Overcrowding at fp

edited February 2014 in Local discussion
I am sure it never used to be as bad as it is at the moment. Is it solely because of the train commuters using the entrances ?

Comments

• I agree. Completely grisly at the moment.
  • There were issues this morning on the Victoria line but yes, it's mainly due to the train passengers coming down the main entrance. I also suspect today may have been a bit busier than a normal Tuesday because of the likely tube strike tomorrow.<br>
  • I cycle to work, so only use the Tube occasionally. It has been getting progressively much worse for years, but is awful at the moment.<br><br>Five years ago if you went to the Victoria Line before 8am then the platform and tube would be relatively empty - 8.30 would be be busy but you never waited to get on a Tube. That is long gone.<br><br>I asked a station chap a while back and he said apparently, there are a lot more people using Finsbury Park. <br><br>A perfect storm it seems, more people arriving by bus, more coming in and switching from the train and loads more coming in from further out on the Piccadilly and switching on to the Victoria Line.<br><br>High house prices pushing people further out, apparently, combined with the relentless drag of the London economy.<br>
  • When the new Victoria Line trains came along with their extra capacity and ability to run closer together and therefore have more trains per hour it did seem to get a little quieter but I agree since Christmas is does seem to have been getting busier and busier, even at 9:30 the platform is still packed at times.<div>With all the new homes being built around the station it is only going to get worse.</div>
  • The new homes won't make that much of a difference, the bigge impact will be the 20,000 new homes in the Upper Lea Valley, many of which will get the Victoria line into town.<br><br>The new Vic line trains made a huge difference, I suspect more people are transferring from the Pic line as a result.  But the current crowding is nowhere near as bad yet at in 2010/11. But I can't see much relief from crowding until Thameslink services start!<br><br>For anyone who likes maps/data you should check out: http://casa.oobrien.com/tube/<br><br>Doesn't have 2013 figures but suggests a fairly high increase in demand from 2003 to 2012.<br><br>I'm trying to find a profile of demand at Finsbury Park, what was interesting is that FP has a very late (and long) peak compared to other comparable stations. It is also shows demand shoots through the roof at about 8am, get on the platform before then and it's noticeably quieter.<br>
  • Northnineteen how do you know all this?<span style="font-size: 10pt;"> Its so cool</span>
  • edited February 2014
    Despite being phenomenally busy, I can't believe they still allow the Metro newspaper rack at Wells Terrace entrance to be position adjacent to an Oyster scanner, allowing f*cktards to block the passengers from scanning in so they can reach over for their comic.<br><br>Also, the slight relocation of the Assistants booth at the bottom of the junction of the Wells Terrace / Seven Sisters junction is also just enough to cause that area to get bunged up slightly.    <br><br>The Station Manager needs a lesson in environmental engineering.<br>
  • I suppose they think that three scanners at Wells Terrace entrance/exit should stop the problem, but everyone seems to like to use the same one.
  • I was astonished to find out how often the trains run from Finsbury park to Moorgate now. Once every five minutes or so. Are those also rammed in the morning?<br>
  • They're not exactly quiet! But at FP a lot of people do get off them so it's generally fairly easy to get on them. They are horribly unreliable though and do take quite a long time to get to Moorgate. But definitely best route to the city from Finsbury Park - frequency will be increasing next year too (plus evening and weekend service).<br>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited February 2014
    Over the last few years I was wondering why every time I was in Finsbury Park tube around 7.30 am it was busy when five years ago it was a lot quieter.  Perhaps it's to do with Crossrail construction as a lot of the people on the train around that time are workmen.  Perhaps going to work for 8 am.  There's a bit of a dip around 7.45 am.
  • Interesting... I was getting the tube from Finsbury Park at peak rush hour this morning for the first time in quite a while (I do use it but almost never at that time of day) - I didn't get on till the third Victoria s/b train, and I'm sure there were people less pushy who waited longer. I was astonished - but it sounds as if this may have been an extreme case. But it is generally hellish. And that was with trains every minute or two. 
  • edited December 2017
  • @comfortable_kate Did you get on at the front the train? It's generally a lot easier to get on at the back (or sometimes middle) of the train.<br>
  • And everyone knows that the doors open in front of the roundels don't they? That's the place to manoeuvre yourself into if possible.
  • northnineteen: no, I was carefully positioned at the back to be ready for H & I exit and overground connection. Very grateful I was only on it for a single stop.Today I reclaimed the not yet fixed car from the garage and said I'd take it back on Saturday... 
  • Another reason why London sucks if you commute, the positioning and race for the door.  
  • I'm so glad I don't have to commute on public transport at the moment. The most annoying thing was the people that walked really slowly down to the platform and then pushed you in the back trying to get on the tube.
  • I had to go to the Angel on Tues morning,. Did manage to get on the train at Harringey with the encouragement of a lady behind yelling 'get on the train (which i was considering not doing as was so packed)'. Once we were squashed  on she looked  a tad embarrassed for yelling at me  and seemed quite relieved when i smiled and told her it was all to much excitement for me first thing in the morning. Very true its beyond me how people cope with it daily!
  • It's absolutely mental. People are essential treated like animals.
  • kate: the exit for H&I is at the front of the train? This end is always much busier in the morning - countless times I get on at the back while at the front end of the FP plattform they are queuing several deep.<br><br>My next tactic is try to time my arrival for a train that starts at Seven Sisiters as I've now got the full Victoria line timetable. They are about every third train and are noticeably quieter.<br>
  • I know it takes longer, but the bus is a much more pleasant and less stressful journey. The services from FP cover a huge area.
  • I work varying hours so luckily avoid the rush hour most days.  I usually cycle on those days unless tired or it's raining heavily.  I agree with Misscara you should allow more time if possible to go to work and often you find if there's a lot of people after a bit of a gap in service, if you wait a bit longer and let a few regular trains pass at minute intervals you get a seat or at least get some space on the train.
  • But if you are going to wait then please do so at the back of the platform. So annoying when people stand in the open doors even though there is room to get on.
  • Misscara I fear for both men's safety. There are some really unpleasant people around. I can't believe he assaulted you. What a w****r!
  • edited February 2014
    <font size="2">That is terrible Misscara ridiculous you have to handle people like that, some really need to get a grip!</font><div><font size="2"><br></font></div><div><font size="2">I had ran down the stairs  for the train had foot in mid air and slightly hesitated for a split second  to get yelled at by the person running behind,  why i put the yelling down to over excitement than aggression  and laughed it off on that occasion.</font></div><div style="font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div style="font-size: 10pt;"><font size="2">A friend who works for the underground used to reg say it appears most passengers leave their brains and manners at the gates.</font></div>