Changes

Comments

• edited September 2014
    Morning all!<div>@Mirandola & @comformable_kate: thanks for your thoughts.</div><div><br>"The mumsnet system whereby posts get cancelled if there's a personal attack, people get suspended if things get ugly and swearing is positively encouraged seems to work ok"<br>That sounds about right.<br>You raise also the political issue. For what it's worth, I don't anticipate being active in any political party in the short term, but just like Andy I reserve the right to - politely - express my views.<br>For the record - on Monday I invited the new Stroud Green ward councillors to get involved. One was already a member, one has since joined. I hope they say hello soon. I hope that goes some way to show that there is no danger of me not being a pluralist!<br><br>@[deleted][ - When you used to do things like organising the emergency first aid course for us, I assumed that it was because you were a generous person who wanted to give something back to their community, and I respected you for it. It's a shame that my various attempts to try to similarly contribute lead to slurs like having a "sickening quest for local Sainthood", and accusing people who disagree with you of being 'weak-minded'.  Can you not see that this is precisely the sort of language that we need to avoid here? Lose the tone, please.</div><div>I'm sorry if you don't support my appointment as moderator, but that's not going to change.  Please go back and look at those first two posts, and remember what I am trying to achieve.  You may not think that things need to change, but ultimately that's not your call.  It's up to me to make these difficult decisions, and like Andy before me I will no doubt continue to get abuse for it. Unlike Andy I will be public about it - that's for transparency and so that people can understand what I am trying to do - the very opposite of your accusation that I am being capricious.  I explained, very carefully and explicitly, why it happened, referring back to the original two posts.  Please try to see the bigger picture.</div><div><br></div><div>Can we try and draw a line under this for now and see how we all get on?</div><div><br></div>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Odd - try again?  Is it possible that you hit 'cancel' instead of 'post discussion' by mistake?  I've done that once or twice - it made me say a bad word.<div><br></div><div>Your insistence that I suspended kreuzkav because I don't like him or because I have a superiority complex - rather than for the rather obvious reason that he called someone a liar - is rather baffling to me.  Ditto your accusation that asking people not to be personal or abusive is in itself harassment or bullying.  But again, I fear we will have to agree to disagree.  It's good that people have been able to get things off their chests, and have a better idea of what is acceptable going forward.</div><div><br></div><div>Carry on.</div>
  • But surely posts about politics and house prices are what a local community forum is about? The forum may be moderated by Arkady but it's driven by what the members want to talk about and that will be local issues by and large. If you are thinking about moving house then the current house prices are good to know as are the state of the local schools. And if the binmen have missed your house for the 3rd week running I think a local community forum is the place to go. As for Arkady taking over fair play to him, my opinion (that counts for very little) is that he is community spirited and fair minded pretty much what a moderator should be.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2014
    For the record, I'm not going to police every single thread continually to delete individual posts (though I reserve the right to do so where appropriate).  Most people manage to behave like adults all the time and don't require permanent observation.  I decide whether something crosses the line or not.  If people cross the line they risk suspension.  Cross it again and they risk exclusion.  That's what moderators do and always have done.  It's what Andy did. I'm merely being more open about why and how.
  • Changing the subject somewhat (hint hint): <br><br>We will be upgrading to the latest version of Vanilla soon, which might mean that the plugins can be made to work. No idea what other consequences there might be, but we will be doing a back-up first in case it goes completely tits-up. The site might be down for a bit. So please don't freak out that I've pulled the rug-from under you (YET) - it's just maintenance.<br><br>B
  • edited June 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2014
    New experience for me: having to take time out from a stag do to find out why people are complaining to me about someone being foolish on the internet. How did I get myself into this?<div><br>Perhaps I should just deal with this stuff without talking about it, but I seem to have made some claims about attempting transparency that I should probably stick with.<div><br>Due to an inappropriate message, and several complaints, I have suspended them for the time being.<br><br></div><div>Same drill - she might be back in a couple of weeks.</div><div><br>If anyone has questions or concerns I invite you to send me a PM.</div><div><br>I won’t be around much for the next 48 hours, and then not at all until<span style="font-size: 10pt;"> Monday 30th, because I will be getting drunk in a field.  Be nice to come back to find I don't have a stack of PMs because somebody said something deeply unpleasant?</span></div><div><div><br></div><div>Have fun.<br><div>B</div></div></div></div>
  • I didn't see it but thank you for your dedication to duty. Enjoy Glastonbury!
  • Whilst in favour of the idea of a local online forum, I do have reservations about contributing to a forum about local matters managed a single individual with clear party political aspirations, irrespective of whether I would or would not vote for them personally or support their party or otherwise.<div><br></div><div>It's not the politics, it's the concept.  <span style="font-size: 10pt; ">Quis custodiet ipsos custodes, as they say.</span></div><div><div><br></div></div><div>Kindly close/delete/wipe my account on here with immediate effect.  Thanks.</div>
  • edited June 2014
    I hope I have explained myself on that account. I am retired for the time being at least! Your new local counsellors will be popping by as soon as their new website is ready – I will add a link to it at the top.<br>J – if you definitely feel that way then drop me a PM and I will sort it ASAP.
  • edited June 2014
    By what has been said in the new welcome post it appears other mods may be added in time ? Maybe a cooling off period and discussion in a week or two time ( when excluded members are hopefully back ) may be helpful to all ?
