Book Club Meeting: 8pm, 7th October @Old Dairy: The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith/JK Rowling

edited September 2013 in StroudGreen Book Club
Next book club meeting will take place on 8pm on the 7th October at The Old Dairy.<div style="font-weight: normal;"><br></div><div style="font-weight: normal;">The book we have chosen this month is THe Cuckoo's Calling by JK Rowling - the one she wrote as 'Robert Galbraith'.</div><div style="font-weight: normal;"><br></div><div style="font-weight: normal;">Description from Amazon:</div><div><p style="font-weight: normal; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">When a troubled model falls to her death from a snow-covered Mayfair balcony, it is assumed that she has committed suicide. However, her brother has his doubts, and calls in private investigator Cormoran Strike to look into the case.</p><p style="font-weight: normal; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"></p><p style="font-weight: normal; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">Strike is a war veteran - wounded both physically and psychologically - and his life is in disarray. The case gives him a financial lifeline, but it comes at a personal cost: the more he delves into the young model's complex world, the darker things get - and the closer he gets to terrible danger . . .</p><p style="font-weight: normal; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"></p><p style="font-weight: normal; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><b>A gripping, elegant mystery steeped in the atmosphere of London - from the hushed streets of Mayfair to the backstreet pubs of the East End to the bustle of Soho - <i>The Cuckoo's Calling</i> is a remarkable book. Introducing Cormoran Strike, this is the acclaimed first crime novel by J.K. Rowling, writing under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith.</b></p><p style="font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br></p><p style="font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">Thoughts please on whether JK was genuinely outed or was it a deliberate publicity stunt?</p></div>

Comments

• Genuinely outed. Which is why the law firm that represents her was obliged to make a very hefty charitable donation when it was discovered that one of the lawyers wives mates spilled the beans on twitter.
  • Exactly. People just needed to create a bullshit conspiracy theory in order to keep the pageviews coming.
  • Secretly really glad you chose this. I was worried that I would have all kinds of feelings about it, but now I can justify buying it and will try to book-group-ise my thoughts! See you there!
  • Hi<div>Is everyone available for next Monday?</div><div>I need to press on with the book but looking forward to it. </div>
  • I am! I haven't started it! But I've bought it!<br>
  • I've started it and finished it. It's an easy read once you get into it.<br>Definitely coming!<br>
  • Hi, listened to the audiobook while on holiday. Ready for Monday! Anne
  • I'm no expert, but isn't it cheating to listen to the audiobook?
  • I'm definitely in. Half way through and really enjoying it!!
  • Andy nice joke but no it's not cheating. There is no format snobbery in this book club. Maybe your next thread could be iPod vs vinyl?
  • The "format snobbery" isn't mine, it's in the title of the group. It's called a book club.<div><br></div><div>A music club could be format-neutral. But if I was hosting an vinyl club*, I wouldn't want you to bring your ipod.</div><div><br></div><div>And I wouldn't want you to show me pictures of a Diesel Inter-City at my steam train lovers club**.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>*I am unlikely to be hosting a vinyl club.</div><div>** Or a steam train lovers club.</div>
  • edited October 2013
    Which raises the tedious question of whether an audio-book is in fact, a book.<div><br></div><div>Which it isn't. It's a tape recording called a book by people who work in marketing. </div><div><br></div><div>Just because some people with a vested interest in selling me something give it a new name, doesn't make it so. Audiobooks aren't books just because people selling them say so in the same way that Archway isn't Highgate just because estate agents say it is.</div><div><br></div><div>(Apologies. I am now bored by my own pedantry)</div>
  • Andy half the time most of us have failed to the read the book, in any format! I think our club is about discussions - as long as you're up for discussing the book, you are welcome to join us - even if you haven't read it, listened to it, watched it or whatever, just turn up and enjoy a drink with us while we talk about the book. Admittedly it's easier to do this if people have an opinion about the book!
  • edited October 2013
    Errr just read that back... basically we're not a very strict book club
  • Isn't the point to be able to make up your mind about the book and take part in the discussion? So reading the York notes would be cheating. Listening to an audio book most definitely wouldn't be.<br>
  • If you're partially sighted nobody is going to turn you away from a book group because you've listened to the text rather than actually running your eyes down the page. At least I hope not. So who is going to impose a rule that says you're only allowed to use audio books if you can't see?<div><br></div>
  • I won't go to the book club, obvious reasons. But it is a good story, but unnecessarily rude about Gordon Brown. Let me know which actor you think should play the scruffy detective and the black girl. You will never go in that pub near Primark again, miscarra . Chang
  • Wow. I was just trying to make the point that we wouldn't discriminate on how someone accessed the text for obvious reasons. I was responding to what I thought was a jokey comment in a jokey way. <div>Anyone for 'book, audio-book, kindle or any other format and we don't mind if you haven't finished it club'? Not so catchy but maybe we could discuss it on Mon. </div>
  • @jenny sorry, please don't any of that seriously. it was not intended to be taken seriously. <div><br></div><div>If you're looking for a new name, probably 'a drinking club to which you take a book' is best. You could shorten this to 'book club'.</div>
  • Good plan. <div><br></div>
  • Blimey, just caught up with these posts. Didn't realize what my comment on listening to the audiobook would start! Thanks ladies for the defense of the audiobook. I agree that whatever the format a book is still a book formed of words. Andy, I appreciate that your comments what lighthearted and I didn't in anyway take offense but thought maybe it would be useful for you to know: I suffer from a rare disease called Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. It affects the stablity of my muscles throughout my whole body including my eyes so I can't read for very long and can only access books through audio. This has it's frustrations, the quality of the reader for one and not all books a available on audio. I'm really glad that so far the books chosen by the group have been available on audio! (I am voice dictating this post by the way, so please excuse the mistakes and wrong words that sometimes slip in.) See you all on Monday for that glass of wine. Anne
  • <p>Hi, how was the meeting on Monday? I couldn't make it because I was working but really hope to make it next time! When is our next meeting and what did you choose?</p>
  • Hi Charlo, We had a really lively discussion on Cuckoo's Calling! I suggested and Ian Banks book in honour of his recent death: The Crow Road. There may be some confusion as to who was going to post this. Shall I put the announcement up? Anne
  • @Luirette - your fellah cut my hair the other day. Top job too.
  • If you wouldn't mind Luirette, sorry have been crazy busy!