Mezabhan closed down

edited June 2014 in Local discussion
Its so sad to see this place close down. Its the only place to get a decent authentic curry in North London. The Dahl and lamb curry (when I wasn't a veterinarian) was amazing. 

Comments

• Ah, sad - though I only went there once.  Was it better than, say, Jai Krishna?
  • Different type of food Arkady from different regions of India. Both authentic in the own styles. Mezabahn had a huge islmaic/indian influence in their cooking. It was a gold mine of a place. I guess the plastic chairs and big saucepans full of curry is not to everyone liking. If you go to India thats how you eat. 
  • Shame. Anyone know how long it had been there?
  • Its been there since 2006 at least 
  • I had never noticed it! Where is/was it?
  • next door to seasons
  • Blimey, I clearly walk round with my eyes shut!
  • I remember one night when I found it completely crowded, hosting some kind of Indian family event. It was amazing how nicely it was done up, given the otherwise rather spartan decor. I always thought their vegetarian curry was excellent. A real loss.
  • 2006 might be the last time I was in there.  Perhaps I should have paid it more attention.  The fellah who ran it seemed like a veteran - is it possible that he's retiring?  Hope it's that rather than a business issue.
  • Their less-than-triumphant 1-star food hygiene rating might have been an issue.
  • Your eating curry. Food designed to withstand poor conditions.
  • Ah, if only that were true... Not my experience of living in India, unfortunately. Mind you, the worst case of food poisoning I've ever had I got in London (not from the Mezbaan, I hasten to add).
  • If went around India with your food hygiene standard hat on you wouldn't be able to eat anywhere
  • I had a curry once or twice, but mostly popped in for a Samosa. Have to say, I won't miss it, but it's mostly because I hardly ever went there. I'd definitely miss that Chinese place, with that young guy behind the counter. Very good take away, in my opinion.
  • Which Chinese place Stella?<br>
  • Mezabhan was probably my favourite eating establishment on SGR.  I often bought two  vegetable somosas on the way home.  Every other week I'd pick up a spicy veg curry with rice for £3.40.  A friend thought it was a bit greasy but at that price it was good street food. Will miss it.
  • Hey kreuzkav. Good to have you back. Have missed you.
  • Thank you Sutent.   I'm very good and enjoyed my time in SG Prison. Time for reflection on the auto-bahn.  <div><br></div><div>The biggest loss I felt to my personal freedom was mezzebhan ceasing to exist on SG auto-bahn. Where can I buy a decent somosa for 90 pence in this area.  </div>
  • The bagel place opposite station do samosa last time I checked. The Lahore Kharai place on seven sisters road do really good ones. I know its not close but turnpike lane have abundance of samosas. Will miss mezzebhan as it was so close. The Dahl was my absolute favourite. The chef got the boiling of the lentals just right and perfect combination of spices. I think cooking in big couldrens is the only way curries should be cooked. Its not practical in high Street indian who seem to have too many dishes all manufactured to order
  • Oddly enough Sutent I was waiting for a bus by the stop opposite the park on Seven Sisters road yesterday eating a somosa I had bought at the bagel place you mentioned.  £1.90, double the price but probably 50 per cent bigger. I will have to settle for that in future.  Will try your other recommendations.  And we still have the lovely Jai Krishna 
  • Hi Kreuz! Welcome back.
  • <p> Where is Miscarra ?<br></p>
  • Misscara still in jail
  • @kreuzkav I thought of you today. I had a samosa from Lahore Kharai which is on corner of eburne road and seven sisters road. It was a vegetarian with a thick crispy pastry and nice vegetarian filling. It was very nice and cost £1. One day I will get round to making a samosa and I will make sure all the angles of corners are exactly 60 degrees.
  • Thanks Sutent.  Never made a somosa despite being a decent cook.  I must try this Lahore Kharai.  I know they're not the healthiest of foods but probably my favourite snack. <div><br></div><div>Thanks Ali and Mirandola as well as a few others for the kind posts while I was doing my time.</div>
  • Looks like the replacement is going to be a Tapas place (according to http://democracy.islington.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=153&MID=2117#AI1457) Run by same person as http://www.praderarestaurant.co.uk/
  • Its sad to see that a long standing affordable popular family run business  go after 10+ years in the area. I guess Indian street type food is not what the new locals want to eat anymore. <div><br></div><div>I went to Pradera once when I lived in Crouch end and I wasnt that impressed. I much preferred La Bota. I hope Pradera are better now. According to the planning application we will get another deli</div>
  • As a resident of Charteris Road whose property backs onto this place, let me tell you this is great news. The business has a massive shed out back that is used for food storage and cooking, completely exposed to the elements. Even the industrial walk in fridges are situated outdoors under a simple corrugated plastic roof. 
  • I will miss Mezbahn - a good option if you needed something to eat on your way to town/back home.  I was a big fan of their samosas and spicy potato balls and the sag paneer was salty but a guilty pleasure.  The Lebanese cafe on Morris place is serving this function for me at the moment - good hot falafel wraps.  By the way Jai Krishna has got a new menu with some interesting new dishes.  We tried the sag and the paneer dosa - both very tasty!