State of Stroud Green road nr post office

2»

Comments

• Breaks my heart to read that, Annie. Same goes with old furniture. They're the best, sturdy and beautiful, often need a little TLC and they're super decorative.<br>
  • edited February 2014
    Why people throw out old solid pieces of furniture and replace with soulless Scandikea crap is utterly beyond me. Still, one man's trash and all that, I've furnished my home with street finds - search the Bin Raid Olympics thread...http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/comment/45923#Comment_45923
  • I bought my upright from a charity shop - Stepping Out on SGR - some years ago. It's an antique, which in piano terms is generally not a good thing, and spent a fair bit on having some problems dealt with. It has a lovely mellow tone, though, and it's got some beautiful marquetry, so I forgive it its elderly foibles!<div><br></div>
  • Couldn't agree more, Annie. Although I've mixed some modern stuff with the old. Love my red desk on coasters, very practical and everyone who comes to visit loves it. Nice colourful eye catcher. If I had the space and my way, I'd have an old Chesterfield sofa. <br>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yes ... On the other hand the first of those links is posted by a piano dealer, who has a bit of a vested interest here! <span style="font-size: 10pt;">I still have a piano bought for £35 in a New Kent Rd junk shop in the mid 70s, Its chief problem is that it was left untuned for years, so it would take intensive work to get it back to concert pitch, but if you can live with playing half a tone lower it's otherwise fine for what it is. The sound is quite mellow, the pedals work, the keys don't stick or mute. Still doesn't make me practice, but the possibility is there. </span><div><br></div><div>But it's true if I could afford a new one I wouldn't be looking in junk or charity shops: any time I try one out it always sounds very dodgy. There are often pianos on freecycle, though, and my impression is they're often fine - just belong to people who can't fit them in or have lost interest.</div>
  • Old pianos can be recycled into some lovely and interesting creations very sad to see them abandoned for some reason.<div><br></div><div> I found a broken up one at the industrial estate in Tottenham pretty heartbreaking wish had got to it sooner ( well broken up with all other junk flung on it ), much to Mr T's annoyance insisted on digging what i could out which was only a bit of casing  and  keys :(</div>
  • I saw one made into a sort of bookcase/bureau and another where top part was a case to display a taxidermy fox.
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 10pt;">@miss annie, yes they make great storage and work stations, i seem to try turning everything into a crafty storage workstation, but really the possibilities are endless.</span></font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">Amazing things if type upcycled piano into google images...... be prepared to dribble!</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 13px;">https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=upcycled+piano&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ItUAU6T_McKjhgfq0YDYCQ&sqi=2&ved=0CCoQsAQ&biw=1343&bih=607</span></font></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">.<div><br></div><div>.  </div></div>
  • edited December 2017