20mph twaddle

So they have finally gone and done it: a the 20 mph blanket driving speed over Haringey. I received an email from Lynne Featherstone today saying she had campaigned to put it through because she had noticed some people were driving too fast near schools. Hmm seems to me that if people are driving too fast and they are already breaking the law and putting 20 mph speed limit on all roads is not going to help much. Unless there is actual enforcement, all this will do is annoy responsible drivers. Speeders will always speed. Anyway, apparently it's going to be announced by the council tonight. Get ready to slow down Haringey!

Comments

• edited January 2018
  • Agreed - a spot of red light enforcement would also be welcome. 
  • Islington proudly declared itself the first 20mph council a while back. I have not noticed it making any difference to the speed of traffic, be that cars or buses.<div><br></div><div>In fact, Hanley Road is possibly slightly more dangerous thanks to the handful who feel compelled to overtake anyone who actually does drive at 20mph.</div>
  • Good move by the council<br>
  • Dear Luirette,<div><br></div><div>To clarify - my campaign was for 20mph on residential roads. The Council's knee-jerk response was to attempt a blanket 20mph limit on every road in the Borough, which of course would not work. Thankfully they eventually backtracked.</div><div><br></div><div>I support 20mph because looking at the evidence there is a clear correlation between impact speed and severe injury - A report by ROSPA found that if you are hit at 30mph there is a 20% likelihood of death, compared to 2.5% at 20mph. In terms of severe injury the chances are 15% at 20mph and 50% at 30mph according to the AA. For children the risk is much higher. </div><div><br></div><div>I agree that enforcement is the key, and will be working with the police and Council to get this working. </div><div><br></div><div>I hope this is helpful, and do let me know if you want to discuss this further or if I can be of any other assistance. </div><div><br></div><div>Lynne</div>
  • Why wouldn't a blanket 20mph limit on all Borough roads work? It's what Islington and Hackney have both implemented (and as have City of London from today I think).<br>
  • is it 20 on TfL "owned" roads ?<br><br>Twenty is plenty <br>