Moka

edited August 2011 in Local discussion
Technically outside the bounds of Stroud Green, but of interest to Upper East Siders and users of Harringay Rail station or Stroud Green Library: A new café/delicatessen has opened on Wightman Road next to the tapas joint. I popped in on Saturday while waiting for a train. The coffee was excellent and reasonably priced (£1.90 for a substantial cappuccino). The décor is all stripped-back brickwork and fancy character-features, and it’s run by a friendly Mauritian family. So think Boulangerie Bon Matin with added pakoras. It was only their second week of opening and they were quite busy – slightly frenetic in fact – but the atmosphere was still relaxed. Every single occupant was reading the Saturday Guardian. It has a lovely sunny yard out the back. It’s less capacious than BBM – more like Good for Food* on Blackstock Rd. Very friendly staff who seemed delighted to serve. @Tosscat – could be a goer for your morning coffee, I await your review. Arky *Initially mistyped as ‘God for Ford’.

Comments

• edited 4:14PM
    I meant to go both this weekend and the weekend before. There was a big feature on the 'other' website. Maybe next weekend. I'll let you know.
    Oh, and it'd be no use for my morning coffee both because I'm too early, and I take my own.
  • In the interest of promoting a good local business, <a href="http://www.harringayonline.com/forum/topics/cafe-moka-first-look" target="_blank">here are some pictures of Moka</a> on Harringay Online.
    Oooh - looks ace. We've got 500 overdue childrens books to return to the library, so it will be a nice trip out.
  • Dear local business owners, photos make all the difference.

I read this thread yesterday and didn't think much of it. 15 minutes is too long of a walk for a cup of coffee. But now that I've seen photos, I'm definitely going to check it out later this week.

I'm both busy and lazy. A website with photos and menus will get me through the door much quicker than a Qype listing.

Of course, word-of-mouth helps... Thank you, Arkady.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Interesting. It suggests that local businesses may not be making the most of the forum. If such a such a business started a new thread here - under classified or otherwise - with pictures, a friendly hello and a cheery invitation to come by it would presumably drum them up extra customers. They could use the thread to respond to constructive criticism, advertise new offers, etc. Season have come closest to doing this off their own back, and seem to have impressed. (Tosscat, we await your review of that too).
  • edited August 2011
    Went this morning. Really lovely staff/owner. Fab garden (think Good for Food) with lots of veggies/herbs growing which the lady came out and harvested for lunch.

And crucially (for me at least) the coffee was good
    Could it be worth having a new heading? I know there's 'classified' but how about 'here I am' where you describe your business?
  • Did anyone happen to notice the opening hours?
    I've had breakfast here twice this week -- FAB!

The hours are: 7am - 4pm with Breakfast served until 11.30 and Lunch from 12-3 August has evening opening as well from 5.30pm - 7.30pm Sat 9-4 and Sun 10 -4

My new fav local :)
    i asked about opening times - i think they said 7-7 weekdays and something like 9-4 at weekends - but she said they would stay open as long there were people coming in at the moment. i went just after 4 last weekend and it stayed open till at least 5, so i think they will respond to what the demand is.
  • Brilliant. Thank you. Didn't want to traipse down there in the rain only to discover that it's closed.
    I didn't look at the photos strangely but given the levels of enthusiasm from other SG'ers thought i'd venture up to the dizzy heights of Wightman Road to have a look. Moka is a lovely venue. Great space, interesting layout, really really nice furniture and a great "rustic" outdoor space at the back (which is where we sat). Sort of reminded me of sitting out in my back garden. Anyway, i don't think we had a "regular" experience. Everyone working seemed stressed to bits, snapping at each other, not really knowing what was going on. It all boiled down to changeover from breakfast service to lunch, and the subsequent fallout. According to the guy doing the cooking, he works off one ring and isn't allowed an extractor fan...and he also said the kitchen was tiny....but it seemed pretty big to me. I'll take his word though, since he's doing the cooking! Word of warning, don't visit between 11.30 and 12.00 as thats changeover time, unless you just fancy drinks and a cake. After about 30 mins, all seemed happy in Moka again and i can reflect that my latte was superb, my sandwich was excellent. My girlf had a cup of tea which she deemed to be nice but it was tiny, half full and didn't come with a pot for refills. Like me she said the sandwich was excellent. So, definietly visit Moka, they've made a lovely space to spend some time. The food and drinks are nice if a bit tight in the tea dept, and as long as the issues are teething problems they will have a very successful time.
  • Just been, it was as lovely as everyone says... do go and try it out.