What SGR really needs...

edited June 2013 in Local discussion
<div>Post here to save fledgling businesses making a doozy. </div><div><br></div><div>What SGR needs: </div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Local Food Cooperative</span></div><div>Waitrose</div><div>Dotori Extension</div><div>Artisan Bakery</div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Stapleton Tavern closing ? There is only one answer. Stroud Green Road needs above all else a Craft Beer Co. </span></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>While we are at it what would you like to see gone. </div><div>Kebab shops</div><div>Betting shops</div><div>Greasy Spoons</div><div>Copycat, out of a prefab takeaways and diners. </div><div><br></div><div>Discuss. </div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div>

Comments

• Things are fine as they are we don't need another shop on sgr. Why should we get rid of a greasy spoon just to bring in an artisan
  • @ldnflyer. You've just described Queens Park, which is rather dull.<div><br><div>Artisan bakers are laughing their heads off at the moment. People are actually paying £5 for a loaf of bread, just because the bakers actually used their hands! </div><div><br></div><div>Gail (of Gails Artisan Bakery) now drives a Bentley Continental and holidays at the Sandy Lane resort. She puts her success down to adding olives to anything as "you can add £3 to anything with a few olives". Her biggest selling product is the olive sausage roll which retails at £3.99.</div></div>
  • I agree with both Detrius and BrodieJ.
  • I agree with both Detrius and BrodieJ.
  • Lordy, people are gullible. Who buys all that stuff? Honestly for the price of a week's worth of Gail's loaves you could nip on the Eurostar and fetch authentic stuff back from France yourself! Gail doesn't make tiger bread - sign of a quality baker is tiger bread.
  • edited June 2013
    So it's Kebabs, Wetherspoons and Paddy Power for Stroud Green. Sad times. 
  • How is that sad times? I like a kebab people drink in the pub and some people like a bet. Sorry but if you want upper class pretentious stuff move to a village where people can afford £5 for a loaf. It's ridiculous to say get rid of the stuff most people like and bring in the stuff that will impress at the next dinner party.
  • @ldnflyer - bore off with your trolling.
  • edited June 2013
    Such judgemental people here. No community spirit whatsoever.
  • I don't want community spirit I want a kebab.
  • And I think the community spirit is here just not in the way you want.
  • @ldnflyer  I'll bite. Judgemental and lacking community spirit to me describes someone who wants to close all the businesses that people like and use and replace them with those which the local community cannot afford, all for his own gratification...
  • Gail's has stupidly expensive sausage rolls, you can always judge a place on its sausage rolls.<br><br>Mind you I bet the people behind Greggs drive Bentleys too.<br><br><br><br>
  • Just how pretentious does one have to be to think artisan bakery? Yes, we need more of them!<div>An artisan bakery is just a proper old-fashioned bakery, all the artisan word does is allow them to triple the price of everything so that only the jumpers-around-the-shoulders brigade can afford them.</div>
  • I once put a jumper around my shoulders, I felt like a class traitor. I did feel that the pie I was eating tasted better for it.
  • @detritus As long as you weren't wearing chinos and deck shoes at the same time I'm sure you'll recover in time.
  • Idnflyer has only been a member for a short time. I don't know why you people feel (s)he should be treated so roughly. Her/his opinions are just as valid as yours. Welcome to SG.org, Idnflyer. Don't give up on us!
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana">Okay, in answer to the OP...</font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">What SGR needs:</span></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">A nice cafe where I can get some good quality, healthy vegan grub.</span></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">A coffee shop that offers dairy free milk alternatives.</span></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br></span></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">While we are at it what would you like to see gone.</span></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">The detritus (not you Detritus, the litter variety) that covers the pavements of the lower end of SGR.</span></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div><font face="lucida grande, Lucida Sans Unicode, tahoma, sans-serif"><span style="line-height: 18px;">And that's about it. Stroud Green is a lovely place to live, There really isn't much else I would change.</span></font></div>
