Tesco makes me angry.

2»

Comments

• Thanks for the tip, Miss A.
  • <P>You should try Mah  Bros,  It's olive oil was £2 cheaper that what I just spent for exaclty the same in SG F&V.</P> <P> </P> <P>I guess though the small business needs to make it's margins some where (must be over 50%)</P>
  • edited October 2012
    Its not about margins, and above 50% is too much for most things. You are comparing me to a cash and carry. They have a lot more buying power and probably buy pallets of everything. I cant compete with that. Tesco sell the same oil i think a pound more than i do. Tesco buys even more than the cash and carry, so they get it cheaper then them.But still its more expensive then me and the cash and carry. Just shows you their margins dont it- must be 80-90% minimum. Tesco are a rip off, they are just very cunning with promotions and bogof offers. They know how to lure people in making a loss on some offers if needed, so they can make ridiculous profits from everything else. Interesting site guys- tescopoly.org
  • I had a meeting with Selfridges a while ago (about selling my wares to them) and they told me they mark everything up by three times what it costs. My maths is shaky but I make that 150% mark up! Ash your shop is fantastic. Not expensive at all.
  • Plus Ash's shop has more choice and better products.
  • Thanks annie. Its a shame most people automatically assume tesco is cheapest because of their packaging and fancy adverts. Nearly all fruit and veg is mass produced and harvested way to early so tesco can make even more money. I regurlarly check tesco prices and people that can be bothered to look at the weight of what they are buying will see how expensive it really is. Think about it they must buy tons of fruit so they must get there produce for next to nothing, and yet again they sell higher than everywhere else. Plus farmers are always complaining about them. Now tesco and all the other markets are out to kill off all small shops. Hundreds of local stores are popping up everywhere and the goverment just let them. Its not long before they ruin the country. They never ask us what we think when they open a tesco next door, but they want their business rates no matter what :)
  • Tescopoly is also a book. It makes for some very interesting reading. <br>
  • Stroud Green Road Tesco appears to be deliberately underinvested in and I have been told by people working in the shop it is deliberately under-staffed. ie they need more staff, should have more staff, had people leave but had a recruitment freeze on.<br><br>Essentially it serves a captive audience, ie no other proper supermarket within walking distance and turns over a lot of money, so any limited resources to improve shops will always get targeted towards places with more competition, ie suburban towns.<br><br>Maybe that is changing with Tesco's new push to improve the shopping experience, I still notice, however, in Stroud Green Road Tesco poor choice, nowhere near as many staff as you would expect to find and a predictable lack of stock at certain times, ie always on a Sunday and Monday all-day.<br><br>In that environment it's no surprise some staff can be surly and unhelpful. Others can be lovely though, especially if you take the time to be nice to them.<br><br>In my view Tesco misses a trick on Stroud Green Road, as that shop is a prime example of somewhere that sits within walk can be classified as in a deprived or lower end area but also serves a sizeable population with a lot of disposable income that will make discretionary purchases and buy nice food - ie nice cuts of meat, decent wine, Finest products, and better veg. It should speculate to accumulate. <br><br>My choice if possible: Tony's for meat, Ash's for fruit and veg. Better food, better price, better experience.<br><br><br>
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">However much people moan about the shop many, many people still shop there. Until people start voting with their feet and shopping elsewhere there is no reason for Tesco to change anything. The shop is always busy, therefore I assume makes a healthy profit, while that happens why should Tesco do anything? This is how the corner shop became a huge multinational corporation in the first place, it's the basics of the free market economy - minimise outgoing while maximising incomings. PROFIT IS KING.</font>
  • edited October 2012
    We all need supermarkets, but they are bullies and wveryone knows it. They dont care for anybody except their profit. They open a new local store and claim they are creating jobs, which is bullshit because considering the amount of shops which close down due to them, more people lose jobs than they create. Some people and the goverment might stick up for them now but in the future nobody will have a choice on the highroad. We will be forced to buy from them. Also the more stores they open the less likely people are to open up small shops.. so you,me and especially our kids will suffer. Basically they want everyone to work for someone and never have the oppertunity to even start a business. They have so much money is why they can bully everyone. They made enough money and then thought ' hey why not close down all local and corner shops and take over local areas and the country?' So yeah just because tesco make good profit let all the people who have worked all their life for their business go bankrupt. While some rich guy sits back and gets richer. This is why rich get richer, and the gap between the poor is getting bigger. Give it 50 years, the poor will probably be slaves at this rate.
  • Tescos is going downhill produce-wise but it's damn site betta than places like Value 4 Money one of the 'lovely local shops'. It is a bit depressing. Tesco's Halloween section is wicked though. Just brought an outfit for me and ProGreen to wear at the Fonthill Spooks bash. Chang.
  • Amazingly, the same thing has happened today in the tesco metro on Hornsey rd. There will be bins full of decent product outside there tonight.
  • I only buy at Tesco what I can't buy from other shops. Fruit and veg, I'd much rather go to Ash (where I am always pleasantly surprised by how low the bill is). Apart from the fact that it' a grotty store the oligopolistic  nature of the big supermarkets means I try to avoid them. I'd probably rather go to Sainsbury's than Tesco though, although there isn't much between them ethically. (I bought a baguette from the Sainsbury's at the top of SGR a few months ago and the baker poked a fresh baguette through the display case so that I could have one fresh and warm from the oven, rather than one that had been sitting on display - I thought that was rather nice). <br>
  • edited November 2012
    Supermarkets and large stores often charge a different price at the till from the price marked on the shelves and, yes, it's usually more.   The staff just can't keep pace with the constantly changing prices and special offers programmed into the computerised checkouts.   So it's always worth checking your itemised bill.   This happened to me recently at PC World where they overcharged me massively for DVDs.  At Tesco SGR today I was overcharged 40p for Puff Pastry (yes, I'm just that kind of cook) and when I complained, they gave it to me for free.<br>