  • edited June 2014
    For the record: If I decide to stand for office again (not feeling very likely at this point) I will stand down as moderator.<div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Toddlesocks' cooling-down period sounds wise.</span></div>
  • edited June 2014
    I have admind,on an international forum for almost 10 yrs. It is very difficult for members to step up and , ' take the reins' . Needs a bit of time and understanding on all sides.
  • I don't see why Arkady's political party affiliation should disqualify him from moderating this website. <div><br></div><div>No one seemed to care about who Andy or David voted for and the none of the other members who contribute here are forced to declare theirs. At least Arkady is on the record with his. <div><br></div><div>It's been a little over a week since the Andy made the announcement. Shouldn't we wait for Arkady to actually do something before we race to judge his stewardship of this site? </div><div><br></div><div>It seems odd to me that some people are so upset about this. Most of the regulars here are not exactlyy shrinking violet types. If Arkady goes rogue, I'm sure he and everyone else will know about it.   </div></div>
  • Doesn't bother me in the slightest about someone's political affiliations. It just doesn't cross my mind that Arkady will start banging on about the lib dems.
  • Hold on a second. If having political views should bar you from running this sort of website then we're all fucked. You could even argue that the kind of socially responsible person who sacrifices their time to run for the Council is exactly the sort of person who ends up bothering with a thankless task like running a community website. <div><br></div><div>On the other hand, he can't spell 'councillor'. Hang him. <br><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>
  • Ha.  My mother is a 'counsellor' (try getting anything past her...) so I often get that mixed up with 'councillor'.
  • edited June 2014
    Someone has to moderate on here sadly. Andy picked Arkady thats good enough for me. Who cares what party he supports, and more to the point what has it got to do with anyone anyway? If he was gay or black or a one legged muslim dwarf would we be having the same debate?
  • edited June 2014
    I dont care whatever politics anyone has all parties are welcome, as is beings encouraged here. Hosting a party is different to turning up at one, would be surprised if Arkady does not consider what he posts/ behaviour more than before. Point is it is supposed to be a community website. Difficult for one person to mod it fairly, especially when attempting to ' shake it up' with the added complication of going from poster to admin. Think if all were kissing ass it would be more worring! Constructive criticism. A small team of diverse personalities has worked best for both mods / posters in my experience for overall support/ fairness. We had bigger battles between mods in in the mod forum than on open board. Tiring as it was, it helped us know we were as fair as could be . Though ultimately admin needs to have final decision as they are legally responsible. Obviously all need to respect that. Glad bulling / personal attacks online in general is being taken more seriously, of course means admins need to be stricter ! In saying that believe the best mods were those who could defuse without people feeling they were being " moderated", think there's a clue in the name :) It is a horrible and difficult job even with a good team to thrash things out. A great pity that two long term posters have been excluded quickly, appears unnecessary ( particularly upsetting as they are two of my favs, so may be biased). Given how few regular posters participate seems a big loss in general. Anyway I barely live in the area let alone post much . Had enough debates about moding to last a LIFETIME. Its not what i come online to get involved in so will butt out now. Hope things works out.
  • @Arkady: Perhaps I should just deal with this stuff without talking about it? That would be my advice.
  • edited September 2014
    I like her and I will miss here on here. I hope she is back soon. She is very genuine and her heart is in the right place and she really cares about the area. I wish she would get less angry though. Look forward to having her back. 
  • One belated thought based on my experience moderating other sites: getting the ground rules for moderation right is important, but just as important is people being willing to believe that when someone interprets them differently from their own view then it's quite possible they have simply just done that - come to a different, reasonable judgement rather than always thinking that a difference of view is due to outrageous censorship, control freakery, power grabs etc.
  • Sorry to come in late to the party, I'm away on holiday up north with really bad internet and mobile access. I just wanted to say thank you to Andy and David for setting up the site and keeping it going for so long. Because of this site I met Miss Annie and joined our wonderful WI, I have done a first aid course, got my boiler serviced and roof fixed thanks to recommendations and made a lovely friend with a baby of similar age as mine. This site has kept us amused and frustrated (at times) in equal measure and I have always found it a good read during my long commutes to work and back. Good luck Arkady and well done from taking up the baton.
  • Students fees comes back again !<br>
  • student fees for what Ali?
  • <br>Student,  This  related   to comment which Miscarra made concerning  the punishment which was dealt to Krev  which is not there any more.  Now she  seems to have been removed for speaking up.<br> <br> Fees well ask Cleggers<br> <br> I think it is quite rare that people are  nasty to others and quite often the message sent is received in  a different way from what  was meant.<span style="mso-spacerun:yes">  </span>Some people around here are under pressure compared to position a few years ago so a bit of anger is to be expected. <br> <br> A lot of what  M and K <span style="mso-spacerun:yes"> </span>(how far would the Hip conversation got with out him/her) have contributed has stimulated lots of interesting discussion and if this ends up be sanitised it will loose it's edge which is one of it's big USPs.<br> <br> I think it is  time that they both come back or is it time for the vote button to be used as democracy would  win out for both of them.<br> <br> This is unnecessarily  unpleasant and not required.<br><br>
  • I agree completely Ali. Hopefully Arkady will ask them to come back 
This discussion has been closed.