Wedding venue

2»

Comments

• benben
    edited 2:06PM
    my girlfriend and I have just got engaged. We don't yet know numbers of budget, so perhaps it's a bit premature to ask for guidance, but we would like to hire out a decent restaurant, somewhere in London. We are considering Fredericks, in Islington, but are looking for other suggestions. Any ideas? Would be v grateful.
    Thanks in advance.
    Ben and Nicole
  • edited 2:06PM
    Sabor on Essex Rd is both very good and does the 'long table' thing very well.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Misscara, how could you fail to mention <a href="http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/pubs/the-knights-templar-near-fleet-street">our future wedding venue</a> and <a href="http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/hotels/the-wyndham-arms">honeymoon in Bridgend?</a>
    Hi there,

Congratulations Donna, how exciting!

I got married at Islington Town Hall, we had the cosy Mayors Parlour and they have lots of different rooms and a giant room. They have made it even nicer there too by changing the front of the Town Hall, planting etc.

We wanted a quick wedding, simple and stress free. Ben, the town hall has recommendations for local venues for hire. One of them is Fredericks and that is used a lot and looks lovely.

We went to Ottolenghi and had the back long table, they did a cake etc and it was very nice. It was very simple, stress free and lovely which I just what we wanted as we had a new born and just wanted to get married without fuss.

It was lovely. We got married on Feb 14th so they did a thing in the local paper and we had a free photographer too.

Good luck.

Bridget
    We got married at the Ironmonger's Hall in the Barbican. It's an amazing venue and apparently they filmed a bit of one of the Harry Potter films there. You can bring in outside catering and music, but think they need their own insurance (my mate is a caterer, so he sorted it all). We had about 110 guests, but guess you could have 125.
    No idea, but congratulations Ben!
  • benben
    edited 2:06PM
    thanks Andy, and thanks for the ideas everyone else. I would have replied sooner but am away on holiday.

We may need somewhere bigger than Fredericks, which I think only takes 120 - we would prefer a smaller wedding, but both have large families. Already into negotiations with parents about who is 'essential'.
  • So, Ben and Donna, what did you end up doing ( seperatly of course) ? We are also planning to get married next summer, but wanted cheap, local and easy ( also have new baby). Would love to know what you came up with and how it worked out. 
  • We ended up getting married (officially) at Islington Town Hall, and then had a ceremony with a humanist celebrant a few days later at Roast restaurant, in Borough Market. It was neither cheap nor local in the end, but we had an absolutely lovely day. We managed to persuade Borough Market to let us have our reception in the market itself (it was a Sunday, so there were no stalls), and then returned upstairs to Roast where we had our meal + dancing etc. <br>
  • edited December 2011
    We got married in Islington Town Hall and hosted the reception at the New North Star pub, which is about a 10 minute walk from the town hall. It has an outdoor area where people could sit as well as an indoor space, so great for as summer wedding. We were very lucky with the weather in July and it was a lovely sunny day so it worked perfectly. It was very informal and relaxed and we had a buffet. They weren't terribly organised at the pub, as I'm not sure they'd done many weddings before, but it was cheap - cost nothing for the venue and the food was £20 per person. Drinks were normal pub prices so that was the most expensive bit, and we had an open bar all night. In total, the wedding cost about £7,000 and I think approximately £4,000 of that went on booze! You don't have to spend that much obviously on alcohol but you do have to guarantee a spend of £3,000 on food and drink I think to get the New North Star as a venue for free. As you can imagine, everyone had a great time....<br>