How safe is the Parkland Walk?

edited October 2013 in Local discussion
Having moved here recently, one of the things we are loving about N4 is the Parkland Walk. But how safe is it? Is it fair to see it as safe in the daytime, but to be avoided the minute it gets dark (which is how most people treat the Regent's Canal towpath, for example)? Thoughts please!

Comments

• Commonsense really, don't use isolated places when it's dark. As part of a couple or group it wouldn't bother me but I'd give it a miss on my own.
  • <div><p class="MsoNormal">Awareness helps but also the more people around the better.  I won't go on myself unless it is populated.  </p><p class="MsoNormal">Previous SG.org discussions:</p><p class="MsoNormal"><a href="http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/4604">http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/4604</a><o:p></o:p></p>; <p class="MsoNormal"><a href="http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/comment/49420">http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/comment/49420</a><o:p></o:p></p>; <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p><div><br></div></div>
  • Run on it regularly, and at times in the dark (early winter mornings).  <br><br>Never seen any bother, but am male and generally always on alert.<br><br>Only incident I remember was one winter morning when there was a stabbing on a nearby street where (iirc) they ran away along the Walk, so the police had a cordon up. <br><br>Wouldn't walk along it as a shortcut at night though, no point risking it to save a few mins.  Same as I wouldn't walk through the park after dark. <br><br> <br>
  • I've never had any bother, but then if I am using the Parkland Walk after dark, I'll generally pick up a stout stick for the distance, just in case. I am aware other people may then in turn be put off using the Parkland Walk after dark by sightings of an angry-looking man carrying a stout stick.
  • edited October 2013
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:DocumentProperties> <o:Template>Normal</o:Template> <o:Revision>0</o:Revision> <o:TotalTime>0</o:TotalTime> <o:Pages>1</o:Pages> <o:Words>206</o:Words> <o:Characters>1178</o:Characters> <o:Lines>9</o:Lines> <o:Paragraphs>2</o:Paragraphs> <o:CharactersWithSpaces>1446</o:CharactersWithSpaces> <o:Version>11.768</o:Version> </o:DocumentProperties> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG></o:AllowPNG> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotShowRevisions></w:DoNotShowRevisions> <w:DoNotPrintRevisions></w:DoNotPrintRevisions> <w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery>0</w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery> <w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery>0</w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery> <w:UseMarginsForDrawingGridOrigin></w:UseMarginsForDrawingGridOrigin> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> <!--StartFragment--> <p class="MsoNormal">I use it a lot for dog walking, quite often at dusk or later, to avoid cyclists and my dogs enjoy the rats in the evening.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">   </span>I often go to the park quite late as well.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">     </span>I find the park safer than the Parkland Walk.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">    </span>The Parkland Walk can be very spooky after dark, although there are quite a few cyclists.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">   </span>I sometimes walk from the park to the Lancaster Road exit and it seems to take ages before Londis finally looms out of the darkness.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">    </span>I’ve had a few incidents, where men who are probably drunk or stoned, seem to find me irresistible in the half light and insist on talking to me, following, and one time holding my hand.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">   </span>Nothing I couldn’t walk away from and talk my way out of though.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">    </span>In the summer there seemed to be a certain about of hanging about of groups of lads at dusk with dogs around the grassy bank bit and I’ve had the odd Tarantino moment near the Florence Road exit. </p> <p class="MsoNormal"><!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> The worst thing I’ve had was in broad daylight, when one of my dogs (small naughty terrier) chased a cyclist who then tried to kick him away, unfortunately my dog thought it was part of a game of tuggie and tried to do a bit of hanging on.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">   </span>The man calmly stopped, propped his bike up against a tree, came over to me in the full lycra and mask and before I could get the 'o' of 'sorry' out, slapped me hard across the face, and then got back on his bike without a word.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">    </span>I think you can meet a psycho anywhere, but if you meet one there, you’re on your own.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">   </span>It’s kind of part of it.</p> <!--EndFragment-->
  • Bloody hell! That's disgusting behaviour, let's hope he has a very nasty accident. I'm sorry that happened to you.
  • edited October 2013
    I don't agree with that behaviour either, but I also don't agree with a dog running off leash if it chases and bites cyclists. It's not the dog's fault, but the owner's, and if they can't keep their dog in check, then they deserve a harsh word. I totally understand the cyclist's anger, but that was a tad too far. <br>
  • Agreed that if dogs are likely to chase and bite they should be on a lead, but hitting someone is way more than a tad too far! I don't understand that level of anger at all. Plus, I know the dogs concerned and they are tiny. I could outcycle them and I am not a lycra loon!
