Great things about Stroud Green and the local area that newcomers might not know about

2»

Comments

• edited January 2018
  • Not just any Londis either: the original.
  • Londis are great. When I nipped in on Thur got the response" YOU have been away", like no one is ever supposed to leave SG, nice to be missed , really friendly staff!
  • I like the Nisa by the Wells Terrace exit of the station - even more since I've realised that 20 Marlboro Lights are 5p cheaper there than in Sainsbury's!
  • Main square in the Andover. Really. It's the most architecturally successful open space for a long way. <br>
  • Pedalpower - the cycling club for people with disabilities (learning or physical) and their families / carers, which takes place in Finsbury Park every other Saturday. It's an amazing resource, where people can use all kinds of wonderful bicycles/tricycles/wheelchair bikes and even be taught to ride by qualified cycling instructors and it's all free. Started by a local lady 10 years ago, people now come from all over London to try bikes. I volunteer on the welcome desk and it's a lovely positive experience. Also I think that Park Road lido is one of the best kept secrets in London. It made my summer last year. Unfortunately it is currently closed for refurbishment but is promising to be open in August, all new and improved.
  • As I sit in the back garden with the cricket on and the birds tweeting away yes the ocsional jumbo overhead but I sometimes forget I am in London. There is all this debate about what Stroud Green is and should we have another deli but that's kind of missing the point it's just a nice place to live. I count myself lucky to live in this area it could be so much worse.
  • The gay sauna has closed, and I believe is already being redeveloped, so sorry about that one, newcomers!<div><br></div><div>(Unless there's another one which I've not spotted)<br><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>
  • Allotments off Eversholt st and hidden field/derelict church hall behind St Saviour's.
  • There is a plan to redevelop the field and hall, it belongs to the church. Curate at St Saviours said he can't let anyone in now because it's very dangerous but was apparently very pretty inside.
  • Finsbury Park Cafe runs a loyalty card for hot drinks and on Tuesdays to get double stamps so it's really easy to get a free drink virtually every other week. They also have free wi-fi and if you avoid the lunchtime and tea time rush it's is very handy to just read the papers online or even get some work done. In the winter it's pretty quiet and that's were I decamp to to write stuff up for the WI. The wonderful and very dedicated yoga teacher Julie Tortora lives locally, very near SG&H library and runs general classes from her home as well as antenatal and baby yoga.
  • SG is good for foraging. Wild garlic, blackberries, figs, apples, crab apples, greengages, elderflowers, rosemary and mint that I know of, I'm sure there is more.
  • Nettles should be grasped.
  • Has anyone else noticed the more numerous parakeets this year? They're not close to west London numbers yet, but they're on the right trajectory.
  • Yes, I hear them more than see them, but a very noticeable increase.
  • Shameless self promotion... Locals might not know that we have live music most Sunday evenings from 7pm from the Ragged Out String Band (old Americana and bluegrass). They're in tomorrow so do join us for a few drinks. Our kitchen is still a work in progress but you're welcome to order in from one of Stroud Green's local pizzerias. (We like Fabrizio and La Saporita).
  • edited January 2018
  • Apologies! We are the pub at 20 Fonthill Road, just up from Osteria Tufo. We're on twitter - @WBYeatsN4 - but no website yet.
  • Silver bullet up for sale. 160k
  • Ho Chi Min used to live on Freme Park Road during the 1930<br>