I'm off

I'm off.  It's been lovely to meet you all here, but I've decided to take an extended vacation into a forgotten place called 'the real world'.<div><br></div><div>I expect to be wasting more of my time and energy in the old-fashioned 'cafes' and 'bars' that apparently enrich this area.  If anyone knows who I am and approaches me with the words 'you are krappy', I will be most happy to share a beverage.</div><div><br></div><div>Why?   Sadly I think SG Org has become a bit dull, repetitive and sometimes plain nasty.    It was better as it was.    I admit one factor is the mindless and occasionally semi-racist twaddle from a certain contributor, which is really boring and very distasteful, but the last straw has been to find that it is now apparently impossible for any new person to join this site.   Is anyone actually looking after this list?   If there is no new blood, a dwindling band of people will continue to prattle aimlessly and repetitively forever with each other and the site will eventually disappear up its own orifice.</div><div><br></div><div>I won't rule out a few special appearances in future by a certain olive oil trader and perhaps a local history enthusiast, but sadly <span style="font-size: 10pt;">Krappy is dead.    He is going outside and may be some time.    </span><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Bye for now!</span></div>

Comments

• I find 'dramatic' exits a bit weird. It's an online community and nobody forces anyone to stay, so if someone doesn't like it, then they're free to leave. The announced exits (I've seen a few on different fora), to me, always sound like an underlying fishing for compliments: please tell me not to leave. <br><br>Nothing wrong with feedback for the site, but if I found it dull, I'd just not visit. Quite simple, really.<br>
  • edited December 2017
  • Goodbye, Krappy. I'm sorry you're leaving. You've been a good contributor, and your criticisms are mine as well. For me, there are still some pluses, however, so I intend to stick with it. Luckily I now know you a bit coffeeside, and hope to see more of you there.
  • edited April 2014
    But you're not right about newbies. I successfully signed up two  yesterday - it wasn't hard. I imagine it WILL be harder for people like the semi-racist one you are complaining about to join in the future, for which reason the by invitation only rule is a good move.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited April 2014
    Had no idea about the 'join only by invitation' rule which is old fashioned and Crouch End-ish. Like the Freemasons ? There will be funny outfits next! It's not the Groucho so dunno why ordinary ppl moving here - like all the new students and flat owners at Worlds End - can't just jump on? Would make it more lively than the old farts Krappy complains about. And lets face it would get more coloured types, poles, Turks etc to join which would be gd cos it is ain't v diverse is it? Chang
  • I'm sorry you won't be around, you will be missed - and not only for olive oil sourcing ... The real world also has its points. But perhaps you will check in from time to time, hiding under a wide-brimmed hat. 
  • Sad, but hard to disagree with anything you say, krappy.
  • I think you've added a great deal to the site, discussions and the real-life world of Stroud Green over the years since I first met you on here Krappy. You'll be missed. Hopefully, a rest will get you wanting to return.<br><br>If I spot you in the street, or a neighbourhood establishment I'll try and flag you down.<br><br>By the way. The big bottle of olive oil I got from you at Christmas time is going very well, I use it as my main olive oil thanks to the new bigger bottle, as I no longer worry about running out a little bottle. That psychological trick worked.<br>
  • edited December 2017
  • At least we're only writing to him, you played him a song!<br>
  • <P>This  has got a bit Facebookish in places </P>
  • <p>I seem to remember there was a similar style exit in the context of the Great Troll Crisis a couple of years ago, but can't find it in the search. This might be a good time to make bets about the actual date of krappy's second/third coming.</p><p>In the meantime I'll continue to try and work out the meaning of 'semi-racist'. Maybe in the next course of oil-related communications he may drop an explanatory hint.</p>
  • Yes, I expect to see Krappy return at the beginning of the olive harvest.
  • Yeh he needs the sales. Chang