  • A tad too far! Sorry Stella you are wrong, it's assault simple as that. If you see him again get a photo. When was this?
  • And a dog biting is nothing? Tiny or not, a dog should not be allowed to run off leash if it attacks people, playfully or not. I don't think the cyclist should have done what he's done, but I understand the anger. No question that he went too far, a serious word would have been enough.<br>
  • I will never understand the anger, especially as the dog didn't bite. It hung on to the bike.
  • No dog biting is not nothing, but physical assault! Come on Stella the two just don't equate
  • The dog was also engaged in a physical assault. 
  • I hate cycling on the parkland walk.
  • Different location, different outcome: my friend rode her horse in a forest, as she does, and a dog, off leash, jumped up, biting the back of the horse. The horse kicked and injured the dog, then ran and my friend fell off (he's a massive horse) and broke her arm. That's how dangerous it can be.<br><br>I'd be rather angry if a dog came chasing me on the bike, biting into the bike and hanging on to it. I know it was just meant as a 'funny' example, but I can't see anything funny in this situation. The cyclist just wanted to cycle and mind his business, he may even have a super expensive bike and expensive tyres, and if the dog had bitten through the tyre, the cyclist's day would have been over. That doesn't mean I agree with physically assaulting people. <br><br>You, Detritus, are verbally assaulting people if they dare to jump a red light. While it's certainly illegal, it has nothing to do with you, and most possibly won't harm you either. A dog attacking--even if playful--is an attack. Simple as that. <br><br>I don't agree with that either.<br>
  • Peter: only did it once when my friend was here. Apparently it's a great 'even' shortcut to Archway. I'd like to try that some time soon, but I'm not too keen on punctures. Better for mountain or cross bikes, road bikes aren't too suitable.<br>
  • edited October 2013
    <p class="MsoNormal">Thanks Miss Annie.</p><p class="MsoNormal">My dogs weren’t biting.<span>   </span>One of them was running, doing a bit of yapping and jumping up a bit.<span>  </span>If there had been any risk of them biting, they would have been muzzled.<span>   </span>It was last year when they were still pups.<span>   </span>The bloke wouldn’t have had a mark on him.<span>   </span>Even when they catch rats, it’s a grab and shake, there’s no blood or puncture marks.<span>    </span>The worst the man would have had, would have been a small hole in his lycra, but then it was his choice to try and kick a dog.<span> </span></p><p class="MsoNormal">I don’t think it's possible for a dog to grab a moving tyre.   I wasn't trying to be funny.<span> </span></p><p class="MsoNormal"> I completely understand that a lot of people are scared of dogs, no matter how small they are.<span>   </span>I don’t think this man was even that scared, just full of indignation at the disrespect of the dog, and that he couldn’t get a good kick in.<span>    </span>That wouldn’t have been the first time he’d hit a woman.<span>  </span>He was too methodical.<span>   </span>Probably went home and slapped his wife for not folding away the tea towels correctly.</p><p class="MsoNormal">There are loads of strategies for stopping dogs chasing.<span>  </span>I’ve used most of them, and they’ve been trained out of it now.<span>  </span>It’s quite hard to train dogs when they’re always on the lead though.<span>   </span></p><p class="MsoNormal">I’d have to say most people are respectful and lovely on The Parkland Walk, but I was surprised by the amount of cunt calling from cyclists and joggers, sometimes just because my dogs were a bit in the way and not sitting on command at the side to allow the person through.<span>    </span>Unsurprisingly a friend of mine, who happens to be a big bloke with a staffie, gets no trouble, when he takes my dogs out.<span>   </span>It’s such easy sport to give out abuse to a woman on her own, when there's no one else around.<span> </span></p> <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:DocumentProperties> <o:Template>Normal</o:Template> <o:Revision>0</o:Revision> <o:TotalTime>0</o:TotalTime> <o:Pages>1%3-->
  • Stella The dog didn't bite anyone. Hitting someone is not acceptable adult behaviour.
