Exeter Street Bakery

2»

Comments

• edited December 2017
  • Popped in this morning to check it out. Absolutely delicious apricot pastry. Decent flat white – though not up to Vagabond standards. Some nice comfy padded seating along the window. They are definitely making their flat breads and foccacia onsite, though I got the impression that their other breads and pastries are coming from the other site at the moment.<br><br>What interested me most is that they have an interesting evening menu, a selection of bottled ales, and a cocktail menu...<br><br>Prices for takeaway coffee and pastry were only slightly above the SGR average I’d say.<br>
  • Got two decent sized slices of plain focaccia with salt and rosemary on the other day to take home and eat. Was £4.60, I think.<div><br></div><div>It was good focaccia, went very well with a certain brand of local olive oil.</div><div><br></div><div>I see they have replicated the no prices on stuff formula that they have in Kensington. Not sure that's really wise.</div>
  • I had a large and extremely tasty almond croissant there, no complaints at all.   
  • Two slices of bread for £4.60 @Papa L? The world has finally gone mad. I saw a very interesting article showing 16 children around the world, and their bedrooms the other day. I recommend you all google it. We sit about moaning about not being able to get coffee exactly the way we want it or our bread not being quite perfect when there are kids sleeping on flea ridden sofas in the street. Made me feel sad and ashamed. You all know that the actual cost of a cup of Starbucks/Monmouth/Vagabond coffee is anything from 8p to 12p right?
  • Yep, £4.60 for two slices of fancy foreign bread. It was two big bits of very good fancy foreign bread though that was enough for lunch for two people with a few little extras out the fridge, ie a bit of parmigiano, ham and tomato and some Stroud Green olive oil.<div><br></div><div>It's still £4.60 for some bread, but then the raw materials for a pizza hardly cost anything either and so on.</div><div><br></div><div>Here's a <a href="http://simple-living-in-suffolk.co.uk/2014/07/today-i-shall-live-like-a-king/">good short blog post</a> I read recently on how blessed most of us are to live in modern day Britain.</div><div><br></div><div><a href="http://www.raptitude.com/2011/01/a-day-in-the-future/">This is good too</a></div>
  • edited December 2017
  • And not just staff wage, but staff *living* wage, hopefully.
  • I suppose it depends on whether the question you're asking is 'Is it reasonable to spend £2 on coffee when I can make it at home for far less', or 'Are coffee shops rapacious bastards who overcharge'. I suspect miss annie was asking the former. Idoru's right either way.
  • I was going to pick up croissants this morning but they were unpacking. Maybe it is the French person in me but I don't think you are a true bakery unless one can come in at anytime in the early hours and pick up goodies.
  • I spoke to the owner of the Spence bakery in Church St., Stokey, a while back and mentioned that we're in dire need of some proper bread (they do sourdough, rye, sunflower, and whatnot. She is looking into expanding. Here's hope. Need to pop by or send an email at some point and ask how things are going. I'm pretty sure they'd do well here. Good coffee, nice cakes, and fabulous bread. All home baked.
  • Excellent cappuccino, yesterday. Ambiente more congenial and comfortable than I had realised, from peering in, from the door. Not busy. Exceptionally helpful, friendly staff. Some nice little homemade biscuits and cakes, @ £1. I shall be going again.
  • Bloody noisy music, though. Would there be any mileage in starting a QUIET coffee shop? Probably not. I know only one other person who hates the omnipresent music babble as much as I do.
  • Me! I hate it almost as much as 'your-call-is-important-to-us-please-hold' music ... Though I seldom find myself sitting in coffee shops, so not a good business plan to follow my preferences.
  • Yay! And then there were three. Any more? Actually, the Dream River, though not perfect, is one of the quieter ones. My dry cappuccino of 5 minutes ago wasn't bad, either. Sorry you don't do coffee shops, Kate. We could have had a nice moan together. The puttingyouonhold so-and-so's have ruined Vivaldi's Seasons, it's true. Clapham North underground once played the punters bits of St Matthew's Passion. I was rather impressed, perhaps because it was unexpected, to say the least.
  • Are these guys doing Sfogilatelle? That'd do me nicely.
  • Tch tch - spelling. Sfogliatelle. The Italian village where Stroud Green Olive Oil comes from has an annual Sfogliatelle making competition to its unique recipe. But no, I'm not......
  • I agree the service isn't good enough yet but it will get sorted I'm sure, the parmesan and red onion loaf is yummy
  • Maiking bread is easy after you have done it  a few times.<br><br>Try  this <br><br>http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/sundriedtomatoandoli_66043<br><br>It just takesa little time but is worth it<br>
  • @krapyrubsnif the curse of typing too fast
  • @matt I'll bring you one back if you spell my name right
  • Firstly I wish the owners good luck with their venture. I personally like to see people have a go more so if they are living local Was in earlier today. Had 2 coffees , 2 sandwiches & 2 small glasses house wine. Total price just under £24. The wine was the £4 size and was delicious. But for a quick place to pop into I feel these prices are a wee bit high and takes it above a papagone pricing level ie fresh hot pizza for 2 to share & drinks would be cheaper. Also I feel the owners missed a trick by not naming it after a local road, street or postcode which underneath on the sign in smaller writing they could have put part of the Exeter street bakery. As it is locals & visitors would not naturally associate to it as there is no Exeter street local.
  • The Morris Place Bakery.
  • The original one is neither on nor near an Exeter Street so I think it's just a 'brand'.<br>