Changes

edited June 2014 in About this site
<div style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><b><i>This is a longish post. tl;dr - I'm handing over the reins.</i></b></div><div style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br></div><div style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">Along with David, I set <a href="http://stroudgreen.org/" target="_blank" style="color: rgb(17, 85, 204);">stroudgreen.org</a> up in March 2006. I was a much younger man. Twitter was launched in the same month. They grew a bit faster.</div><div style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br></div><div style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><div>For lots of reasons, I'm not going to be the person who stands over and behind it any more.</div><div><br></div><div>So I'm delighted that Ben (aka Arkady), has agreed to take over the moderation, general running of the site and the twitter account. Many of you have met him and will support the idea. For me, Ben's sta<font face="arial, sans-serif">nding as a council candidate was out of genuine local concern and I think that energy will be good for the site.</font><br><br>He's got lots of ideas and I'm sure he'll have a different approach, but that's fine and natural. Importantly, the site will always welcome diverse voices and try to be a useful resource for this little patch of London.<br><br></div></div><div style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Since 2006, every couple of years, there is a post asking "whatever happened to SG.org?" (I think </span><a href="http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/1027/pour-encourager-les-autres/p1" style="font-size: 10pt;">this</a><span style="font-size: 10pt;"> is the first one, in 2008).</span></div><div style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br></div><div style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">In each case, the cause is often the same. People make personal comments when they could have been constructive. They are mean when they could have been gentle. They are hostile when they could have been empathic. </div><div style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br></div><div style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">I'm all for dissent, but the tone of the site has been more negative than positive for too long. Similarly, I think anonymity is an undervalued and important idea online, especially in the face of authority, but the quality of the site has sometimes suffered from my defence of that idea.</div><br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><span style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">And jokes. There used to be jokes.</span><br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><span style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">Online communities can work, but it takes work. So it's shake it up or shut it down. I'm delighted that Ben's going to have a go. I'm looking forward to seeing what might happen. I'll continue to pick up the tab for the hosting, but Ben will be in the driving seat.</span><br><div style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br></div><div style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">Be excellent to each other.</div>

