The Nicholas Nickleby

2»

Comments

• There's a weaving shop on Seven Sisters, isn't there? 
  • Yes, Handweavers. They sell yarns, looms and associated weaving products. I imagine that a lot of what they do is either wholesale or bespoke because there never seems to be anyone in there.
  • miss annie, Nest has just started stocking fabric - they tweeted about it the other day. There's also a fabric place on Mayes Road, at the back of Wood Green shopping centre.
  • wool, yarn and fabric from a shop attached to a pub? A bit niche.<br><br>We need a bloody book shop!<br>
  • Have you had a look at the bookshop thread? Purely out of personal curiousity do you buy books from bookshops or the internet - Amazon barnesbq?
  • I don't buy books at all, I was thinking of you lot.<br><br>
  • walk down to blackstock road, the bookshop there's pretty decent.
  • What bookshop in Blackstock Road?<br>
  • The second hand one that has a branch each side of the road I think? They have some great stuff in there.
  • Now I want to open a shop called Village Fete...<br>or maybe set up a permanent home for Crafty Pint there...<br><br>Or maybe I have found the 2 bed flat I'm looking for, if I front it with a pretend shop that no-one ever will want to go in. What would I need to sell to have no customers disturbing me?<br>
  • <p>Please set up a home for Crafty Pint, I will come and work for you. </p><p> </p>
  • @krappyrubsnif.  There are two on either side of the road.   It's my understanding that there was a falling out between the two ladies who initially ran one bookshop, in aid of a cat charity.  They split and now have one each, both still in aid of cats, I think. <div><br></div><div>I've given a huge number of books to the shop on the right as you go down.  That's my favourite.</div>
  • @woolly - where should I send the bill for branding and naming services?
  • @andy I will pay you in tombola tickets<br>
  • Hello, I'm new to the site but have lived in the area for a few years now. The NN is so awful, I tend to agree with many who think a tea/coffee shop with a bite to eat would be superb.
  • House of Hodge (the one with A.N. Wilsher on the sign) is heaven. I've found a 1950 'Metropolis of Tomorrow' plan for Cape Town there and a 1944 Abercrombie Greater London Plan signed by a Tower Hamlets councillor at the time. <span style="font-size: 10pt; ">My partner found a complete set of the Booth religious influences series. </span>
  • I feel sorry for the unloved Nic Nic. I've only been there a handful of times, but the beer was decent and I've had far less enjoyable evenings in overcrowded loud obnoxious trendy pubs. The lighting is very bad and it has the feel of walking in on someone's front room the way a bunch of men are sitting quietly in front of the telly, but I hope this lease is the landlord's way of keeping the other half open. I can't help thinking it wouldn't take a huge amount to make that pub more popular. The area up for rent usually seems deserted anyway.<br>
  • I went to the Harringay Arms last night, which used to have a very similar feel to the NN, but it's a bit different now.   There used to bit a spare bit next door, probably used for storage which is now a little cafe called The Rambling Rose.   You can order food in the pub from the cafe next door.   There's been a slight revamp as well, they have a duke box with quite good music and lots of music memorabilia stuff which hopefully they'll keep changing.   Wine is still awful, but cheap.  
  • The Rambling Rose is lovely, we had W.I. committee meeting there. Only problem is the chip fat smell from next door in the evenings. Other than that really good and lovely staff.
  • Oh, I liked the Harringay Arms as was! Proper old man boozer, to the extent that I once saw Max Decharne of the Flaming Stars in there. <br>
  • don't worry, they are very subtle changes.  The same upholstery with darning, carpet and furniture and the same barmaid.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Chip fat is not a good smell. Chang
  • My favourite thing about the Nicholas Nickleby pub is the bar billiards table. Great fun.