The W.I.

Comments

• edited 4:44AM
    Hello, The WI have now given me the direct email for a lady called Maureen Handley who, I hope, will give us the info that we need to take our first formal steps to becoming an official W.I. She is only contactable by email and I have copied Beccie in so that she has the details too. We will become part of the Mid Essex federation if all goes well!
    I think this is really interesting, I would love to join such a group. My nan was a member of her W.I and I think its a brilliant and often much forgotten organisation!

Susie
    So... We have a response! There is a form attached to the email which I'll fill in later today, and then we should be all set for a visit. They have said that we need to think about a venue and we need to decide on the official positions. I'm thinking the Dairy's dining room as a venue if that's ok with Adam. We have used it as a book club venue and it's great on days of the week (Monday/Tuesday?) when it's not booked out. Have a read and perhaps we could think about a meeting soon. From my email... Thank you for your email enquiry about starting a branch in your area - London N4 (Stroud Green and surronds) I am sorry that you had no response from your previous enquiries via the website, but I am fairly sure that they weren't sent to us. May I ask who has given you my details on this occasion, not important but I am just curious. So Annie lets start again, we are the Middlesex Federation and would like to get you on the way to opening that new branch in your area. I shall attach a leaflet we send to all enquiries like yours and hopefully it will give you a good idea of what its all about. Just remember you shall not be alone, we are willing to give you all the support that is needed. It sounds promising I like the sound of a massive amount of enthusiasm. We are dealing with quite a change within the WI at present with younger women becoming members and there are a lot of new WI's opened in the London area of late. We shall need a few more details from you starting with your location if you can give us more details that would be great. So looking forward to hearing from you shortly. Kind regards Maureen Handley WI Adviser MFWI
    Form filled in and returned, I'll keep you all posted. Miss A
    I have spoken to Maureen from the W.I. today. She is putting together some options on dates for us to meet with her and two other W.I. advisers so that they can make us a proper meeting. They want to meet sometime within the next two weeks! I will have their availability tonight, I'll email it to Beccie to be sent out and I'll also post here. Do you think it would be a good idea to put a poster up in BBM advertising it too? The lady from the W.I. Said that there are usually about 30 interested people at initial meetings and that it generally grows from there. Please invite anyone who is interested, the W.I. welcomes everyone. Well everyone female!
    Good work Miss Annie. No harm in a poster - maybe in Front Room as well as in BBM?
  • Great news, I'll post details of the meeting in our church newsletter too. Is it likely to be on a weekday evening?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    If the branch will cover all of N4... Cafe Vintage (Mountgrove Road), Highbury Butcher, Cinnamon Village (Blackstock Road)... and the N4 Library? I can email around to NCT groups in Stroud Green and Haringey. Looking forward to the meeting!
  • Any news on potential dates Miss Annie?
  • Ok, the lovely ladies from the W.I. are all provisionally available to meet us next Tuesday -15th Nov at 7.30. I will, I hope, have confirmation in a couple of hours. As they are extremely busy overseeing a whole county and much of London, it is very much a case of us fitting in with them rather than them accomodating us with dates. I'm thinking that the Old Dairy would be a good place to meet as the restaurant is usually quiet at the start of the week but I will check with lovely Adam. Does anyone else have any ideas on a venue? They will want to know where our meeting place is likely to be. This will be our chance to ask all the questions that we want to ask so come prepared! Please bring any other interested friends, it would be brilliant to have a nice lively group. As soon as we have the date confirme
  • Tuesday 15th November at 7.30 it is!
  • I think The Old Dairy is the best place unless you are expecting loads of people (I don't know how big the private dining space is). If this is the definite venue I'll email the person who puts together our church bulletin to drum up more people. Well done MissAnnie, thanks for organising this!
  • Thank you for organising this - I'm bookgrouping the second Tuesday of the month, but hopefully will make the second meeting.
  • Hi, this thread is what got me to join the site, rather than skulking as a guest...I hope to make the meeting next Tue. Have just refreshed memory on lyrics to 'Jerusalem'...!
  • It's the third Tuesday of the month, isn't it? Will be there.
  • Hi <div><br></div><div>I'm new to the forum but joined the facebook group a while ago. I'm hoping to join you on Tuesday. And willing to put in my share of work to make the group work!!</div><div><br></div><div>See you Tuesday</div>
  • <p>First W.I.meeting tomorrow at 7.30 in the back room of the Old Dairy on Stroud Green Rd N4. </p><p>Don't forget it's our chance to ask questions and find out all the info that we need to make our W.I. most fabulous. We'll be able to pick the brains of real live W.I. ladies.  Do come!</p>
  • i hope it goes really well, im sorry, im ill and wont make it :/
  • <p>Well, if you're feeling better tomorrow do come along!</p>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It's this evening, see you all there!
  • Hello all, I would love to be able to join you tonight, but I'm stuck indoors waiting for a futon I sold on ebay to be collected... Will I be able to join you all on subsequent meetings maybe? I would love to be involved as I've been looking for a local WI group for months!<br>Hope the meeting goes well tonight<br>Gaelle<br>x<br>
  • <p>Well well, what a splendid meeting! Lovely to see all the new and familiar faces. </p><p>Everyone's contact details will go on to an emailing list and a message will be sent out to confirm what was agreed tonight and what we need to for next time. Anyone who comes next time will have their details added to the list.</p><p>Next meeting will be on Tuesday 6th December at 7.30pm. Do join us!</p>
  • Agreed, Miss Annie, a fantastic meeting. Thanks so much for your lead on this!
  • Very much agree. Had a great time - thanks Pres. for getting the show on the road.<br><br>Weren't the ladies from the Middlesex branch fab too!<br><br>Looking forward to our Christmas meeting. If anyone needs any help in meantime, pls just shout.<br><br>Sea<br>
  • Hello all The next W.I. Meeting will be on January 10th. The Dairy is a bit too noisy for meetings and the Sugar Lounge too dark (and smells of fried food). We need somewhere quiet and bright enough for us to hold our meetings, events, talks, demonstrations etc. Any suggestions?
  • edited December 2011
    <P>Ajani - always plenty of room.</P>
  • Seconded. Sorry I didn't make it last time - looked for you in Old Dairy and didn't think of checking website. 
  • The Stapleton Tavern in the back, but everyone brings a floor or table lamp?