Comments

• edited June 2014
    <span style="font-style: normal;">A quick follow-up ramble from me.  First, I’d like to express my thanks to Andy and David for setting up this great place.  I think we sometimes take it for granted just how powerful it can be as a ‘civil society enabler’. When I think of the book groups, the WI branches, the local campaigns, and indeed simply the friendships that have been established as a result of people connecting here... it’s an astonishing example of how technology can help to facilitate a feeling of community in urban areas that can sometimes feel transient and rootless. And thanks also to Andy for his patience and tolerance of us all, when we haven’t always lived up, shall we say, the highest standards of discussion.  It’s an incredible honour to be trusted with those responsibilities, though I fear I will not be able to live up to his example. I do indeed have some thoughts about how we can introduce new features and initiatives going forward, and will raise them with you in due course.  I would welcome any advice and suggestions. In the spirit of consultation and democracy I’m considering (re)introducing a polling tool to see what people think of ideas before they are implemented. Three things that will happen immediately or imminently: 1)     I will open up registration so that it is easier for people to join, and I intend to do a bit of promotion for the site too.  I think we need new blood; plenty of you have already said the same thing. 2)     The late-night posting restrictions will be removed.  I’d like to trust people to behave like adults, to conduct themselves politely and kindly - to </span><i>be excellent to each other</i> in line with Andy’s comments above. 3)     Please note that a failure to uphold those standards will be treated with less forbearance than before.  If you don’t feel that you can disagree with someone without being rude or personal then this is not the place for you. This place ought to be considered a <a href="http://trevorhultner.com/safe-space-policy/" style="font-style: normal;">safe space</a>, otherwise people (especially new people) are dissuaded from taking part. And yes, more fun please.  Remember when we used to have pictures of <a href="http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/2163/urgent-awful-development-at-64-68-stapleton-hall-road/p2" style="font-style: normal;">Godzilla destroying local landmarks</a>?  More of that sort of thing. With those provisos: carry on. Ben
  • Thanks for the update Andy ... and for your far-sighted initiative way back when ... but change happens ...bring it on Arkady ... :)
  • edited June 2014
    Thanks for all your work, Andy and David, and welcome to your post-site-admin life!
  • I've only been on the site for 2.5 years, but I'd like to thank Andy and David (have I ever 'met' him?). I think it's a wonderful forum for all things local and I've met some wonderful people. <div><br></div><div>Ben: Congratulations on your new role, may the suggested and implemented changes bring on good times.</div>
  • Thank you Andy, and David, you have been the facilitators for many good and positive things. On a personal note, I wouldn't have known how to reach enough local women to start forming SG WI without this forum. Ben, thank you for taking the reins. You have often been the voice of reason and I can't think of anyone who would do a better job. If you need a hand with promotion let me know. I was thinking the other day that I wish more people knew about it. Oh, some window stickers with 'Member of Stroud Green.org' for local businesses that post here would be great but no idea how we'd pay for them.
  • Thanks for the good wishes, people. Good thought Annie. I have considered delivering some fliers to local businesses and inviting them to say hi. What value would stickers have for those businesses, do you think?
  • 8 years for an online community is impressive! I enjoyed the other evening going through and reading some of the earlier threads.  In that post from 2008 I'm impressed how many of the people are still posting on here!  Anyway, all the best and welcome to Arkady as mod.<div><br></div><div>p.s. many thanks Andy for the hosting.</div>
  • edited June 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'm a fan of the reusable bag idea. Open to suggestions about how they could be funded/distributed. I envisage tiresome copyright issues. While In general I think the layout and theme works well, I intend to have a play around with the different Vanilla add-ons. It would be great to restore the poll function, and I'd really like to restore the map and have individual features on the map linked to specific threads. Keep the ideas coming!
  • Any suggestions about what should be in/different about the Welcome to SG sticky? I think the nighttime posting restrictions are now off. I've had fumble about with the registration options, but this lead to 70 attempted spammer registrants overnight, so I will hang on until I figure out how to install Captcha- think I'm nearly there with that.
  • Not sure what value stickers would have other than publicising the site and letting people know that they support a community initiative. I think it would encourage people to support them but maybe that's just me. I know someone who might do tote bags on a deal, let me know how many might be a good start and I'll enquire if you like. Do you need help to deliver flyers? We'll put some out at WI too when they are done and I'll give them out at any local markets I do.
  • The amount of money we currently have being £0, it might be pie-in-the-sky.  Fundraising drive?
  • Yes, congratulations Arkady on the new role and to Andy for keeping this site going.  Although I'm not a regular 'contributor' I do check out the site everyday and it's with thanks to stroudgreen.org that I discovered all the great things in the area and helpful advice when I first moved here.  Thanks again!<div><br></div><div>Cristo<br><div><br></div></div>
  • Thanks Dave and Andy for all you work over the years, Congratulations Ben on new position. I am sue you will do a great job. I definitely think we need new people on here. I am more than happy to to help with leaflets/flyer or raise money. If the council allow us we could have a stall outside Tesco for the day after work or on a weekend to tell locals about the site. That can't cost too much
  • Thanks and congratulations. It is a great resource. We are very lucky.
  • TOSSCAT! Where have you been, I've missed you.
  • edited June 2014
    Good news
  • Ah man, it's getting to be like the end of The Return of the Jedi.
  • As others are saying - many thanks and good wishes to the past and future kings of sg
  • Thank you David and Andy - and good luck Ben!
  • Thank you to the two of you from me, as well. sg.org came into being at almost exactly the same time as I moved back to this part of London, so this change feels very momentous to me! Best of luck to Ben - we're all behind you I'm sure.
  • PS have you thought abt trying to get some more information from "dormant" members abt what it would take to encourage them to participate? Might be an alternative place to start from going after new members (not that there's anything wrong with that of course).
  • Huge congrats Ben - and many thanks to Andy for all your hard work and patience over the years! What about a fundraising party to celebrate the new "management", and it could help raise funds for any costs Ben might have?
  • edited June 2014
    The fundraising party/stall ideas are good and worth exploring.  To clarify though, Andy has kindly offered to continue to meet the hosting costs, so any fundraising would be for any specific projects we come up with.
  • I meant for any additional merchandising or advertising etc - and thank you Andy for continuing to cover the hosting costs!<br>
  • What about making the BBQ a fundraiser? Or is that not feasible?
  • Happy to have an SG.org donations box out if it's at ours. Would that be the sort of thing?
  • That could work (as long as I don't have to put together a written constitution, hire a treasurer, and pay for an accountant).
  • Anyone else get some really ugly stuff happen when they click on the new Poll discussion?
This discussion has been closed.