Yak & Yeti

edited June 2014 in Local discussion
Got their menu through the door this evening - YUM!

Comments

• Has anyone eaten here yet?
  • Dion, it's not open yet from what I can see.  It was supposed to open last Sunday but it has been delayed.
  • It had a lit up sign saying open this evening - but poking my head in through the door suggested this wasn't the case.
  • How about today?  Is it open?  Footballcurry combo could be just the thing
  • edited June 2014
    It's open. We got a take out yesterday evening. Not bad. Wish they wouldn't use plastic bags though.
  • Oooo – what did you have? I don’t like the sign much, but the menu looks tempting.
  • Full & detailed report please, @Stata!
  • It was the only place not showing the football that evening, so pretty quiet. Takeaway was friendly and efficient, was ready in 10 minutes. The onion bhaji was quite nutty, which was different. The mains tasted great - good quality meat and good portion size. The sauces were creamier (which I like) than my usual curry place, and looked less processed (ie less neon in colour!) Would definitely go again.
  • What are the veggie options like?
  • Had a take-away on Friday. Quality of ingredients seems good. The Hariyali chicken dish was hot (as advertised) but without overwhelming the underlying coriander, mint and ginger flavours - would order this again. Of the veggie options, we had a nice potato and spinach dish called Aloo Rayo which was tasty - the veg was fresh and not over-cooked. The Zimbu Dal was really nice too - best dal dish I've had in Stroud Green. <div><br></div><div>Looking forward to eating there again!</div>
  • I logged in to sing this place's praises, and found this thread. Had takeaway on Fri - its now my favorite takeaway! It's nothing like the food I had in Nepal (except the momo which seemed authentic), but it was all amazing. I just kept looking at the leftovers and smiling like an idiot. We had Salmon starter, chicken wings, lamb momo, holy Basil chicken, plus usual accompaniments. Couldn't fault it (and we eat out a fair bit and try a new takeaway each Friday). Chicken wings sound skanky but these are the best I've had in London (from a man that always chooses them were he can). Only gripe was their website isn't updated yet for this branch, so they had to manually apply the 25% discount which they forgot to do. But was resolved with a call. And the delivery guy had no change.
  • This is definitely going to be my next takeaway!
  • The daal was pretty good in Friday night. Lovely garlic hmmm. And it was still good last night. Had butter chicken which was traditionally saucy. The naan were good. Also had lamb Rohan josh which was also good. The portions were pretty large and I phoned and got the 25% discount They are clearly just starting and hope that they manage against the brutal North London takeaway scene, a la tiffin tin holy cow etc
  • Went this evening. Really very good. Fabulous crab and great tikka done with coriander mint and chilli for a change. Monster bits of paneer. Interesting aubergine dish too. Oh and big portions. Only slightly weird thing about it is the ambience, which is a bit odd as it is all 'marble' floor. We took a takeaway menu and I imagine will return sooner rather than later.
  • We were in there for dinner last night, having got takeaway a couple of weeks ago just after it opened. Am happy to say this place does brilliant food.<br><br>There are loads of really interesting curries to try - miles better than the standard curryhouse fare. And a whole separare menu with tons of unusual starters which we didn't even broach. You're probably paying a pound or two more for your main courses than in a bog standard curryhouse but it's well worth the extra cash.<br><br>Couldn't be happier really. They just need to get some tunes on.<br>
  • Went last night and got a take away.  I really thought it was great and I'm very fussy.   <div><br></div><div>I had the kidney bean dhal, the Aloo Rayo, a mint stuffed paratha and the Papri Chaat which was excellent.   It's very fresh tasting and each dish is quite distinctive.   Large portions.  </div><div><br></div><div>I enjoyed the ambience, very unreconstructed, like a Tandoori Nights corner curry house in Watford in the 80's.</div>
  • RegReg
    edited July 2014
    I haven't felt moved to write anything on here for quite a long time but we just got home from our first dinner at the Y&Y and wanted to tell you all how great it is. We loved the food - loads of fresh ingredients, no grease and quite different dishes from your standard curry house fare. The service was also impeccable. We highly recommend it. <span style="font-size: 10pt;">Definitely agree with the points above about the ambience and strange fit-out but don't let it put you off. THis place is great.</span>
  • Given the positive reviews we visited Y&Y this evening for a take away...<div><br></div><div>Nice decor and all immaculately clean. The staff were very friendly too. Food was fabulous and far better quality than the usual curry-house fair: good sized portions and really tasty. We also received a 25% discount for collecting.<div><br></div><div>Strongly recommended - we will definitely be back for a sit-down meal next time!</div></div>
  • Sounds like this place is a winner. If they keep this up they'll have a good chance to stay. Will try at some point, too. Love me a curry.
  • Thanks Stella. For some odd reason I now have 'love me a curry' to the tune of 'Cry Me A River' stuck in my head.
  • Which 'Cry Me A River', though - Julie London or Justin Timberlake?
  • Trousersnake, sadly.
  • They're both good! 
  • My wife and I were disappointed with our take away. It was very creamy but lacking flavour Still nothing beats Everest Spice delivery.
  • Don't know JT, but I was a great fan of the Julie London version. That excruciating discord for 'NOW (you say you love me)' - just right - the singer's pain, on the very first word. I can't remember who wrote it. It featured in in a mediocre black and white flick, JL playing the ghost of what then would have been called a siren.. But I've probably got all that wrong as well. And is it discord, or dischord? I can't remember anything these days. Discord, I think. Me, an old music teacher, too. Disgraceful. I'd better let you get back to Y and Y. Carry on, London.
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"> face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">For some reason the mention of Julie brought this film to mind.  Shown a lot in the 90s.  </font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">A bit of discord in the singing.  </font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">A great London late 60s film. </font></div>
  • Great songs both, but Julie edges it. Thanks to Checkski for the exegesis.
  • If you could see my big, cheesy grin, Arkady. I aim to please. 
  • I got to know the song via Ray Charles and Ella Fitzgerald - so there is a bit of me that wants a big bang in there somewhere. But I love the way the JL version is so stripped down and devastated. (Thanks youtube.)<div><br></div><div>PS @checkski: you will have check(ski)ed this out by now, no doubt. But think concord, not harpsichord.</div><div><br></div><div>And PS @kreuzkav: I watched this and thought, so charming, Parisian versions of London looking cool and like Montmartre. But I got a bit uneasy with the little girl on the bike following the staggeringly beautiful man around. Didn't make it into second half...</div><div><br></div><div>This thread looks like it needs a new title!<br><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>