Asian Food Shops - to buy ingredients

edited February 2014 in Local discussion
HI <div>I was wondering if there was an asain food shop in/near finsbury park. I am looking for ingredients rather than ready made food. I used to go to the Japan Center in Piccadilly but I thought there might be something closer</div><div><br></div><div>Katrina </div>

Comments

• Fuji foods up towards muswell hill. If by Asian you mean Japanese rather than Indian
  • edited February 2014
    There's a wonderful Chinese shop on Seven Sisters Road. (Near Hornsey Road). Love that place and buy my stir fry stuff there. They have great variety, are reasonably priced (Tofu is much cheaper than in supermarkets), and are super friendly. Need to pay in cash though.<br>
  • There's a massive Asian supermarket in Walthamstow. Mostly sells Chinese food, but also Japanese and Thai. Not FP, but closer than Piccadilly.
  • There's a small Thai supermarket in Camden, near Mornington Crescent; and there also a relatively new Asian food shop on Green Lanes. Can't remember the name/address, helpfully!
  • Stella's right. Hua Run on Hornsey/Seven Sisters corner is good.
  • edited February 2014
    3rd Stella's and Mirandola's rec for Hua Run. There is also a chinese suprmarket on Holloway Road, between the tube station and Highbury and Islington.
  • edited February 2014
    Thank you, Vetski, Stella, Mrandola, Dion, Idoru and TheMimsy for this information.  I love cooking but have been a little bit lazy (sticking to the same recipes) over the last few years but want to experiment again and this information will help me so much. Thanks.
  • edited February 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'll fourth the Hua Run on Seven Sisters by the Hornsey Road Eaglet crossroads. <br><br>Great place to get pancakes and some hoi sin, head to Morrisons for some duck legs, and then you can eat duck and pancakes to your heart's content at a fraction of takeway Chinese prices.<br>
  • I'll be visiting Hua Run today as I'm planning a Japanese Stir fry with tofu, spring onions, carrots, home made teriyake-similar sauce and all with wheat sticks. Oh and roasted sesame seeds, of course. Delicious!<br>
  • How much is Tofu in that shop Stella? Its around £2.00 in Tesco and sainsbury. I still havent managed to prevent the Tofu disintegrating in the pan yet despite all efforts of hours of squeezing it dry and frying it first
  • I think it may be around the same, can't remember. Will update later, when I'm back. Morrison's is definitely more. I'm using firm tofu. It's not holding up the form as well, but it's all right. <br>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • A friend who's lived in Asia a lot told me ages ago that there are about 50 different types of tofu. They're not all easily available over here though. Silken tofu is the kind that's cut into small cubes and added to soups, but that's as far as my tofu knowledge goes!
  • The instructions say wrap in cling film and place between 2 chopping boards and place heavy object on chopping board. I did that and left it for 3 hours. I then stir fried it before placing it in my Thai curry. It still turned into mush! I didnt realise that there were so many. It would be great if someone could point me in the direction of the firm variety
  • Back from the shop. So, the organic firm tofu costs 1.80. I think it's about 500g. The non-organic (same size) is 1.60. I also got some dried noddles and dried Shitake Mushrooms (love those). I paid 4.60 for the lot. I think the noodles were 99p.<br><br>As for preparing the tofu: I don't fuss too much and just wrap it in kitchen paper, and squeeze it gently a few times; when the worst of the fluid it out, I dab it repeatedly. Time: roughly about 3 minutes. Then cut into cubes and throw it into the stir fry at the end. It's not exactly staying like that, but it's also not disintegrating. One just has to be careful when stirring the stir fry. :-) <br>
  • To be more precise the chinese supermarket on Holloway Road is just up the road from the Libary  at the cycle crossing a few doors up from the cycle shop, quite conveninet if your cycling
  • Never been to that Chinese supermarket and what bike shop are you talking about? Cycle Surgery?<br>
  • I am not at home to tofu. I see no point to food that tastes of nothing.
  • Tofu can be very nice if cooked well. Important source of protein for us non eaters
  • Holland & Barrett do a pre-marinated/pre-cooked tofu that doesn't fall apart. You can probably get the same thing in the Haelan Centre in Crouch End. I think flash frying before you cooking will 'seal' it so that it keeps its consistency. Personally I'm not so keen on tofu and prefer to use Quorn, paneer or halloumi instead. 
  • All halloumi is vegetarian, as is paneer. 
  • I love my meat, but tofu is a great alternative, just for something different every now and again. It generally takes on the tastes of the sauce it's cooked in, or one can marinade it a few hours before cooking.<br>
  • Misscara why are you weird if you are vegetarian?
  • I would be interested to know.