Lost Time

So I have decided to have another go at A la recherche du temps perdu/In Search of Lost Time/... and was wondering if there is anybody out there who might want to join me (help me make it to the end). I was thinking of a moderate to slow reading pace and wanted to take about a month to six weeks per volume. I have the Modern Library (Moncrieff) edition, might be interesting if somebody read a different translation, or if there was maybe even someone who is capable of reading the original. Thank you.<div>Carry on.</div>

Comments

• edited July 2014
    Good luck, Marquis. A La Recherche is one of those where you get stuck at p.40 time and time again - but I got there in the end, and now count it as one of the most powerful reads of my life. I've also read chunks in the original, and looked at different translations. The latest idea seems barmy (balmy? Mable will know): a differsnt translator for each book. Moncrieff is still best, imho. Mandarin, like Proust. 1 or 2 major gaffes, I'm told. To encourage you, It might be worth pojnting out that P's humour can be Dickensian in scale. My latest p.40 book is Ulysses. One Joyceian suggests I (re)start at the back, with Molly's soliloquy. I know it'll be worth the effort - and so is P. You can read book 1 on its own, if you like. Some think Swann's Way is best, and can be taken as more or less complete in itself. Don't give up.
  • edited July 2014
    I've read bits and pieces of Ulysses.  I'd recommend the Molly Bloom sequence.<div><br></div><div>The 1967 film is a good introduction to the lovely language of the book.</div><div><br></div><div>
  • Looks good, Kreuzkav. Thanks.
  • Thank you, checkski. I can only recommend persisting with Ulysses. If I had to nominate one favourite novel, it would probably be it (no kidding). Not that I claim to understand every bit of it,  but once you have found your way in, it is one of those reads that you wish would never end. There's some incredibly funny passages and also quite a bit of  bawdiness (as everyone knows). I have read it cover to cover three times, with a few aborted attempts in between, and every time I finish it I immediately plan to read it again at some point, as it's a completely new experience every time.<div><br></div><div>You just have to continue reading through the passages you can't get into to the next 'clearing'. It helps if you read some kind of secondary literature to guide you along. There's an immensely helpful introduction by Declan Kiberd, Ulysses and Us, which is directed at the 'general reader' and which among other things explains the touchpoints with Homer's epic (I just saw that the Wikipedia article does that as well) and outlines the chapters, etc. When I read it for the first time as a teenager I just enjoyed the intoxicating language, without much hope of getting much sense out of it, and even found that rewarding. For some reason the same approach has never worked with Finnegan's Wake. Good luck, in any case.<div><br></div><div>Thanks Kreuzkav!</div></div>
  • edited July 2014
    Yes, the Declan Kiberd 'Ulysses and Us' is a good study of the book and as it says on the back, it was never meant to be an obscure book for the elite - in fact it is a book for everyone, and offers a humane vision of a more tolerant and decent life under the pressure of the modern world. <div><br></div><div>Broken down into sections as the book is, concerning different daily functions like eating, wandering, waking...it offers a good down to earth guide to an amazing book.  Knowing Dublin helps too as it's a book about urban space and its relationship with personal space.</div>
  • I have 'Ulysses Annotated', by Gifford and Seidman. Every word is analysed, which makes it a formidably slow read. Perhaps I should use it like a dictionary, as I do with, say, Proust in the original, just for the words which hold me up. Thanks for your help, advice, interest,  both of you.<div><br></div><div>Much of what you say about you and Ulysses could be about me and Proust, Marquis. Stick with it; and let us know how you get on.<br></div>
  • I'm in as you are. Read the Moncrieff as a teenager and loved it (no, I didn't have a boyfriend, why did you ask?) thought might try Lydia Davis this time.
  • edited September 2014
    I had both a boyfriend and girlfriend and neither did me much good. Do you mean you're in as in you're in? A catch-up some time on Swann's Way around the end of September?
  • Are you still working your way through Swann's Way? I'd love to join you to read and discuss In the Shadow of Young Girls...read Swann's Way a few years back and loved it. Would be great to pick up the thread.<br>
  • Hi, I am about 100 pages into In a Budding Grove now, so happy to meet. Such a great read! How is Ms Ndola doing?
  • (Within a Budding Grove is the title of the second volume as revised by D. J. Enright, I just realised.)
  • In the end I went for the Montcrieff again. End of September might be tricky as I'll be abroad - could we do early October? 
  • Fine with me - enjoy Abroad!
  • Thanks for your message, Marquis. I might join in too, if you'll have me. Only thing is a) I'm rusty, re Proust and his dramatis personae, and  b) not currently in that world. Still - I'd be interested to hear what you make of it all.
  • I'm tempted too. There's a full set on my shelves that has been giving me reproachful looks for at least a couple of decades. If you're open let me know when you're meeting and I may just try and bomb through a volume ...
  • OK - how about mid October then ... with the middle of October being Thursday 16? Should be enough time for a leisurely paced bomb-through. Checkski, a bit of rust will only give our round that fashionable 'distressed' look, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.
  • What a classy compliment! OK, Marquis, date noted, venue to be decided nearer the time? I hope the others can make it, especially firsttime Proustian Mable. Regret I shan't have time to re-read, not least because bloody Ulysses still looms on my literary horizon - but I shall be very interested to hear what you all make of the other chap. 'Longtemps je me suis couché de bonne heure...' The opening sentence, as far as I remember, and probably the shortest. Marcel prefers commas to full stops.
  • Marquis, Tues 21 at the revamped Shaftsbury around 8? Could do Wed or Thurs if that's better.
  • I don't do late evenings any more, so it would have to be around 6, for me - but I'm only an add-on, so you others do what you think best. Teatime would be better still - with a madeleine or two, natch. Ho ho. Not Wednesday, for me, if I were to come.
  • Went past the Shaftesbury last night, & while the scaffolding is down, it still doesn't look anywhere close to being ready to reopen...have you seen a re-opening sign on it, @ Mirandola?
  • @vetski, We got a leaflet (rather pretty) saying it was reopening on Friday 17th. @checkski, would love to meet earlier, but small person goes to bed around seven and I'd be sad to miss bedtime.
  • Tuesday 21 is fine with me. I could do a little bit earlier, but 6 would mean I'd have to come directly from work, in suit and with a grumpy face. And nobody wants that! Shame about Wednesdays, checkski! It's the only day where I'm more flexible as I work from home most Wednesdays.<br><br>Is hlaurison still in the gang? I'm approaching the end of the second volume, about 100 pages to go...<br>
  • I meant this Wed, Marquis. Might be free on another one.. but Mirandola has tucking up duties earlyevening, so I think I'd better drop out. I hope you report back here; wd be interested to hear how you all got on.
  • Programme about Proust on Radio 3 at 10.00pm tomorrow.<div><br></div>
  • I will be there. Specs, book, awkward-looking, grey North Face anorak.
  • Same. Except kindle not book and green-ish jacket. Also short-ish brown hair and no glasses.
  • Ditto, very. Only my poor little brain hurt a bit afterwards. Proust, pub quiz, general chat plus that one beer too much, all at once! Next time we could try and do it all on unicycles. Or pennyfarthings, to be more in theme.