  • I'm not sure where you two get the idea from that I think the cyclist's behaviour is acceptable. <br>
  • I don't think I agree with your definition of attack.  Running and barking might be frightening for some people but it's not an attack.   <div><br></div><div>The horse in the forest, (not a bridal path, I take it) is a completely different thing.<br><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>
  • Well, according to your first description, the dog tried to hold on to the guy, and if someone feels the need to kick a dog in order to get rid of a chasing dog, then it wasn't just a bit of running and barking. In my opinion. I don't want to get into an argument here, but I stand by what I've said, it's not acceptable that a dog off leash presents such behaviour. It doesn't matter how big or little. Had it been me, I'd have dismounted and given you an earful (of words!). Sorry if you don't agree with that, but it's one of the things I fear when cycling: being chased and bitten by a dog. <br>
  • edited October 2013
    Harsh words are fine.   My dogs urge to chase cyclists is something I've worked incredibly hard to train them out of.   However people have threatened to kick my dogs, just if they've got close to them, sometimes yelling, I don't like dogs, keep them away or I'll kick them etc, so its not as simple as if someone feels the need to kick them they're justified.<div><div><br></div><div>Anyway its very hard to kick a dog, you just look stupid.   </div><div><br></div><div>If a dog chases you while cycling, (clearly it shouldn't be, gives you a jump, the owner hasn't trained it, how annoying, etc), if you stop the dog will stop too and is unlikely to bite you, it's playing, or you could try going much faster, (if it's a staffie or a terrier, not a greyhound) or just shouting 'sit', even untrained dogs normally know that command.   Giving the owner a load of abuse although satisfying isn't going to help and you've overtaken the original offence by revealing you're a crazy person.    The only cyclist who has ever got off, was that one.  The rest have always sworn at me and sped off.</div><div><br><div><br></div></div></div>
  • Look, I see your point, and I know your dog was just playing; I'm only saying that I do see the point of the cyclist, too. You know your dog just wants to play, but he might not have known. I know a bit about dogs, because I'm a big fan of Cesar Milan, still, if a dog would chase me on the bike, particularly a bigger one, I'd be a little shaken. What for dog owners is 'he's just friendly and wants to say hello', for non-dog owners it can be a scary experience and although it's certainly useful to explain to people how to behave around dogs, it can't be expected. How a dog behaves is the owner's responsibility; and a cyclist being disturbed by a barking and chasing dog, is just not right. It's also not right to hurl abuse at the owner. I personally slow down significantly if I see a dog, so I can brake quickly if needed. They're often in their own world and don't necessarily care about what's going on around them. Bless 'em. <br>
  • Cyclists you mean? I quite agree!
  • From what I read stories seem to be changing.  This is not about Stella or Dorothy. It's about general etiquette.<div><br></div><div>If you have a dog that runs after joggers, cyclists...please keep them on a lead.  A cyclist or jogger doing it at respectful pace should not be chased after and there's no excuse if your dog intimidates but leaves no marks.  I'm quite a dog friendly person but not everyone is.  </div><div><br></div><div>If you're a lycra-clad cyclist who is on Parkland walk treating it like an olympic cycle track or a quick shortcut, please don't.  It's called Parkland walk walk walk for a reason.  If you chose to cycle on the walk walk please slow down and treat those walking walking with respect.</div>
  • You forgot the bit about not whacking people round the face!
  • @Dorothy.  Yes.  Very wrong.  And it's abusive and a criminal offence.<div><br></div><div>I was commenting more on the general dialogue.</div>
  • edited October 2013
    Calling someone a c**t because they don't stop at a red light or zebra crossing and getting off your bike and slapping someone because you were chased by a dog are completely different things. And further more you just don't hit women full stop. People going past red lights does have something to do with me, my tax helps pay for the irresponsible twats hospital treatment when they get hit, my friend's and myself when I worked on the ambulance had to spend time and resources on wankers who don't obay the traffic laws. So yes it does have something to do with me.
  • As a cyclist and a runner who has had dogs chase him, I still don't see the problem with having dogs off the leash, and support dog owners who want their pets to have a bit of freedom in public spaces - even those that have a tendency to run about.     <br><br>If any grown adult cannot discern between a monstrous hound with flaming jaws and blazing eyes, and an excited domestic animal on a run-about, they need to take a break from going out in public parks until they have overcome their fears and are fit to behave acceptably in public.    <br><br>Dogs are permitted on the parkland walk, and reading between the lines on Haringey's website, they do not need to be leashed (the parkland walk is larger than 1/2 hectare).  <br><br>I'd rather be on the side of a dog owner, raising a pet and exercising them in a public area (on or off the leash, as per the law), than a cyclist or runner, who is scared of dogs, yet consciously chooses to put themselves somewhere where dogs are likely to be (no matter how they behave).  That someone has the brass neck to freak out about a dog chasing them is ridiculous.  Just because they're scared does not make them right.<br><br>Shocked by the violence tbh.  <br> <br>
  • I also know the dogs concerned and no disrespect to them but we are not talking about some drooling snarling hell hound with teeth the size of a human arm. If you were of a mind you could drop kick them from the parkland walk to Hull.