Problems with Virgin Media

edited December 2012 in Sharing
<p class="MsoNormal">I am really at the end of my tether. My VM phone has been down for three days again, and they can't tell me when it will be fixed. As these is my my busiest sales week of the year...it is complete disaster for me ...financially !<br> <br> The engineer told me a lot of people in my area are affected due to old cables, that VM <span style="mso-spacerun:yes"> </span>don't want to pay  to replace. I find this appalling. No wonder I have so may problems. <u><b>Apparently we are in  the middle of a blackspot due to a equipment that needs updating.</b></u> I have been told his several times, and yet VM do nothing about it. <br></p> <span style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman";mso-ansi-language:EN-US;mso-fareast-language:EN-US; mso-bidi-language:AR-SA">In the summer my landline was down <b style="mso-bidi-font-weight:normal"><u>for a whole month</u></b>, due a simple fault that was incorrectly identified by a useless engineer. It caused me many problems as I use this line for my business<br> <br> I cannot afford to run my business with a <span style="mso-spacerun:yes"> </span>VMphoneline <span style="mso-spacerun:yes"> </span>anymore. I simply do not have the time to sit for hours being passed from one monkey to another, paying 50p per minute because VM are too mean to offer a landline helpline number forcing customers to use their mobile nos to ring<span style="mso-spacerun:yes">  </span>premium “helpline” number. How is paying 50p per minute to get information about your out of action<span style="mso-spacerun:yes">  </span>phone line, helpful to anyone ?<br> <br> Anyone else been having this problem. ?</span>

