Crouch Hill Station House

edited June 2012 in Local discussion
<br>Most of you will be familiar with Crouch Hill Station House, the small one-story building next to the station.  Back in 2009, Islington fought a long battle to prevent its demolition and redevelopment.  The original applications of 2009 are P082401 & P082402 (see the link below to Islington's planning site).<br><br>Islington eventually lost, and planning permission was granted to demolish Crouch Hill Station House and replace it with flats and commercial units.<br><br>The developer has now submitted an application to renew the permission (the 3-year limit is up now up).  It is quite possible that Islington will be able to refuse it based on the new national planning guidance, which does emphasise preserving heritage.  This could even be an important test case.<br><b><br>Objections must be submitted by 14 June.</b><br><br>If you want to look or comment, go here:<br><br>http://www.islington.gov.uk/services/planning/planninginisl/plan_interest/Pages/planning-search.aspx?extra=7<br><br>; <br>Then type P120948 (for conservation area consent) or P120890 (for planning consent) in the application box. There are a lot of drawings! - I suggest that perhaps the easiest to look at are: <br><br><ul><li> 3D Perspective DWG 3D-07 (the left hand dwg shows a birds eye view looking down Crouch hill, railway line on left, the right hand dwg shows a birds eye view looking west, railway line on right</li></ul><ul><li> 3D Perspective DWG 3D-05 (views from Crouch Hill, looking east)</li></ul><ul><li> Sketch perspective (new planning application) DWG-01 (view looking along Crouch Hill towards Finsbury Park)</li></ul><br><br>

Comments

• Re the railway heritage aspect (all quotes from the London Overground Heritage Report 2006):<br><br>Of the twelve remaining stations on the Gospel Oak-Barking Line, only three original nineteenth century station houses survive. Unlike the other survivors at Upper Holloway and Harringay Green Lanes, Crouch Hill remains in a "remarkably original condition". "Its elevations of London stock brick and redbrick dressings have been cleaned and the timber sash windows, slate roof and panelled timber entrance doors to the street and on the side return all remain in situ"<br><br>In addition, "the former stationmaster’s house is attached to the rear. It is a substantial two-storey property of matching materials. This is the only station house to survive on this line."<br><br>Crouch Hill Station House, is, therefore, or wider heritage value than to the immediate area; it is a heritage asset for the whole of London.
  • Well said . Last thing we need is more flats. Chang
  • Gosh it would be tragic if it were to be demolished.
  • edited June 2012
    <span style="font-style: normal; ">Thanks Arkady. It's a wonderful little building and adds some historical character amongst some rather run down shops. Unfortunately another shop with a set of flats above would pack-in a few more tax payers; so I doubt it have much difficulty getting approval without </span><i>lots </i>of negative feedback on the plans noted above (which can be accessed via the link above - clicking on "Comment on the application").
  • edited June 2012
    In a house on Japan Crescent there was a poster up that said "Save Our Station House and Ticket Hall, Say NO to new development. Email your support to savethestationhouseandtickethall@yahoo.co.uk"
  • Crouch Hill is such a great little station.  It's wonderful that the trains are running every 15 minutes now and are nearly always on time.   The frequency on the North London line has doubled over the last ten years. Apparently they will eventually make it into a circle <div><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:London_Overground_as_a_circle.svg">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:London_Overground_as_a_circle</a></div><div><br></div><div>London overground has claimed its rightful place alongside the tube.  The trains may not be as regular but it's a lot more pleasant to ride.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • Comments made - I lived opposite the station for a couple of years (in berry lodge) and I really hope the building can be preserved.  Please keep us updated Arkady.
  • Good to see that this has now been refused permission:<div><i><br></i></div><div><span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-size: small; "><i>REASON: The proposed demolition would lead to the total loss of significance of the non-designated heritage asset / locally listed building, it will substantially harm the significance of the Stroud Green Conservation Area and the adjoining conservation area within the London Borough of Haringey.</i></span></div>
  • Excellent ... thanks Thomas.
  • edited June 2012
    Excellent work comrades.<br>
  • Oh yeh, thanks COMRADE. Thanks, really.
  • Great news! Thanks Thomas.
  • Chang, comrades means friends or allies. What exactly is your problem with that?
  • It's the Chinese in me. Bad vibes. Chang