Rub - Slow Food & Milk Bar

Comments

• Rub update: My partner and I ate there the other.  We agree that the food isn't great and the decor is odd.  They're trying for that Breakfast Club vibe but it just looks a bit tatty.  Milkshake was great but we didn't really like any of the food. If they got someone in who really knows how to cook slow meat, freshened up the decor (I would suggest framing the posters for a start) and perhaps put up a large sign giving a step-by-step explanation of how the 'concept' works then they'd be on the right track. They could do with serving proper rice and peas, instead of the over spiced and salty rice they currently serve.  The idea is a nice one and the staff are lovely but I can't see a bright future for them if they don't sort out the fundamentals!
  • I saw in the window earlier today that Rub are starting weekend brunches, from 11am on Saturday and Sunday. <br>
  • Hello! Quick Rub update - our period of prohibition is nearly over! Woohoo! I'll keep you posted! But until then join us for brunch this weekend and come in and check out our new October menu next week! Cheers, Elly
  • Rub will be have an alcohol license from tomorrow!<br>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hi, Yes under our licence you do have to order food to have a drink. Hope to see you soon! Elly
  • edited April 2014
    <P><A href="http://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/features/living-travel/2014/04/glamour-edit-best-burgers-in-london#!image-number=9">http://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/features/living-travel/2014/04/glamour-edit-best-burgers-in-london#!image-number=9</A></P>; <P>Restaurant/Bar: Rub Diner & Milk Bar<BR><SPAN class=HTML_TXT>Where: Finsbury Park, North London</SPAN><BR><SPAN class=HTML_TXT>The burgers were…Incredible. The brioche buns were the perfect accompaniment for the stacked-up burger towers, from classic beef, through pulled pork, to our choice, the sweet potato and halloumi burger. They’re just too big to bite into without something falling out the back, as all good burgers should be.<BR></SPAN><SPAN class=HTML_TXT>Eat with: This is where the fun starts. From deep-fried pickles to crisped-to-perfection oven-baked mac & cheese, Rub Diner is all about indulging in naughty-but-oh-so-nice treats. The jerk shredded chicken was delicious, too.</SPAN><BR><SPAN class=HTML_TXT>The crowd: Hip, young meat lovers.</SPAN><BR><SPAN class=HTML_TXT>You should also know… There’s a big refurb in the works, with a new bar being installed that will serve bar snacks alongside your milkshakes or rum punch. Oh, and save room for dessert; the chocolate peanut butter sundae is as good as it sounds.</SPAN><BR></P> <P> </P> <P> </P> <P>Although, I'm getting really narked-off with the very silly brunch until 2:00pm and no full menu until after that.  Some people don't want brunch at noon.  Some of us want lunch.</P>
  • What makes something brunch rather than lunch? 
  • Brunch. Breakfast/lunch. A meal with a narrow window of opportunity, perhaps between 10am (end of Breakfast Time) and noon (start of Lunch Time). I prefer Elevenses but it seems to have fallen out of favour.
  • Yes, but what makes it brunch rather than a late breakfast or early lunch? It is just timing? Because then there's surely no such thing as a brunch menu, just a menu. And you surely can't have an all-day breakfast - it's breakfast then brunch then lunch, etc. <div><br></div><div>Or are there particular foods that pertain to brunch. I suspect that if I have a bowl of cereal at midday that doesn't count as brunch, and that anyone going out for brunch and getting a bowl of branflakes would be quite disappointed. Eggs florentine, however, I'm sure they'd be happy with; I know I would be. If I have eggs florentine at half one, is that lunch or late brunch? </div><div><br></div><div>Sometimes I have cake for weekend breakfast at around half 11. Is this brunch? Or just me being weird?</div>
  • Over in Berlin brunch is a big deal, served from morning through till late afternoon.  It's buffet service with a fixed price for the food and you pay extra for coffee and other drinks.  It usually consists of cereals, breads, jams, cold meats, cheeses and that type of thing.  There are vegetarian and Middle Eastern cafes that are more to my liking.  People usually stay about two hours, but I've heard of some staying for four hours or more.
  • Ah, brunch is started later than breakfast, with a wider variety of food available and eaten over a much longer time period, often in company. Now that sounds like something I could get into.
  • Where I grew up in California (50s-60s), brunch was what you ate at the restaurant we went to on Sundays after going to church.  The next meal would not occur until the evening.  Sunday roast lunch was something I discovered after moving here....
  • I've always thought of it as a breakfast big enough and late enough that you don't have space for proper lunch ...
  • <span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20.799999237060547px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">"Brunch is not after breakfast and before lunch. It is instead of both."</span><div><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20.799999237060547px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br></span></div><div style="text-align: justify;"><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 20.799999237060547px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">So I can't have breakfast, brunch, lunch, tea, dinner and supper all in one day? This is most disappointing.</span></div>
  • I think it's fine provided noone notices!
  • [eats all the food] Nothing to see here, people. Move along...
  • Brunch is the excuse for those who can't be arsed to get up at 6am on a Sunday to meet up for breakfast at 8am (me, for example). And, as Misscara, explained, it's more of a mix between breakfast and lunch (clue's in the name). I quite like it as you can your eggs and buns before moving on to roast and gravy. <br>
  • I just had a lovely fry up (home made) as I want to go for a ride in the city. I've always loved a good ol' English breakfast. My version is a bit healthier, though. <br>
  • To me brunch is not brunch in London.  I miss my Berlin Sunday brunch dates.  Calm non-stressed , six euro, good chat. Not all  these loud-mouthed london poeple going on about house prices and their children's nurseries.  
  • That Polish shop is great, isn't it? I buy lots of stuff there. <br>
  • Where is Hot Nuts?  
  • edited April 2014
    <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2" style="font-size: 10pt;">https://plus.google.com/117829008635946106560/photos</font><div style="font-size: 10pt;"><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font size="2">Answered my own question.  The internet is a great invention.  Must check it out.</font></div>