Comments

• <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">I live on Birnam Road (off Tollington Park). I use my land line a lot especially in the evenings. Over the last 6 years I have only had one problem and they fixed it quite quickly. If you moan to VM they should give you your line rental back and the phone charges., However this won't make up for lost business or inconvenience for you. I know a pain but you could move to BT/Sky. Where in stroud green are you rosesky?</font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">M</font></div>
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">It is very unlikely you will have these problems with BT</font>
  • edited December 2012
    See several other threads about p.ss-poor Virgin Media service in SG. I could no longer be a.sed with complaining to VM. I didn't want weasel words and measly rebates, I just want a service! So, I moved to BT ... and even though the BT broadband connection in this part of SG is still via overhead phone wires, while VM broadband and TV comes via cable, the service beats hands down what Virgin Media offered during my time with them. The router is WiFi with wire connect option for the PC. (I have an Apple Mac on the desktop and use the wireless ...). The BT website and online billing is so much better than VM's, and I also get free internet access for my iPad, phone and laptop in all BT WiFi hotspots (... there are loads). I did not sign-up for the BT broadband TV service, and so to replace the VM TV service I bought a new 32" digital TV by LG and a booster indoor aerial (all from John Lewis who took away the old set) ... it is great ... makes good use of my BT WiFi for iPlayer, LoveFilm etc, and within a year I will have recouped all the set-up and purchase costs and be paying shed-loads less than with VM. It was a no-brainer for me.
  • AliAli
    edited December 2012
    I also think if you take a BT Broadband package you get a free YourView box and from Jan1st BT Infinity is supposed to be availble which means speeds up to  40 mb  which should be more than enough for most things
  • We're also having problems.  Made an appointment for them to come out (the 2nd time of complaining in 3 weeks).  We waited in.  They didn't show. Their excuse....there is a fault in the area, but they didn't think to tell us!  Very frustrating.  We just want a service that works.<div><br></div>
  • I have heard nothing from then for almost a week now. They promised me they would be in touch to tell me when the problem would be resolved...and nothing at all...my phone still not functioning properly. My problem is that i am locked into  my blueyonder email address which I have been using for everything for ten years, and once i leave VM I have to give up that address, which is going to cause me lots of problems as so many accounts are  linked to it. Bt sounds like a good move however as this service is completely unacceptable. I might just have to bite the bullet as a phoneline which has been down for a total of 5 weeks in the last six months is disgraceful for a supposed first rate provider.<br>
  • Your email address isn't linked to your Internet provider, you can use it no matter who you're with.
  • edited December 2017
  • My virgin phone descended into crackles a few days ago, and now seems to have given up completely - though the internet is OK. About to contact VM to see what they can offer. I've had the phone service for several years - the pattern seems to be that once in a while it goes down, and they have always got it fixed reasonably quickly. But it doesn't sound as if this is going to be the case this time ...<div> </div>
  • Twenty minutes later, having been unable to contact VM either online or by (expensive) mobile phone connection because they didn't recognise my reset password and cut me off from advisor transfer because there was a long wait - I may well be turning into another refugee ...
  • Has anyone else has their bill increase year-on-year by approx.10%? I think this is shocking considering their recent poor service!<br>
  • indeed. However following yesterday's rant the engineer turned up this morning and seems to have fixed things, so I have subsided into low-key muttering again ...
  • edited December 2017
  • well after a whole week, my phone is operational once more, but I know it will only be a matter of time before the phone or the internet goes down again. I think you are right Gardener Joe, i need to bite the bullet, set up a new email and transfer to another provider such as BT. I am afraid in this case, Miss Annie, my email address is owned by Virgin Media who took over blueyonder, and I have been told categorially that when I leave, I cannot use that address. Seems very very wrong to me, but this is what they say. What i want to know is what is going to happen when I sudenly find I cannot access an account, because it is still on the old email address? I won't be able to do anything as they will send  any info to the old email address, which i won't be able to access any more, and with the best intentions in the world, I am not a computer, and after ten years of using one email address, I am bound to miss something or other when i change my settings in my online accounts. what will I do then ?<br>
  • Have Virgin improved? I have just signed up, before reading the various threads..... <br>
  • No.  My neighbour's Virgin broadband is apparently down for ten days. Allegedly because somebody pissed in the cable box on Granville Road.<br>
  • RoyRoy
    edited February 2013
    Although a happy(ish) Virgin customer, and I would point out that I don't know of *any* consumer Internet provider that doesn't have scores of unhappy people bitching about them on the Internet....<br><br>I would say that Virgin seem to be pretty incompetent in terms of properly securing the covers on their 'street furniture'.  Although in the case of the metal street cabinets, I realise they also have big problems from metal thieves jemmying off and stealing the doors of their cabinets<br><br>roy<br>
  • Many thanks! Anyone tried BT?
  • There is a whole thread about it. Put Virgin into the search bar and it should give you a choice of the many different threads full of people discussing the merits of various providers. BT are brilliant.
  • <P>I have just upgraded my Broadband with BT.  Spoke to a really nice UK based call centre person.</P> <P>Everything delivered on time with no fuss.  </P>
  • Came across this<br><br>http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/<br><br>Put in you post code and  then click on your exchange and it will tell you every broadband service provider in that exchange. eg there are 15 SPs at the Upper Hollaway Exchange which is mainly ours.<br><br>Who is going for the free BT Premier football offer. <br>
  • I think BT infinity is not available in all areas here, yet.<br><br>For example, I can't get it but my mate down the road just got his subscription online last month.<br>
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">You can get BT Broadband and then upgrade to Infinity with no penality</font>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Has anyone's broadband connection gotten insanely slow recently? Supposedly I was upgraded from 30MB to 60GB recently, and since then I seem to be stuck at around 15GB or less. <br><br>I'm wondering if this is a local issue, or if I should just feel persecuted by them... <br>
  • How do you even find out what speed it is? I have noticed that since the introduction of BT Sport (which we don't subscribe to), my BT broadband has been crashing occasionally when it never did before.
  • There are a range of speedtest sites out there, but I always use http://www.speed.io/<br><br>I'm trying to email a client a video, and WeTransfer has gone from one hour to four hours to complete - not good!<br>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited December 2017
  • The service is only crap a small proportion of the time, which is certainly better than I can say for BT when I've used them in the past. As you're clearly not a VM customer, Joe, this thread does not affect you in any way - I'm sure there are far more relevant topics on this site for you.