Consultation re: Free School on old Ashmount site

13»

Comments

• Should keep it to comprehensives, technical and grammar schools.  This is madness. <div><br></div><div>You're not sure if you're into learning a skill or into academia, go to a comprehensive.</div><div><br></div><div>You want to learn a skill, technical school</div><div><br></div><div>You're academically brilliant, you go to a grammar school as I did.</div><div><br></div><div>So much meddling from government and over-eager parents who can't rank their kids in a proper way and insist on them being brilliant.</div>
  • Do they have a mandate to run their own consultation? Surely this can't be anything more than advisory. Consultations have to be done properly.
  • When someone, in this case a company, wants to propose a Free School, they have to make an application to the DfE. If it gets past the first stage, then they get a government grant of 200, 000 pounds to help them with the costs of the next stage. Apart from various technical issues which require the proposers to get professional advice they are also required to run a consultation. It is called the "statutory consultation" It is indeed the proposers who run the consultation, as to whether the school they are proposing should go ahead. That is the legal position.<div><br></div><div>I am sure of this because I have been in correspondence with the DfE about it who confirmed this was the position.</div>
  • edited January 2014
    <br><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • A press release from Islington Council has just been issued:-<div><br></div><div>"From: "Chris Roe" <newsflash@islington.newsflashconnect.com></div><div>Date: 30 January 2014 10:19:26 GMT</div><div>Cc: Chris.Roe@islington.gov.uk</div><div>Subject: New housing proposal for former Ashmount School site - Islington Council News Release</div><div>Reply-To: Chris.Roe@islington.gov.uk</div><div><br></div><div>Islington Council   PR 5191    30/01/2014    [For Immediate Release]</div><div><br></div><div>New housing proposal for former Ashmount School site</div><div><br></div><div>Badly-needed affordable housing would be built on the site of the former Ashmount School under a new proposal from Islington Council.</div><div><br></div><div>The site in Archway, N19, closed in December 2012 when pupils moved to a modern school on a new site at nearby Crouch Hill Park.</div><div><br></div><div>Islington Council wants to use the land, no longer needed by the council for educational purposes, to build much-needed affordable homes.</div><div><br></div><div>But the Secretary of State for Education has told the council he proposes to establish a new free primary school, Whitehall Park School, at the site.</div><div><br></div><div>The council argues the free primary school is not needed as there is already plenty of good provision for local Islington children, so the free school is poor value for money for the taxpayer.  Also the land is badly needed for local homes.</div><div><br></div><div>Now a report to the council's Executive proposes that half of the site is used for the new free school, and half to provide affordable homes.</div><div><br></div><div>The report also sets out a proposal to establish the Bridge Integrated Learning Space, a mixed special school for pupils aged 7-19, in a new building at the council's Dowrey Street site.  The new building would also house the New River College Primary PRU.</div><div><br></div><div>Cllr Joe Caluori, Islington Council's executive member for children and families, said: "We are still firmly opposed to a free school on the old Ashmount site. </div><div><br></div><div>"We have shown we have plenty of planned primary school places in our schools, and that parents can already expect a first-rate education in Islington for their children.</div><div><br></div><div>"However, the Department for Education seem determined to proceed with a free school which is not needed, and it's our responsibility to make sure families in the borough get the maximum benefit from the site.</div><div><br></div><div>"That's why we are bringing a report to our Executive that sets out a plan for the future of the old Ashmount site, and also the Bridge Integrated Learning Space and our Pupil Referral Unit at Dowrey Street.</div><div><br></div><div>"Essentially we are proposing to split the Ashmount site in half, with half the site retained for approximately 50 affordable homes. </div><div><br></div><div>"This split would provide the free school with enough outside space to meet national guidance and would be comparable to other similar-sized schools in the borough, while also allowing us to build badly-needed affordable family homes.</div><div><br></div><div>"This whole process has been chaotic and opaque so we have decided to set out a clear position. The ball is now in the DfE's court."</div><div><br></div><div>The report will be considered by Islington Council's Executive on Thursday, February 6.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>ENDS</div><div><br></div><div>For further information please contact: </div><div>Chris Roe, Senior Media Officer</div><div>Tel: 020 7527 8751</div><div>Mob/out of hours: 07769 163303</div><div>Email: chris.roe@islington.gov.uk</div><div>Follow us on Twitter @IslingtonBC and @IslingtonLife<;/div><div><br></div><div>[#RL-5191:635266739666881250#]"</div><div><br></div>
