I'd like to think that shops that employ expert staff pay them a decent wage. Obviously, that's often not the case. I don't know the solution to that.
    Me neither. Homebase are exceptionally unhelpful and know very little about their products. The local hardware stores are mostly very good, I try to buy DIY stuff from them. It is frustrating that shop staff that give great service and that customers expect so much from are paid the same, or often less, than staff in supermarkets who spend the day zapping beans through a till. I'd still rather work in a bookshop than Tesco though.
    I had a bloke in Sainsbury's who didn't know what beansprouts were the other day, he offered me beans and then when I explained beansprouts were what you put in a stir fry, he took me to the stir fry sauces aisle.

It was quite sweet really, I explained they were a vegetable and then left it.

To dangerously re-enter the tips debate.

I think if we can establish anything it is that Americans don't tip because they are more generous than the rest of the world, they do it because they think they have to and that is how their (mad) system works.

Now you could argue that a culture that doesn't have to tip, but still regularly does is actually more generous.

The exception to any discussion has to be large group split bills, where a special rule of carnage operates - as Dorothy illustrates.

Speaking of madness, are the Noble still operating their insane have to spend £20 to use a card policy?
  • AliAli
    Does any one tip the barber ?
    Why is the tipping system mad? It has nothing to do with generosity, it is payment for services received from people who are low paid, but whatever, it is what it is and generally, service is better in the US than here and I would argue that service is better in Europe as well where service charges are added to the bill.

I don’t understand how some people can moan about the lousy service while at the same time insist they don’t have to tip or complain when a mandatory service charge is imposed. You get what you pay for.

We had a student doing a two-week work placement at my job recently. At lunch one day she mentioned that in addition to her studies she waited tables at a pub, taking orders, delivering food, clearing tables, on the weekend for extra money and that after a full shift she might earn an extra £10 in tips…only £10 for a full shift! I was shocked. I seriously doubt her customers were leaving 10%.

@Ali – yes I always tip my barber. For a £9 haircut I give my barber an extra £2-2.50.
    I like tipping, as long as it's at the payer's discretion.

It makes everyone feel better and ups the vibe. Shame they're supposed to be taxed, but I guess it has to be that way.