Development of John Jones Site / Sketch House

Comments

• @dillysdad. In the grand scheme of things - of Finsbury Park, of development in London in general, and of the John Jones redevelopment in particular, this issue has in my view, been dealt with sensitively and appropriately by JJ. There's not even a net loss of London trees - 6 more will be replanted. What would you do?<div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • edited October 2013
    I don't mean to be harsh on Kate (it's more the council I blame), however, the 'but we're planting new trees' argument is too easy to dish out and as I've already said, the benefits created by new trees are nothing to those of old mature trees. So yes, of course there is a net loss. And the 'not fit for purpose' attitude is shocking. Who says that trees that have been here for longer than any of us have been or will be are not fit for purpose? Whose purpose? The long term health benefits of the community? The habitat of wildlife? Or a building development? It's become too easy to cut down trees. Even those with TPO's. Of course people are going to apply to have trees cut down when they are in the way of an individuals personal development but councils are there to uphold TPO's. Where does it stop? A tree was cut down behind us. It was a beautiful tree full of wildlife. Haringey 'officials' sated that there was no wildlife in the tree and that the tree was causing subsidence. The subsidence still hasn't been proven and I have photos of the birds and squirrels that lived in the tree. So, forgive my scepticism. But generally, a bit more respect is needed for nature. Or at least more respect than for profit.
  • In this instance I agree with the removal of the trees, they should never have been planted there in the first place. Their roots were breaking the pavement and making it very difficult for people with pushchairs/prams/wheely suitcases/walking impairments to move along the pavement.<div><br></div><div>As for the general ease with which trees are removed I would agree that it does appear to be too easy.</div><div>In the case of interference with new buildings, some friends of mine in Grantham were told by Building Control to dig 6 foot foundations for a single storey extension because of roots from a conifer hedge.</div><div>Removing trees to fix subsidence isn't much of a fix, in the short-term as the roots dry up it will dramatically worsen any effect on nearby buildings.</div>
  • A rather charming interview with Jez Bond from the Park Theatre about the John Jones project:<div><br></div><div><a href="">
  • The scaffolding is coming down. Impressed by the attention to detail. Can't post images from my phone, but there's a few photos here: http://m.flickr.com/photos/67014684@N05/
  • When's the rest of this going up?
  • Well I imagine fit-out will take several more months, then they will have to move all their facilities currently in the low-rise buildings into the new building.  Then demolish those original buildings, do the foundation and then it may start going up.  So not until 2015 at the earliest I would have though... The aim appears to get the UAL students in for the 2016/17 term.<br>
  • I must also add, I think the new buildings looks fantastic. Must better than I thought (I had quite high hopes) and a lot better than the renders.<br>
  • Pity that old cinema was knocked known tho - ironic given the site is now supposed to be arty! Chang
  • The foundations and ground floor of part of the first student block (next to Godfrey's) have already been completed. From memory it will contain various utilities so maybe they needed to start it relatively early.
  • PLEASE NOTE - the old cinema/ sainsburys site is NOTHING to do with John Jones....
  • It is owned by someone entirely separate!!
  • This looks great.  Such an amazing addition to Finsbury Park.<br>
  • Great to see the scaffolding off, I think the buildings looks great though I'm not 100% sure on the dark glass - makes it a little foreboding.<div><br></div><div>Any news who's going to be taking the ground floor units?</div>
  • Can Kate Jones confirm what's happening with the balcony space at the top? It would make the most awesome bar with views of London. Guessing not though......
  • It might make a moderately good bar w/view, but would it really be the *most* awesome one? Compared to eg the Tate's? 'Awesome' is already hyperbolic, if it starts needing to be further amped up on every outing then this is going to get ridiculous. 
  • Quite. Not keen on awesome generally, it's a bit too slacker for my liking. I don't like 'insanely' this that or the other either. The bar on the 5th floor of big Waterstones in Piccadilly has a splendid view towards the river and the Palace of Westminster
  • Americans use the words awesome and phenomenal all the time.
  • <div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Invasion of the Britishisms:</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/11/fashion/americans-are-barmy-over-britishisms.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0</font>;
  • After initially being very sceptical about its look, I quite like the new John Jones building from the front it has a good feel to it. <br><br>A bit austere and brooding, but not overwhelmingly so and looks like the kind of building that won't age horrendously quickly, which is more than can be said of most of the dross built around London nowadays.<br><br>Please tell me something is going to happen with the back though.<br>
  • You mean the low-rise industrial/warehouse units? If so, the plan is to move the operations from there into the new building so these low-rise units can be demolished and replaced with the student housing/flats.  These will be a similar height to the main JJ building and will fully wrap around the Sainsburys/flat.  The only building left on the site will be the Godfrey unit which is not part of the development.<br>
  • <p>I am glad some of you like it - we're really pleased with it. The plan was for it to be quite classic and timeless so it won't age. We spent some time looking at warehouses in Clerkenwell and NYC and took the best bits. The glass is quite dark as it filters light and protects the artwork we have inside. We'll have signage going up in the windows in the next couple of weeks, plus we're hoping the council will grant change of use so we can get the bakery/ cafe open on the stroud green corner and eventually get a pavement license for the summer months too.</p><p>We have our Project Space opening on the ground floor at the end of April, showing work from a young artist who produces 2D, sculpture, sound and performance work. I'll post an update with details asap.</p><p>The top two floors will unfortunately be rented out, probably as B1. we're hoping to find a creative partner to take them on - ideally an artist/ photography, maybe architects. the building is called The Arts Building so it would be nice to keep a creative feel to it.</p><p>Construction will be starting on our old warehouses in the next few weeks, building accomodation for University of the Arts students. </p>
  • Thanks for the update Kate, and fingers crossed the bakery can open soon!<br>
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">I came across this article a while back which suggests that Godfrey's have long term aspirations to open a shop in Finsbury Park. I assume as part of a redevelopment of their existing building.</font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">Also explains what the Bull is all about - still baffled by the Gazebo though!</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">http://islingtonfacesblog.com/tag/finsbury-park-butcher/</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div>
  • <P>@ Kate Jones. Thanks for the update. If you don't rent it, give me a shout and i'll turn it into a roof top bar and mini-golf course.</P> <P>@ADGS. Name me one bar with south facing views of London that you can walk to in 10 mins from your house. Doesn't include places on a hill which are not roof top bars. Awesome might be an overused and inappropriately used word, but its my word of choice today. Enjoy.</P>
  • Do we really need another butcher. There are at least 4 between the station and Tollington park
  • <P>Just on the Godfreys building (not involved with the development). Could this be some shrewd business from the owners? By holding out.....they get the benefit of regular london property value appreciation, the value of being in a regenerated patch of land, which in turn makes it more appealing to someone looking to acquire the land with bigger pockets. I'm guessing they'll sell at some point, but not until they get maximum value.</P> <P> </P>
  • Be nice to have a butcher that doesn't have serious food hygine issues though? And one that sells pork?<br>