Deli at 80

Comments

• I know I said non Christian
  • BTW Annie I am just passing chadwell heath on the train. Am waving at mummy Annie as I go past. She may me in starburger for her tea.
  • Oh sorry, didn't read it properly. I'm sure mummy Vera will be waving back!
  • For some reason I always thought it was Christian thats why I never went in. I might have to have a look soon. Sounds really interesting. The Essex part of the east end is in for a big change when cross rail will be built. I love the people here. Kind and a great sense of humour.
  • You're not alone, @Sutent - for a long time I thought it was a Christian bookshop as well!
  • edited March 2014
    I agree with Mirandola on another thread, Chang's voice has changed. Whoever he/she is at present seems to have ripened and matured. Much like one of Bridget's cheeses at Deli at 80, in fact. On the subject of cheeses, the Deli's are wonderful. It saves a considerable schlepp down to that posh Fromagerie in Highbury, and the prices look fair too. Only problem is there should be many more of them. Bridget?
  • It must be spending all that time in da Christian bookshop. And the OU of course. Maybe I shud get back to N6. Chang
  • Does anyone know if it's open on Sundays?
  • great place - got an absolutely banging loaf from there yesterday and everyone in there was lovely, friendly and helpful.  cheese looked great as well.<div><br></div><div>they also have house red & white wine on tap so that you can bring a bottle and top it up for £cheap which will definitely be getting a lot of use from me.</div><div><br></div><div>BRING ON THE BOUJ</div>
  • How much was the wine!?<br>
  • N19 is there any way of telling how much money is being spent on SGR as compared to previous years? <div>Are houses prices/rents or the number of new business a good surrogate for economic prosperity in the high street?</div>
  • The council I used to work for do regular town centre surveys which looked at a whole host of things includings the different uses (categories of shops) plus use classes, number of vacant units, split between independent/chains, footfall, something to do with rents (not sure what).<br><br>I was always approaching it from the planning/transport perspective but I think there was some kind of proxy to convert shop rents.<br><br>Mosaic data was used to help categorise the local area (http://www.experian.co.uk/marketing-services/products/mosaic-uk.html) which is used by lots of retail companies to understand local population and buying habits.  It's fascinating if you haven't seen it before, there is a free iphone app too which is amazing.<br><br>I don't think house prices/rents are generally used in this kind of anaylsis and I also don't think you can tell how much is being spent apart from through more qualitative surveys which are undertaken.<br><br>The difficulty with Stroud Green is that it is actually part of Finsbury Park town centre which is then split between Hackney, Islington and Haringey so difficult to get a feel for how it's is functioning.<br>
  • edited March 2014
    That is very interesting information
  • That is such cool information
  • edited March 2014
    The heart-shaped cheese is delicious.
  • Seconded. Just had some to accompany celeriac soup. Scrumptious. (coeur de neufchatel if anyone needs to know the real name)
  • Thirded. Significantly cheaper than the same cheese costs at La Fromagerie as well, if I'm not mistaken. I look forward to trying the raclette tonight.
  • Cheeses are - and should be - good, because the chap in charge of them at the Deli previously worked at La Fromagerie. Also cheaper than there, and wonderfully less snooty.
  • Cheese sounds good.<br><br>Does it sell meat?<br>
  • Fresh toulouse and merguez sausages, french salamis and cooked ham. Can't remember seeing anything else meaty but that's no guarantee that there isn't more.
  • They have a big fat sausage called 'baby Jesus'... because it looks like the baby Jesus. I didn't try it but I expect it tastes divine. Boom-tish
  • edited March 2014
    Do any of the new deli places do things made in England? Scotch eggs, or chorizo from English pork and that sort of thing. I'm been trying a few thing from Fortnum & Mason's extensive range of Made in England (well, mostly Highgrove), and it would be nice to see some home produced things in a local deli. <div><br></div><div> F&M do the yellow sticker bargains at the end of the day, just like Tesco!</div>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • That sounds extremely promising. I will definitely be visiting.<div><br></div><div>I'd like sausage rolls. These are still a glaring omission from the buying opportunities on Stroud Green Road.</div><div><br></div><div>What actually is pease pudding?</div><div><br></div>
  • edited March 2014
    Yes, sausage rolls! The Old Dairy used to do excellent home made sausage rolls when lovely Adam was still there. Had pease pudding when I was little and never again since, but they sell it in Waitrose.
  • oh yes, please sausage rolls. I get the impression that they might be open to suggestions - I know that they source directly from France, but I might ask about some English cheeses as well.
  • Your pease pudding looks a bit northern for my tastes Misscara.<br><br>Black pudding and game pie sounds good though.<br><br>Tony's does a decent black pudding.<br>
  • Stornaway black pudding is the  best !