  • There have been a couple of interesting developments:-<div><br></div><div>Regarding the future of the old Ashmount site. The minister informd Islington a number of weeks ago that he was "minded" to take the site, but here is the twist, divide it in two. One part to be used for the new Whitehall Park School and the other part to be used for the other Free School being proposed in Islington. This second proposal, which has Islington Council's support is for a dedicated special needs school the " <span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); line-height: 16px; "><b>Bridge Integrated Learning Space Free School" which will cater for children with what are called "low incidence special needs" Profound and distressing disabilities, some times associated with severe behavioural difficulties, which simply cannot be catered for in mainstream education. However with the right resources great results can be achieved. This school will be an extension of the work of the already existing Bridge Special School, and will cater for children who currently have to be sent out of borough at great expense. All in all a really good idea. Islington are keen on it, and so, I understand are the DfE. Under current legislation Islington are not allowed to set it up, it has to be a Free School, and although Islington support the idea, the proposal has been developed independently of Islington by the teachers at the existing Bridge School. </b></span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); line-height: 16px; "><b><br></b></span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); line-height: 16px; "><b>However Islington already have a site ear marked for the Bridge Free School. Its at a place called Dowry street in central Islington, therefore easier for Islington parents to get to, which really matters with these children and the new facility would be co located with the Pupil Referral Unit already there, and which is looking forward to working with the new Free School.</b></span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); line-height: 16px; "><b><br></b></span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); line-height: 16px; "><b>So Islington have responded to the Government proposal with a counter proposal, that while they still do not see a need for the new Whitehall Park School, on the well known "half a loaf" principle they will agree to the hand over if they get half the site for housing, with the bridge school being provided with the other premises by Islington. And so things rest. Of course my old friends and admirers (ASAG) whose actions have always been motivated by fear and loathing of social housing have gone ballistic. They are talking about taking legal  action again. Against whom not clear, but at any rate, this time, it will not be me.</b></span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); line-height: 16px; "><b><br></b></span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); line-height: 16px; "><b>The second development concerns the applications for the Whitehall Park School. There are not very many, of which more perhaps, later.</b></span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); line-height: 16px; "><b><br></b></span></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" color="#444444" face="arial, sans-serif"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="line-height: 16px;"><b>(For some reason my typeface has gone all assertive looking. I have no idea how this has happened. Could it be to do with a certain black beer I am currently drinking?)</b></span></font></div>
  • Hi Dave, Could you explain why you think ASAG are motivated by an antipathy for social housing?
  • Hi Mirandola,<div><br></div><div>Do you mean to ask what evidence I have that ASAG are motivated by an antipathy to social housing</div><div><br></div><div>OR </div><div><br></div><div>Do you mean to ask why they have an antipathy to social housing?</div>
  • Not related to the free school discussion... But am I imagining that I read recently that the old Ashmount site is shortly to be used as a film location?
  • Yes, it is being used as a location.<div><br></div><div>The film is being called "absolutely anything" Terry Jones directing; Simon Pegg is in it. As a local resident I got a letter about it.</div>
  • edited March 2014
    Hi David. Both, but mostly the former.
  • The former goes back years to the very first meeting  they held, which I was at. (I went to one meeting after that, at which when I attempted to put a different view to the "steering groups" view I was barracked, and they tried to shout me down. Which failed, as I actually have some past experience of rowdy meetings, so I was then informed that I would not be welcome at any further meetings. A point I mention as they subsequently sought to make a debating point about me not attending their meetings) <div><br><div>Their original tactic was to seek to prevent Ashmount School from moving, as they preferred to have a school playground at the bottom of their garden to any other alternative; and it was at their meetings that the opposition to social housing in particular  was made plain. basically they did not want a "Council estate" at the bottom of their garden. If you actually want documentary evidence there are some documents on the Whitehall Park residents association website where the opposition is made explicit.</div></div>
  • As to why they oppose council housing, its because they reckon it will not so much lower, as restrain the growth in their house prices. Given the amount of council housing already in the area, I cannot see that myself.
