"You should see what they're doing to Stroud Green Road"

Facebook friend recently returned to Islington (Liverpool Road end) after three or four years away in New York - found an astonishingly smart new deli had opened at the end of her street.    Went in and registered surprise.    Quote from barista: "If you think this is flash, you should see what they're doing to Stroud Green Road!"<div><br></div><div>Can it really be so?<br><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>

Comments

• Stroud Green has been in its element this sunny, pleasant summer - thoroughly reminding me what a great place to live it is.<div><br></div><div>I walked up Stroud Green Road from Tollington Park to Hanley Road on Friday evening at about 7.30pm. <span style="line-height: 1.7em;">It cheered me again to see what a fantastic vibrant High Street we have, people enjoying the evening and sat outside, all at independent places.</span><div><br></div><div>What saddened me though was that I was on the Islington side and also strolling past thigh-high piles of rubbish and overfilled bins. The council would never consider allowing the Upper Street or Highbury parts of Islington to look like this at prime time on a Friday evening, so why do we have to put up with it?</div><div><br></div><div>I imagine, for the same reason, that those other fancier parts of Islington don't also have collapsing, cracked pavements like the ones on Stroud Green Road etc. and always look a lot cleaner.</div><div><br></div><div>I have observed over many years that Islington's successive councils, both Labour and Lib Dem, for all their left-leaning righteous posturing are perfectly happy to cater to the borough's rich folk at the expense of the poorer ends. </div><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>
  • edited December 2017
  • Completely agree - amazing considering the leader of the council represents Tollington Ward so must know the state of SGR.
  • The issue I'm finding frustrating is the amount of dumping that goes on. As many of you will know if you live above a shop you put your rubbish and recycling outside your doorstep at set times. The trouble is people seem to think it's a free for all and dump all sorts there outside the required times and sometimes not even in bags. It's disgusting and must be frustrating for the restaurants etc who have to put up with it. People are so blase about it they're dumping stuff with their name and address all over it. I've complained to the council but they just ignore my emails.<div><br></div><div>Rant over. I know it's a small thing but people just have no respect for each other.</div>
  • edited December 2017
  • Harringey are very good at picking up dumped rubish but it needs to be reported to them<br><br>http://www.haringey.gov.uk/report-it<br><br>usually picked up within 24 hours so well done Haringey<br>
  • I wish we could name and shame the berks who dump their old sofas, planks, clothes, old food and shit in our streets.  Who are they?  Locals?<div><br></div><div>I think a "Stroud Green is Not Rubbish" Tumblr with photos linked to the SG Instagram above might be worthwhile.  Anyone could contribute.  Anyone know how to do it?</div><div><br></div><div>I agree, all praise to Haringey for fighting the tide of sleaze and filth.</div>
  • It's not just about picking it up though it's about preventing people doing it in the first place. As I say people are quite happily providing their name and address when they dump which I've forwarded on to no avail. For things like sofas maybe they could check CCTV?
  • Haringey do not extend their zeal to the Park. It's been a tip recently, and not only after the concerts. Conversely, Islington leave SGR to fester but our dust men and street sweepers are keen as mustard.
  • A lot of the rubbish strewn around is as a result of drunks kicking bags around and emptying bins. 
  • I've found fixmystreet.com useful when I've wanted things like potholes fixing. My guess is that rich areas tend to have better maintenance than poor areas because there are more people there with time and willingness to lobby. 
  • I'm glad people seem to agree with me and it's not just me ranting.<div><br></div><div>The thing is that this is not just the council being slack in giving poor Islington's streets the same treatment it gives rich Islington's but all the rubbish on Stroud Green Road is exacerbated by the council's actions.</div><div><br></div><div>The residents and shops I think are told to put their rubbish out on the street, but as this doesn't seem to be at times when it would make sense to do so and there is nowhere to actually put it, it ends up added to, piled up and strewn all over the place.</div><div><br></div><div>Secondly, while I'd agree our street cleaners and parks teams seem reasonable, overflowing bins not emptied for days is a long-running problem round here - and they were in plentiful supply last Friday evening, as people were enjoying Stroud Green Road.</div><div><br></div><div>You don't see this on Upper Street - and they pay exactly the same council tax as we do.</div><div><br></div><div>If this was a one-off, then it wouldn't be so bad, but Islington is very guilty of consistently neglecting its side of Stroud Green Road.</div>
  • edited January 2016
  • Those houses cost a lot more down Upper St way.<div><br></div><div>Might get dirtier under <a href="http://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/news/crime-courts/half_libraries_in_islington_to_shut_under_secret_council_proposal_1_3716139">this list drawn up for discussion</a>, which amounts to do less stuff and make already over-zealous and overpriced parking more over-zealous and over-priced.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • gardener joe<br><br>It is noticable in the Planning Applications thread that lots of them are extensions.<br><br>Must be people who have bought  a while ago had a  100 % or more increase in value so probably can't aford to move up so use the value to extend the loan to build the extension <br>