finsbury park toilets

edited April 2014 in Local discussion
The toilets in Finsbury Park are a disgrace. I can only speak for the gents, but hear from my wife that the ladies are no better. It never really bothered me before, but now I have children and they need to use them more frequently, I can see them for what they truly are: horrible. The cafe is now quite a nice place to be, but the toilets are badly neglected. I think we deserve better. <div><br></div><div>Does anyone else feel the same way? And any ideas how to pressurise the FP toilet powers-that-be? </div><div><br></div><div>What with the Park now being pimped out frequently to gig promoters at the lowest price, surely we deserve a quid pro quo; better toilets?</div>

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yeah, they're not very nice. As often with public toilets, people think they can do whatever they want as it's not 'theirs'. Compared to some of the staff toilets in hotels, though, FP loos are a dream.<br>
  • I use them a couple of times a week, while leaving my dogs in the dog pen, taking their chances with the staffies. <div><br></div><div>I'm normally in and out quite quickly and can hardly ever get to the sink because there's a baby in it having it's bum washed.<br><div><br></div><div>To be honest I don't find them that bad, but my standards may be low.    In the old times you'd be lucky not to find needles on the floor, someone shooting up or a person having a shag in order to buy drugs from the bloke waiting outside.  I find it no worse than John Lewis on a Saturday afternoon.  At least they're always open and there's normally toilet paper.     I think the bins can overflow when it's busy at the weekends and in the summer.     That's true of all the bins in the park the rubbish bins and the dog poo bins.   I'm not sure if it's the same contractors who clean the loos.   Friends of Finsbury Park may know more I guess.</div></div>
  • I went to the Harringey Council consultation regarding the concernts last year. The Council could not gurantee that the revenue generated from the concerts would be spent in the park. Friends of Finsbury park asked specificlaly about previous money generated from concerts, films etc. None of it has been reinvested in the park. Sadly it is likely that that any income generated will be spent in council black holes due to central government cuts. <div><br></div><div>I agree the toilets are in awful condition. Many times over the winter they have been closed. I use them regularly after park run and yoga on the weekends. Public toilets have been massively cut in the last 15 years. I know many of my patients complain about it. They have decreased bladder volume capacity due to anti cancer treatment and unfortunately I hear stories regularly they get caught short due to lack of public toilets. There are many mums on this forum who probably have had the same experience during pregnancy. </div>
  • Am curious as to what are you prescribe your patients that decrease their bladder volume Sutent? A chemical partial cystsectomy?
  • For some reason I seemed to have read 'anti-cancer medication'. I need my eyes checked in my old age.<div>I try to avoid public toilets, they are usually in various poor states of hygiene, but I guess I'm lucky my bladder is still working at full capacity!</div>
  • I'd love to have a bladder that would accept more fluid, and be less nervous. Not a chance, I'm afraid. Maybe it has to do with my drinking at least 2 to 3 litres a day. <br>
  • Too much info...? Chang
  • What's the problem, Chang? I'm just saying that I need the loo a lot. You drink a lot, you wee a lot. Simple.<br>
  • I facebook-ed the friends to see if there is any initiative afoot and will keep you posted. 
  • Hi.  I've sent the Haringey Council officer who is responsible for Finsbury Park an email with the text of this complaint.  I've asked if the toilets are being inspected and maintained as they should - and if there are any plans to redecorate or refurbish them soon.  I agree that profits from the events should definitely be spent on improving facilities like this.
  • edited December 2017
  • Many thanks for picking this up Cllr Wilson. I am very impressed. Please keep us informed of progress.
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">A very <a href="http://www.harringayonline.com/forum/topics/loos-in-finsbury-park">similar complaint has appeared on Harringay Online</a>.  </font><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: small;">I've pointed out to the parks department that concern about their upkeep of the toilets is spreading!</span>
  • Thanks. The friends of FP have also picked this up and will be raising it at their council meetings.
  • <div>I've had a very positive response to my complaint about the toilets in Finsbury Park (pasted below).  They are going to do some 'deep cleans' and its should have received a lick of paint in the last few days.</div><div><br></div><div>Its great raising issues during the local elections - suddenly things happen!</div><div><br></div><div>Let me know if it deteriorates again.</div><div><br></div><div>Richard</div><div><br></div><div><p style="margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'HelveticaNeueLT Std', sans-serif;">Dear <a name="145b198b5626ce23_R47dfb8df79024ae49e635a326caa4a69">Councillor</a> <a name="145b198b5626ce23_R54757af9387c46c4b30bb910d8213390">Wilson</a><u></u><u></u></span></p><p align="center" style="margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); text-align: center;"><b><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'HelveticaNeueLT Std', sans-serif;">Your enquiry about <a name="145b198b5626ce23_R66306d492c6b4991b564df441fbc70dc">Condition of toilets in Finsbury Park</a><u></u><u></u></span></b></p><p align="center" style="margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); text-align: center;"><b><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'HelveticaNeueLT Std', sans-serif;">Ref : <a name="145b198b5626ce23_Rf8388a46b2e24d9dadd8df9ecc636ba8">LBH/2934914</a></span></b></p><p style="margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'HelveticaNeueLT Std', sans-serif;">Thank you for your enquiry.</span></p><p style="margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'HelveticaNeueLT Std', sans-serif; color: black;">May I begin by acknowledging your reference to an on line discussion regarding the above. I can confirm that </span><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; color: black;">I have recently met with the Management of the cleaning contractor for the toilets and have agreed that they increase their shift patterns for the forthcoming season thus providing greater presence at the toilet facility. For example from May to the end of August the facility will have an attendant from 9am opening time until 8pm closing time with a one hour break in between these times.</span></p><p style="margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; color: black;">Regarding the cleaning standards, I can also confirm that in addition to the new schedule whereby the attendant will daily clean there will be an increase of six deep cleans per year, four of which will be scheduled during the aforementioned time period. We will of course be monitoring this progress closely and value the input from Park users to ensure that we are achieving the best standards possible.</span></p><p style="margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; color: black;">In relation to your comments regarding redecorating/refurbishment of the toilet facilities, I have arranged for the men’s toilet interior wall to be painted a lighter colour, missing/vandalised tiles to be replaced and the outside wall timber to be re varnished. This work will take place prior to the May Day Bank Holiday.<u></u><u></u></span></p><p style="margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; color: black;"><u></u> <u></u></span></p><p style="margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; color: black;">I am sure that you appreciate that managing this facility can be very challenging at times but I believe that the increased measures that we have agreed with the councils contractor will help improve the current situation.</span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'HelveticaNeueLT Std', sans-serif;">I hope that you are satisfied with my response to your enquiry.  If you have any follow-up queries or need more information, please contact the <a href="mailto:MemberEnquiries@haringey.gov.uk" target="_blank" style="color: rgb(17, 85, 204);">Feedback and Information Governance Team</a> in the first instance.<u></u><u></u></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'HelveticaNeueLT Std', sans-serif; color: red;"><u></u> <u></u></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'HelveticaNeueLT Std', sans-serif; color: black;">Yours sincerely,<u></u><u></u></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'HelveticaNeueLT Std', sans-serif; color: black;"><u></u> <u></u></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><a name="145b198b5626ce23_Re962c82c5e4e440d8fd4098f4d324fe5"><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'HelveticaNeueLT Std', sans-serif;">Taylor, Lewis (Haringey Council)</span></a></p></div>
  • Well done councillor!<div>Please could you ask them to install a second nappy bin, with a lid.</div><div>That would ensure that the smells are kept to a minimum rather than the bin overflowing at peak times which is extremely unhygienic and smelly.</div>
  • Yeh, that does stink. Chang