An "Ignore/Hide This User's Comments" option possible?

Comments

• <P>There is a massive assumption here that regular contributors are making fantastic observations and providing interesting commentary. It happens occasionally, but on the whole it does not. Trolls might annoy regular contributors and participants, but in my eyes they offer a bit of welcome sport amongst a lot of guff. Feed a troll and have a bit more fun. </P> <P>@Andy. are you able to provide any user stats for the website. Like percentage of registered users active within 2 months or maybe percentage of active users making contributions?  </P>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • *Everything* I post is erudite, amusing, entertaining and informative.
  • @Idoru True dat (youth slang picked up at work).
  • I feel it has improved, but like you I have been going there less regularly so that may have helped improve my perception.  The queues are definitely as long!<br>
  • <P>@Misscara. Its a distinct possibility, but i'm not that driven to do so. I find the lack of tolerance on the site rather annoying. Its easy to draw attention to people who perhaps stoke up a few threads with some daft comments, but the general dullard guff or over-the-top outrage is apparently acceptable. I could contribute about it but i'd rather be tolerant and let them get on with it (as is polite). Its just this thread that has provoked a comment from me. Debates tend to be reasonably well managed between individuals, but there isn't very much ackowledgement that people could justifiably hold a different viewpoint. What's worse....someone pretending to be someone saying daft stuff, or someone effectively shouting that someone else is wrong and that thats all there is to it. I prefer the fake person. You're not the shouting person by the way, even if you don't like the Haberdashery or Christmas :-)</P>
  • edited April 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • No doubt. continuing on Miss Annie's slang theme.
  • @brodiej<;div>key facts about last month from the management dashboard:</div><div> - 115,000 page views</div><div> - 1532 comments</div><div> - 77 active discussions</div><div> - 10 users accounted for about half of the comments</div><div> - it's not as funny as it used to be</div><div><br></div><div>In my view, part of the reason is the lack of new contributors, so it's become a quite small clique of people active on the site, with all the entrenched relationships and retreads of opinions that implies. This is because it is deliberately complex to sign up these days. but it may be worth looking to see what plugins there are to manage that.</div><div><br></div><div>But this is a useful discussion.</div>
  • Is there potential to make it slightly less complex and then whether there is an influx of bots again?<div><br></div><div>Interesting that "<span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 18.19999885559082px; font-size: 10pt;">10 users accounted for about half of the comments"</span></div>
  • I have been on this site for years bit have only , but only recently have started contributing. This is probably because I spend more time behind a computer nowadays and have time to follow threads as they develop rather than catching them a few times a week. I am not articulate as others and my posts often get lost due to that deficiency. I have learnt loads on here about subjects that I had no idea about which is great, so I would never want any censoring of any posts. I spend loads of time abroad now, which has its plus sides but I get home sick and the site helps me with that. Am now sitting in my hotel bar in Vienna in tropical weather reflecting on a busy day where I had to present and justify my work to loads of people ready to tear it apart. I met Jens Overgarrd today who is the godfather of radiation oncology from Denmark Probably won't mean anything to anyone on here but was the highlight of my career. I agree with misscara that you can form judgements, impressions of people from their posts in here which is not in concordance with what they are like in real life.
  • Sutent, I'm super happy for you. Enjoy this feeling. Hey, and have some Kaiserschmarrn while you're in Vienna. ;-)<br>
  • Good man. Then you just need to drink an Obstler and Amarillen Likoer. (You'll love the latter.) There's a cafe in Vienna, Marie's? Can't remember. It's been a long time, but I went there quite a few times back then, when I had an overnight.<br>
  • @Stella any idea where the nearest place is to N4 that serves Kaiserschmarrn? Anywhere in North London? London at all?
  • Jonathan: not a clue. I only know the Bavarian Beer house in Old Street, but don't know if they serve it there. Next would be St. Moritz Restaurant in Wardour St. but I don't think they serve it there either.<br>Best to look up a recipe and do it yourself, really. Torn pancakes can't be that difficult. ;-)<br><br>Oh, and Sutent, you may want to try Krampfen. Man, childhood memories ... I was 'forced' to do ski holidays for the first years of my life. We always went to the same place in Austria. <br><br><br>
  • @Stella - thanks anyway - thought it was worth asking just in case ...
  • Thanks for the tips. No pigeons but been inside buildings for most of the time. Will.keep am eye out
  • @Jonathan: try <a href="http://www.kipferl.co.uk/menu/">Kipferl</a> in Camden Passage. Have not tried them myself but know it's there.
  • Brilliant - it's on their menu! Happy days are here.
  • No problem. I don't specifically go on the hunt for German or Austrian food, so I don't really know.<br>The only place I'm really missing re Bremen is my favourite Greek restaurant. Oh, that Olympia plate is amazing. <br>Giros, Souvlaki, red rice, gorgeous tzaziki, side salad, the lot. I have not found a place that does it here. Greek, yes, but it's more Cyprus-like. Whenever I go back to Bremen, I beg the restaurant owner to come and open a place here. <br>Can anyone point me in the direction of a Greek restaurant that does the above stuff?<br>
  • I like the way posts are rambling, there's often contentious points put across, bickering and a good bit of banter sprinkled with humour.  I think it's best The MODerator steps in, has a quiet word or takes down comments that are bullying, deflamatory.....
  • <div style="text-align: justify;"><span style="font-size: 10pt;">I like the way posts  ramble too. Conversations in real life don't stick to one point. They meander and go off at tangents and completely change and sometimes circle back to the original point. I like it when conversations online do the same. </span></div>
  • @Stella, Andy's or Daphne, both in Camden. Daphne's was closed for refurb a few weeks ago, not sure when they are opening again. Both been there years, not gourmet, but well loved.
  • Thank you, miss annie. That'll be my birthday meal sorted then. :-) My friend will be here and I always drag her to my favourite restaurant in Bremen, but would be nice if we could do the Greek meal here, too. <br>
  • I just wanted to say to Sutent that I enjoy reading your posts and have never thought of them as especially inarticulate.