Park Theatre

Comments

• Just walked past on my home and put a smile on my face :)<div>Looks beautiful and can't wait to go.</div>
  • A real triumph last night. Four short plays written by and partly acted by deaf artists. Some challenging themes (forced adoption, Fritzl, dementia) and some lighter stuff (overactive comedy Buddha accidently destroying relationships). The Park 200 part is fantastic. It has impressive lighting – though it’s slightly disconcerting when you notice the lighting engineers crawling around on a wire mesh high above your head. Looking forward to the formal launch next week, and to seeing Skin Tight in the park 90 in July.<br><br>The bar has excellent views of all the redevelopments around Finsbury Park station, so I will probably be spending a lot of time glued to the ‘vertigo window’.<br><br>It will be interesting to see whether it is ‘finished’ or not. When I walked past this morning there were virtual no workmen, just a few guys cleaning the windows and tinkering with some lights. <br>
  • The bar does sound good, show maybe a bit mixed? Is this their first publicised play - thought it was a romance? We are going next Friday. The foyer is raw but not sure if the bare wires and staff in skimpy paint covered outfits are intentional or just work in progress? Good luck to Jez and co Chang
  • It appeared that the furniture had been sufficently upgraded overnight.  I spotted sofas.<br><br>Some pictures from the pre-opening show:  https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151579006821162.1073741827.38319916161&type=1<br><br>;(You will see my point about overactive buddahs)<br>
  • Here for pre-launch piece described above by Arkady. Definitely still work in progress (people painting walls around us, ceiling clearly expected to be added in bar). But great atmosphere, all staff really friendly, and it's going to be a fantastic place.
  • What did you think if the plays Shaun?
  • Of the four, one very good (adoption), one quite good & impressive acting (girl in cellar), the other two okay. But I saw these as giving the place a try-out, and giving the theatre company a venue, rather than a full part of Park's repertoire. I'm booked for These Shining Lives and School for Scandal and those will be more of a taste of the standards we might expect.
  • Broadly agree.  I thought the last one was a tad incomprehendible for a hearing audience, but I may just lack imagination.<br>
  • But it was quite fun hearing all the deaf people in the audience burst out laughing at a joke we hadn't quite followed.
  • First night tonight. Busy but coming in late for a drink to see the bar (2 late for show) staff were unfriendly - all sitting at a table sharing backstage stories/secrets in a drama school way. Jez friendly as ever, and mutt lovely. Foyer distinctly b&q but orchids a nice touch (WI?). Going to show on sat, so looking forward to red carpet treatment as it is my birthday ! Chang
  • Passed by the theatre on the way back from work about 7.15.  All the people going into it looked like typical Radio 4 middle class zombies.  I like good theatre but is theatre (in London and England)  always the preserve of these type of people.  The horror!
  • First night impressions (These Shining Lives): great venue, nice bar, good sized but intimate theatre, comfortable. Bar staff a bit nervous. Play very well acted by highly accomplished cast, not a weak link among them, but seemed a little two dimensional and insubstantial for an opener. Probably considered a good opening production as it is quite short, no interval, not too demanding, a good ensemble piece, but not Shakespeare. I would have preferred a stonking classic drama with all the stops out. Very promising indeed, though, I shall be going to see Maureen Lipman in The School for Scandal. Overall, great addition to the area - well done Jez and co.
  • edited May 2013
    PS, yes I am a typical middle class zombie and I do listen to Radio Four.
  • edited May 2013
     Lovely all the same, as are a lot middle class people. Must check out a play soon!
  • Papa L, not sure any middle-class zombie would be seen dead in a short-sleeved-shirt-and-tie combo!