  • edited May 2014
    @David Are you able to shed any lights on the reports regarding school places in Islington this year. <br><br>I think I heard that Ashmount ended up with a 200 metre catchment area (I may be wrong and it was less than 400 metres).<br><br><a href="http://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/news/islington_parents_in_dismay_over_primary_places_told_to_wait_for_drop_outs_1_3578701">This report from the Gazette</a> also highlights that a quarter of children didn't get their first choice and 144 didn't get any of their top six. <br><br>It also says that Islington has the third lowest number of kids getting their first choice in London.<br><br>The bit further down where the councillor says that once all was done and dusted last year only 5 out of 2,000 ended up without a top six choice, sounds better - but still six is a lot of schools to be putting down and then not getting at the first instance for 144 parents, for whom this must be an intensely stressful experience.<br><br>I've heard that the situation around here - both in Islington and Haringey is particularly bad at the moment. <br><br>Is this true?<br>
  • I dont have the information on the admission radius for Ashmount yet. 200 metres would be very small, especially as a significant part of such a small circle would be Crouch Hill Park and the Parkland Walk. There would have to be huge numbers of siblings, which is not the feeling I have this year. But I wont go further on that, but wait until I get the figure.<div><br><div> Coleridge's radius shrank by about 7 metres this year, so only very slightly smaller than last. Given that there was no "bulge class of 30" at Weston Park this year, (Weston Park took in 60 last year but only 30 this) that means that Coleridge's radius went down very slightly in the context of a reduction is supply in Crouch End of 30. So while that would suggest things a bit tighter in Crouch End this year than last, it would also suggest that the numbers of applicants in Crouch End have indeed fallen for four years running.</div><div><br></div><div>Regarding the Gazette Article, its not worded as exactly as it could be. Its true that 25 per cent did not get their first preference in the first round of offers, but the next figure 144, represents people who did not get an offer for any of their preferences, however many that was. Not everyone puts down six preferences by any means. Some only put down two or three, which is understandable in quite a lot of cases.</div><div><br></div><div>What the article then explains is that by the end of the process all but five children got offered a place at one of their original preferences. Those five were then "allocated" to schools for which they had not originally applied.  I happen to know they all lived in South Islington. Islington admissions say that the situation is actually similar this year to last, both as to people without offers for a preference on offer day and with regards to the numbers of places overall available.</div><div><br></div><div>So Islington the same as last year.</div><div><br></div><div>Regarding Haringey, my impression is that Crouch End is slightly tighter due to the reduction of 30 in the supply of places. There does seem to be a bigger problem in Muswell Hill than last year.</div><div><br></div><div><a href="http://www.hamhighbroadway.co.uk/news/haringey_admissions_children_failed_to_win_reception_place_at_primary_school_of_their_choice_1_3562600">report from Haringey Gazette</a></div><div><br></div><div><a href="http://www.hamhighbroadway.co.uk/news/haringey_admissions_children_failed_to_win_reception_place_at_primary_school_of_their_choice_1_3562600"></a><br><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div></div></div>
  • Actually its the Ham and High Broadway, but the (misnamed) hyperlink works anyway.
  • I believe that Ashmount was 0.27 miles (so around 400 metres). As I understand it that's before appeals and waiting lists and what have you. I think it's a bit complicated because of the number of siblings who would not otherwise have been in area due to the site move.
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">It seems like the Coalition Government may be spending £10M on a free school which apparently is not needed</font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">http://www.islingtontribune.com/news/2014/may/bill-archway-‘free’-school-set-top-£10m&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div></div>
  • @Jonathan I am spurred on to see if I can get the confirmed figure from Islington admissions. You are right that the figure that is given is the furthest straightline distance from the measuring point of the last child to be admitted on DISTANCE in the FIRST round of offers.  So this year at Ashmount siblings were all offered, then the remaining vacent places, up to the total of 60 were offered on the basis of distance. This was all done on offer day.<div><br></div><div>Anyone who had applied for Ashmount with one of their (up to six preferences) and who either got an offer for a lower preference, or did not get an offer for a preference at all, goes on the waiting list. The waiting list is ranked in exactly the same way as the offers were originally made.</div><div><br></div><div>Added to the waiting lists in the appropriate place are also any late applicants - people who for whatever reason applied after 15 January 2014.</div><div><br></div><div>As people decline offers of places (which they do because their circumstances have changed since they applied back in January) this places are re offered down the waiting list. In fact it goes on all summer; you will over the next weeks get people relinguishing offers they have accepted in good faith because their circumstances have changed (a move out of London?)<br><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>
  • There is a relevant blog posting here:<div><br></div><div><br></div><div><a href="http://www.localschoolsnetwork.org.uk/2014/05/all-politics-is-local-the-strange-case-of-whitehall-park-school-the-liberal-democrats-and-the-voters-of-hillrise-ward-islington/">Whitehall Park School and the Local elections</a><br><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>(Full disclosure, I wrote it.)</div><div><br></div><div>Why not drop along and comment?</div><div><br></div></div>