Foxes

edited April 2014 in Local discussion
Noticed 2 of them regularly visiting my garden…<div>Anything I need to know?</div>

Comments

• As it carries disease and scavenges food it is filthy, vermin. Also the press has reported 2 viscous attacks on babies out of the miiion of foxes so it is a murderer. Best call the man with the lion who will scare it away.
  • On a serous note they are amazing animals and true part of the urban environment and growing in number
  • Yes, you need to know that it would be more unusual not to have foxes in your garden!
  • I was a little surprised to find that foxes had scaled over a few walls to get into our mid-terrace garden. Don't leave your back door open, they can be quite fearless and wonder in for a scavenge.
  • Not to feed them. Be careful with any pets but generally nothing to worry about.
  • Most healthy adult cats will easily see off a fox - there are some brilliant videos on YouTube. Don't leave food out for them; it'll only encourage rats. But, yeah, as everyone has already said, nothing to worry about. 
  • Unfortunately there is a brown fox which has attacked our cat and has frightened the other cats in the area of Lorne Road and Marquis Road. I also noticed another fox with some meat in it's mouth so I fear someone may be feeding them. It's the first time we've had any problems with foxes but this brown fox seems intent on chasing all the cats.  
  • edited December 2017
  • I have seen a few walk down Moray Road with nappies in their mouths. 
  • Hide any shoes well inside your house. I've had two pairs taken from the kitchen, which leads out to the garden. And have also found others' odd shoes left in the garden. Am told this is not uncommon. Doesn't seem to be the material (leather ones and espadrilles) so must be the glorious sweaty feet smell they like.
  • There is a semi licensed guy in Stamford Hill (not Jewish) whowill carry out quick targeted exterminations and burn the carcasses . Tho if u want a fox hat he could arrange it ! When that child wos bitten in Stokey he got publicity. Too many on Parkland Walk we prob get 2 injured animals or reports of dead rabbits a fortnight. Chang
  • edited December 2017
  • Thank you for this information Chang. I would of course never consider employing a Jewish person in any capacity, so I'm very grateful for the heads up. Prick.
  • edited April 2014
    <P>@TheMimsy: if you are a keen gardener and a good-friend-of-animals person like myself, you may like to see wildlife in your garden. But at the same time you may want to keep the number of foxes (because of digging and fouling) to a minimum. I found a lot of useful info here: <A href="http://www.foxproject.org.uk/deterrence/">http://www.foxproject.org.uk/deterrence/</A> Despite of the 'deterrence' word in the URL the site also briefly tells you about how self-regulation works in fox populations etc.</P> <P>I now understand them better and I only apply harmless deterrance in my garden. Best for everyone and RSPCA-compatible.</P> <P>Other than that they are indeed amazing animals and I also agree that it would be unusual not to have foxes visiting your garden.</P>
  • There should be a 'like' option for that post.
  • Yes I think foxes are amazing as well especially if lucky enough to see them in good condition.<div><br></div><div>Years ago when moored at Walthamstow marsh i heard a commotion in the water and banging on the side of the boat. Jumped onto the back deck and could see what i thought was a dogs head bobbing in the water at the front of the boat so jumped off. It was only when i got closer saw it was a fox, poor thing was exhausted and going under. When i knelt down to try and grab it it tried to swim away, still drowning, it vanished and i thought had gone under the boat, thankfully it bobbed up again and I was able to grab it by the hair on the back of its neck lifting it onto the bank beside me. </div><div><br></div><div>We both sat looking at each other for what seemed like ages. I sat really still so not to frighten it any more than it already was to give it time to recover. Thankfully  after a few mins it was well enough to get up and ran off, but  sitting so close looking into its lovely big brown eyes was one of the best experiences of my life, cant say the fox felt quite the same about me. We did get some funny looks from passers by a soaking fox and me in my nightgown sitting gazing at each other !</div><div><br></div><div>We often get them jump onto the roof of the boat during the night, sadly see them quite often drowned, and they do like to take chances by running across the river when iced over. </div>
  • 'Amazing animals' er yeh when the bite a sleeping child. Deterrence only means they move on to next doors bins. You may not like it but we need a harsh cull. And btw, the Jewish comment was factual, cos I was surprised coming from stamford Hill and that. And I am a Spurs supporter so I am well used to the whole Jewish thing.
  • edited April 2014
    Chang, please stop.
  • Toddlesocks, please don't stop.
  • <br><h1 style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 8px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, arial, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">@ J_V_MacGyver</h1><div>Thanks for the link - very informative & useful!</div>