  • I like SG as it is most of the time. The land of overpriced artisan whatnots aka Crouch End is a five minute bus ride away for those that crave such things. Dunn's is a billion times better than Gail's - cracking sausage rolls and really excellent cream cakes. On the issue of community spirit: this forum has existed since 2006 and from it many friendships have been forged, our local WI has been established, a book club has formed, people have found trustworthy tradesmen, babysitters etc. and that's all from a bunch strangers chatting on an online forum. We may lack artisan bread but we have community spirit in spades! The people behind Greggs deserve their Bentleys for the sausage, cheese and bean pasties alone. Ps @yagamuffin, we can safely say that hell will freeze over before you see Detritus in that combo.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'd like a shop which stocks whatever I need at any given moment, and delivers when I'm feeling lazy or it's raining. This might be a tad unrealistic!
  • <div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">^^^ this </span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">misscara speaks sense here</span></div><div><br></div>
  • What's pretentious about wanting a decent bakery? Happening is hardly fancy and does much better bread than the weirdly overrated Dunn's. More places like that please - I never could understand why the English are so unfussy about bread.
  • And please God let us never turn into Crouch End. Brrrrr.
  • I like that Dunns uses flour from the only mill left in London (Ponders End, if anyone's wondering). Haven't been to Happening much, but caraway loaf is v. good. Second @Mirandola - Stroud Green is best! 
  • I've always found the debate about gentrification quite interesting. Ultimately it involves population movement in and out of an area due to financial push and pull factors. Stroud Green is on the verge of it happening, and from some points of view its welcomed. If you're a homeowner, gentrification will push up the value of your property and in theory (only in theory) reduce anti-social behaviour and crime. Queens Park is white, affluent, full of aspirational family types and full of businesses there to take their cash. They don't mind paying because it helps them "live the dream". I hate it because it doesn't embrace anything from the past or from multicultural society, it pushes out the character and the history and creates an environment that is dull beyond repair. If that happened to SG, it will lose it's heart and it's character......the reason why so many people choose to live round here.<div><br></div><div>I am a homeowner and will be benefit from SG becoming gentrified, but only financially. I like the area because of it's "edge" which many of the so called "undesirable" shops/pubs create. Ultimately, the point that i want to make is that the shops and restaurants that some people dislike, are catering for a market that exists in SG. Saying you want them out, is saying that you want the area to change. It's ok to feel that way, but don't get upset when people point out that they exist for some people that like/need that kind of thing. I don't see why both an artisan bakers and a kebab shop can't share the same street, i think it makes for a better environment.</div><div><br></div><div>For the record, Gail does not sell an olive sausage roll for £3.99 or drive a Bentley or holiday at the Sandy Lane resort. She could if she wanted to though.</div>
  • Stroud Green was at its best about ten years ago.  A few good pubs, a few good restaurants and no big supermarket.  It still doesn't have a big supermarket.  The same good pubs and restaurants survive.  Other pubs and restaurants have come and gone.  I agree with many others above, we don't need more consumer outlets. Stroud Green is best with its individual shops, restaurants and pubs.
  • It's so sad when you look at historical photos of a road of proud shopkeepers and shops in front of period fronts not. Fast food joint in sight. What SGR needs is some responsible planning and enforcement. Why do the council allow the dogs dinner we currently have? A clean street would be a start.
  • Yes bring back the canopies and horse drawn carts. Also a decent sports bar with good Sky Tv and late nite DJ would be good. The old N4 may become Winners which will be good for us footy fans. Chang
  • edited June 2013
     I am totally with Misscara.<div><br></div><div>On the subject of Waitrose, the Waitrose on Holloway Road is good because of its size - it's large and there's a decent choice,  including lots of items form their "essential" range, which is very good quality anyway, plus a proper fish, deli & butcher's counter.  </div><div>The one in Crouch End is really lame - they have the bakery/coffee counter at the front which is a waste of space and the rest is very much convenience food: what's the point of it if there's lots of bakeries/coffee places in CE anyway?! Savvy shoppers in CE go to Sainsburys in Manor House ...everything else is either  very expensive, or one ends up in lots of different small outlets as they may not  be able to find what they want  first time round and spend lots of  money anyway.</div><div>Agree on a proper kebab house, stationery's, newsagent.  A bakery would be nice, but not the "Gail's" type.  I really think Gails is very overpriced for what they do.</div><div><br></div>