  • edited May 2013
    Sad to see Kreuzkav is still a prejudiced, hate-filled, nasty piece of work.  Fester on.  <br><br>I had a lovely and fascinating conversation with a charming elderly couple before the bar became too noisy for them - they seemed thrilled to be there as did everyone else.  Their loveliness was undimmed by the distinct possibility that they could be classed as bourgeois and probably listened to Radio 4.  Painfully amusing that a narrow-minded pseudo-class-warrior would regard a station dedicated to critical thinking as a mark of the zombie.<br><br>Anyway.  The theatre has definitely been polished since last week - indeed they were still varnishing the exterior woodwork when I arrived.  The bar is much more comfy than it was, and the beer selection has improved further.  <br><br>I really liked the show - I confess to shedding a tear.  I don't have Krappy's critical faculties - it didn't feel insubstantial to me (unless the end was a tad twee) - but I suspect he's right about the reasons for choosing it though.  It was punchy and certainly didn't feel overlong.<br><br>I was delighted to shake Jez's hand on the way out.  I've never seen a man look more tired though; I hope the time comes when he can appreciate what he's achieved.<br>
  • Did u like the dog? Chang
  • edited May 2013
    The zombies just looked like people who listen to Radio 4, especially the Archers.  They were wandering from the tube a bit phased, like it the first time they'd been to the area.  It was quite funny. I thought, I bet they're looking for the theatre.  All probably lovely people! <span style="font-size: 10pt;">Chill Arky, I like theatre and Radio 4 (in moderation) and today I sported a jumper over shirt.  </span>
  • I was there on Wednesday (think I even managed to work out who Arkady was, via previous descriptions).<div><br></div><div>Very nice feel in general, especially liked the theatre dog wandering around. Staff were friendly, great bar for middle class people-watching. Don't know if the books suspended from the ceiling is an original <a href="http://www.lissongallery.com/#/exhibitions/1995-03-25_richard-wentworth/">Richard Wentworth</a> piece, or just a rip-off, but looks good anyway. </div><div><br></div><div>We were in the stalls - good view and intimate. Friends sat in the second row (the back) of the circle and found it a bit uncomfortable. Since I think the price is the same, I'd always choose a stall seat.</div><div><br></div><div>Didn't much like the play - bit too clunky and anti-climactic for me - but the cast is terrific, and I had no idea Honeysuckle Weeks is in it (love her). Am totally won over by short-ish plays and no interval though - all plays should be like this in future.</div><div><br></div><div>Definitely going back for other plays, and it's brilliant the theatre is in the area. An amazing achievement really if you consider the climate in which it has been built. </div><div><br></div><div>I am middle class (lower middle; formerly "scrounger" class) and I listen to Radio 4 all the time. I even listen to the download of the Archers omnibus when I'm doing my Waitrose shop. I also think Kreuzkav was joking, or at least being cheekily antagonistic, so let's not be too hard on him. He's also right - it was full of middle-class zombies, as are most theatres, which was not always the case (I'm currently reading the Intellectual Life of the British Working Classes, which is brill). </div>
  • You should have said hello.  I could have introduced you to Krappyrubsnif.<br><br>Weeks was great, wasn't she.  <br>
  • Anyone called Honeysuckle gets my vote
  • I was there on Wednesday too, in the stalls, had a great time. Wish I'd met you guys! I loved the play. It was touching and romantic and funny and very well cast.
  • edited May 2013
    @ Emine.  'The Intellectual Life of the British Working Classes' is a book I mean to read.  A friend read it a few months ago and recommended it.  Thanks for the reminder.  Good plays especially in an intimate theatre are amazing.  The Park Theatre seems like a great addition to the area.  I hope it's used by all classes and doesn't become another theatre for the posh middle class to network and feel culturally on top. Like you, my parents were working class, though more aspiring than scrounger (I guess that was a joke) and I'd put myself in the lower middle class bracket now (not on the income scale) but on the cultural, as most of my interests would be deemed 'middle class?'. 
  • Honeysuckle Weeks is a working class hero in our house. Not literally, but she shows what can be done from a rough background with only a few friends called Jez etc Chang.
  • edited May 2013
    We will be having FreeFit social meetups after each Saturdays 2.30pm Freefit which is held in Finsbury Park at 2.30 pm.<div><br></div><div>Chance to come and :</div><div>Meet the trainers</div><div>Make friends</div><div>Chat to people you train with</div><div>Grab some refreshments</div><div>Talk about your health and fitness journeys</div><div><br></div><div>Where?</div><div>Park Theatre 1st floor Cafe opposite the Morefit Studio</div><div>When?</div><div>From around 3.35pm onwards Saturdays after FreeFit</div><div><br></div><div>More info you can just call us or check the website.</div><div><br></div><div>07956365077</div><div><br></div><div>http://www.morefit.co.uk/freefit/</div><div><br></div><div>We are really happy that the Theatre has finally opened.</div><div><br></div><div>This is designed to be a really informal fun way to end each Saturdays training session.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • Four star review in the Guardian today for These Shining Lives. 'Will gladden the hearts of zombies everywhere'. More?
  • Had my friend over for a visit and we went to see The thing about Psychopaths yesterday. We left the theatre rather charged. A bit of a shame that we weren't allowed to cheer for the actors in the end, but still, a wonderful play. <br>The staff is very friendly and helpful and I quite like what they've done with the interior, mixing old with new. A nice venue. Will definitely go and see These Shining Lives, too. <br>
  • Funny place. Got 2 tickets for me and Saskia for sat pm. The David Yip play. Y Mum loved him in the Chinese Detective. Girl at the bar obvs on gap yah took her time ("3 shows tonite n we r all so sweaty! " ) but did a nice job and obvs Luvs the place (;sweaty or not). Anyone seen the show?